Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800??
May 31, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #1,261 of 1,379
Strange I think totally different than most of the folks here. I own HD 800, LCD-2 and HE-6. Both LCD-2 and HE-6 are no doubt good cans, sound differently but HD 800 stays on top of my list in terms of unique sound quality imo. I use WA22 and just got Phonitor. LCD-2 is good for monitoring though but I love the naturalness of HD 800. But at the end it all comes down to the type of person you really are. Different people like different types of sound and material.

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #1,263 of 1,379

Quote:
Strange I think totally different than most of the folks here. I own HD 800, LCD-2 and HE-6. Both LCD-2 and HE-6 are no doubt good cans, sound differently but HD 800 stays on top of my list in terms of unique sound quality imo. I use WA22 and just got Phonitor. LCD-2 is good for monitoring though but I love the naturalness of HD 800. But at the end it all comes down to the type of person you really are. Different people like different types of sound and material.

Which do you like best out of your WA22, and what tubes do you have in it?

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #1,264 of 1,379
mmm... but... my taste tells me the LCD is more natural, I know it’s personal preference... can’t help thinking there’s a lot of deafys out there. lol.  

both the HD800 and LCD-2 sounds best through my balanced EHHA, the balanced Beta 22 is just too mild mannered, a little sterile, that’s a mild criticism btw, the EHHA has better presence.

Both great phones, my systems a desserted island set-up, there can be only one, for me it’s the LCD-2. 

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #1,265 of 1,379
I think it's time to change your DAC, John.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #1,267 of 1,379
I just got the LCD2 I'm borrowing in today. I'll have them through the weekend. I'll test them out on the three desktop amps I'm using and compare it with the HD800 and give a few impressions early next week.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #1,268 of 1,379

Quote:
I just got the LCD2 I'm borrowing in today. I'll have them through the weekend. I'll test them out on the three desktop amps I'm using and compare it with the HD800 and give a few impressions early next week.

Ah... the promise of some good reading. 
L3000.gif

popcorn.gif

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #1,269 of 1,379
Although the bass is at little upper end from natural but good for house/electronic. The midrange is excellent. I have WA22 with stock tubes and balanced cables. 

But my Phonitor trumped WA22 in synergy, distortions and dynamics, power to drive any phones, bass and treble extremely satisfying, performance level far from all other amps (tubes and solid states) I have heard (to my ears).

Let me say it again that it is very subjective and totally based on every individual's experiences.

Quote:

Which do you like best out of your WA22, and what tubes do you have in it?

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #1,270 of 1,379
I have never heard the Phonitor, but it outputs much more power into high impedance loads than low impedance loads.  From the specs, it would not appear to be an ideal amplifier for the LCD-2, and much better suited to the HD-800. 

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #1,271 of 1,379

Quote:
mmm... but... my taste tells me the LCD is more natural, I know it’s personal preference... can’t help thinking there’s a lot of deafys out there. lol.  

Both great phones, my systems a desserted island set-up, there can be only one, for me it’s the LCD-2. 

OK, That's your choice and I'm tickled pink for you, but my dessert Island phones would be my HD 800's (blue dragon ver.III cable) with Chris Ivan's custom Tube Amp!  See we can all be happy!!!! 

Jun 4, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #1,272 of 1,379
What might be an interesting comparison would be these cans, but each with a separate rig most suited to them individually. Comparing entire set-ups would be quite fun I think.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #1,273 of 1,379
Quote:Originally Posted by Currawong 

"What might be an interesting comparison would be these cans, but each with a separate rig most suited to them individually. Comparing entire set-ups would be quite fun I think."

For a brief time I have both of these cans with three different amps. I suppose that would be several different combinations.

That said, using one setup with the two headphones as the only variable makes it easier to evaluate the actual headphones involved.

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #1,274 of 1,379

Quote:
What might be an interesting comparison would be these cans, but each with a separate rig most suited to them individually. Comparing entire set-ups would be quite fun I think.

I like this idea!

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #1,275 of 1,379
Skylab talked about some of this in the Woo Audio Unite thread, his initial impressions are that the LCD-2 with Leben, Decware, and Trafomatic, are still a better combo than the HD-800 and WA-22, but he seems to think that the WA-22 were just what the HD-800 needed, at least to get some usage.  I don't own a pair of HD-800s yet, but I'll probably pick up a pair.  Then perhaps I can try listening to some different combinations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back