Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800??
Jun 16, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #121 of 1,379

Quote:
BTW, thanks for the kind comments guys.

Thanks for the wealth of data and explanations. I am already in the top 1% of the general population with regards to knowledge about headphones (as is anyone else hanging out on head-fi), but there difference between myself and the guys who really know their stuff is a lot bigger than I had expected. Knowing *why* things sound like they do is a big jump from knowing what things sound like. We all know Grados are bright.

Seeing the graphs, especially the square sine graph, really helps to visualize that the headphones are not perfect and color the sound a bit, despite being very very good.

I know I would be happy with either headphone, and even with some of the lessor headphones out there (the ones that my friends think I'm crazy for buying).

I too am disappointed I did not spend any time with the LCD-2 at CanJam. Next year.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #122 of 1,379

Quote:
kwkarth certainly does know his stuff. I agree with his earlier reply that one can argue the pitch and toss until the cows come home. Be my guest to make sense of that mixed metaphor.

I do feel compelled to repeat that I respect his knowledge of this subject, grace and seemingly infinite patience. I almost feel guilty for implying that he is a know-it-all. I withdraw that implication forthwith, and look forward to engaging him in further pointless debate.  

Lemme see...  argue the pitch and toss...  traditionally the game played by pitching/tossing pennies toward a wall, with scoring being based upon closeness to the wall.  Some modified shuffle board rules apply as well.  Personally made me think of pitching the baby out with the bath water and tossing my cookies...
basshead.gif
  but I digress...  

Here's bit of more edifying prose to consider;

Pitch and toss

"If" by Rudyard Kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream -- and not make dreams your master;
If you can think -- and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings -- nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run --
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And -- which is more -- you'll be a Man, my son!

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #123 of 1,379
Great thread. Two questions:

1)How does the LCD2 stand up against the HD800 for complex musical passages? I know some of this is going to be due to source and amp, but I have pretty good gear in that regard and I'm just wondering if the HD800 can keep its king of the hill status for complex large scale orchestral passages.
2)Does anyone have a link for an online retailer of the Audeze LCD2? I can't find a reputable one thru google and am unsure if a head-fi sponsor carries them.

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #124 of 1,379

Quote:
Great thread. Two questions:

1)How does the LCD2 stand up against the HD800 for complex musical passages? I know some of this is going to be due to source and amp, but I have pretty good gear in that regard and I'm just wondering if the HD800 can keep its king of the hill status for complex large scale orchestral passages.
2)Does anyone have a link for an online retailer of the Audeze LCD2? I can't find a reputable one thru google and am unsure if a head-fi sponsor carries them.

If you carefully examine the midband square wave plots of the 800s and the LCD-2s you can see, objectively, that the LCD-2s should do a better job with complex musical passages than the 800.  

Subjectively, what I for one hear, is, better, more accurate soundstaging, better separation between instruments, much more revealing of layering and acoustic venue, etc, on the part of the LCD-2.  What I also hear is a more realistic portrayal of tonality, timber, pace, and body of instruments and voice with the LCD-2.  This is just my subjective opinion, now you'll have to hear from others with their experiences.

Oh, I believe ALO audