Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800??
Jan 18, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #376 of 1,379

[size=medium]What is this talk of headphones from "yesteryear" and "last gen" headphones? Has the HD800, T1, LCD-2 and HE-6 eclipsed the Grado HP1000, Sony MDR-R10, AKG K1000 and Sony Qualia?[/size]

I suspect that some of the older and arguably wiser heads at Head-Fi, who sadly post less here these days (with the exception of Skylab) might disagree that the current crop of top-tier headphones surpass the performance of the legendary out of production dynamic headphones. It seems to me that these "last gen" headphones from "yesteryear" continue to set the standards by which, the newer offerings will be judged.

By all means Head-Fi'ers, enthuse about the headphones that you enjoy but some circumspection wouldn't go astray before conveniently forgetting that there have been some excellent headphones that you haven't heard, which precede the latest Head-Fi darlings. I'm finding the FOTM (even if it does exceed one month's duration), hyperbole and fanboyism that pervade this forum increasingly tiresome.

[size=medium]With regard to the LCD-2, I liked it but it didn't strike me as the last word in hi-fi headphones. It didn't sound any "better" to me than the other highly priced headphones that I recently auditioned; just a different flavour of a high resolution transducer. I think that some Head-Fi'ers get far too carried away with this hobby and are delusional about their hearing abilities. [/size]

[size=medium]Some of the posts that I read here are so ridiculous that I almost have to question the sanity of the people writing them; particularly when they claim that they can discern imperceptible differences between headphones drivers such as driver "speed", "PRAT" and the extremes of high and low frequencies. [/size]

[size=medium]What are these people doing listening to headphones anyway with such canine hearing abilities? It should be unbearable for them. [/size]And don't even get me started on the audible differences between cables. But I suppose being an audiophile has everything to do with fanaticism and very little to do with common sense. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #377 of 1,379

Quote:

[size=medium]What is this talk of headphones from "yesteryear" and "last gen" headphones? Has the HD800, T1, LCD-2 and HE-6 eclipsed the Grado HP1000, Sony MDR-R10, AKG K1000 and Sony Qualia?[/size]

I suspect that some of the older and arguably wiser heads at Head-Fi, who sadly post less here these days (with the exception of Skylab) might disagree that the current crop of top-tier headphones surpass the performance of the legendary out of production dynamic headphones. It seems to me that these "last gen" headphones from "yesteryear" continue to set the standards by which, the newer offerings will be judged.

By all means Head-Fi'ers, enthuse about the headphones that you enjoy but some circumspection wouldn't go astray before conveniently forgetting that there have been some excellent headphones that you haven't heard, which precede the latest Head-Fi darlings. I'm finding the FOTM (even if it does exceed one month's duration), hyperbole and fanboyism that pervade this forum increasingly tiresome.

[size=medium]With regard to the LCD-2, I liked it but it didn't strike me as the last word in hi-fi headphones. It didn't sound any "better" to me than the other highly priced headphones that I recently auditioned; just a different flavour of a high resolution transducer. I think that some Head-Fi'ers get far too carried away with this hobby and are delusional about their hearing abilities. [/size]

[size=medium]Some of the posts that I read here are so ridiculous that I almost have to question the sanity of the people writing them; particularly when they claim that they can discern imperceptible differences between headphones drivers such as driver "speed", "PRAT" and the extremes of high and low frequencies. [/size]

[size=medium]What are these people doing listening to headphones anyway with such canine hearing abilities? It should be unbearable for them. [/size]And don't even get me started on the audible differences between cables. But I suppose being an audiophile has everything to do with fanaticism and very little to do with common sense. 

well said, i sometimes also wonder how to hear the differences inbetween the frequencies with just my ears and come up with those numbers

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #378 of 1,379
Well said - best post i've read on here for ages. (as a lurker).

As a side issue - you know how people serial upgrade, yet the majority never address the issues of the room they actually listen in - via speakers I should add - what about via cans? Perhaps the ears themselves? When did you last have a check up to see how much wax was clogging your ears and also - what about the room, position you actually do your listening? Surely an office environment cannot produce as satisfying a listening experience than a nice sofa - lying down - with a glass of your favourite tipple? 

Just a thought anyway - that's it's not always the equipment that improves overall what you "hear".

Feel free to shoot me down if you disagree? L

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #379 of 1,379

Quote:

Of course they have. And don't you know that Senn's once flagship, the HD650, is now officially classified "mid-fi" because it's available at a lower price and is now several years old, meaning that newer driver designs have left it wheezing in the dust. Besides, later models are brighter and clearer, so who wants these boring, flat old fart phones anymore.

This info courtesy of the Under-25 Head-Fi Community. Spoken by pp312,

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #380 of 1,379

Quote:

You failed! *shoots him in the ear*

That's beacuse when criticaly listening a headphone it should be done in a fashion such as to be able concetrate solely on sound parameters, That's why it's unwise to do so when you're half-way drunk or just after getting the ears waxed-out (beacuse of the obvious temporary gain in hearing) no to mention a comprative AB test against other headphones where a valid gorund for testing has to be set, i.e volume match with an SPL meter and isolating the tested gear.

As to Mrspenkelink supposedley brilliantly rebuking rant, I think it comes out only as self-rightous and obviously taking words out of context, but it's not really my fight to argue about.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #381 of 1,379

Quote:

"it's unwise to do so when you're half-way drunk"

Sir! Are you suggesting I has a drink problem?!

Seriously - all you said is true. I was sort-of playing devils advocate there. L

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #382 of 1,379
That must have been a really sad headphone experience. My LCD-2 sounds crystal clear, with excellent treble. IMHO.
( I also have a DA-box that can simulate various listening environments, including open-air festival speakers. )

Quote:
Having also played the saxophone, piano, a variety of synths, kalimba and other things, I have to say the LCD-2 sounds nothing at all like live music to my ears. LCD-2s violin is very good though. It actually sounds like a very refined version of those awful, muddy speakers with no treble you hear at those open air festivals.

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #383 of 1,379
That's just an assumption of yours.  Listening can reveal whether the differences are actually audible. Reality is always what to measure against, not what you think would be reasonable or sensible.

Quote:
And don't even get me started on the audible differences between cables. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #384 of 1,379

Quote:
Quote:

That's beacuse when criticaly listening a headphone it should be done in a fashion such as to be able concetrate solely on sound parameters, That's why it's unwise to do so when you're half-way drunk or just after getting the ears waxed-out (beacuse of the obvious temporary gain in hearing) no to mention a comprative AB test against other headphones where a valid gorund for testing has to be set, i.e volume match with an SPL meter and isolating the tested gear.

As to Mrspenkelink supposedley brilliantly rebuking rant, I think it comes out only as self-rightous and obviously taking words out of context, but it's not really my fight to argue about.

Not self-righteous, just annoyed. The phrases that I cited to which, I presume you refer have been bandied about the forum threads recently and show a distinct lack of historical context.  

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #385 of 1,379

Quote:
That's just an assumption of yours.  Listening can reveal whether the differences are actually audible. Reality is always what to measure against, not what you think would be reasonable or sensible.

Quote:

My assumption, your belief. Neither can be proven. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #386 of 1,379

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

My assumption, your belief. Neither can be proven. 

That's where you are wrong. To step out of ones fantasies for a moment, to actually listen, to find out how it actually sounds, instead of just assuming this or that, provides the evidence. As always, when you want to know how something actually is, you have to let go of your assumptions and turn to the world.

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #387 of 1,379
^ There is no wrong or right about it. We are discussing perceptions here, not empirical proofs. If you believe that you can hear the difference between one cable from another, then take comfort from that. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #388 of 1,379

Quote:

What a great post! Thanks for writing this. 
beerchug.gif

A little bit of common sense would be great from time to time...

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #389 of 1,379
This is turning into sound science, so let's leave this for now. (You are wrong again though, but this thread isn't the right place to discuss it.)

Quote:
^ There is no wrong or right about it. We are discussing perceptions here, not empirical proofs. If you believe that you can hear the difference between one cable from another, then take comfort from that. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #390 of 1,379

Quote:
Quote:

Excellent post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back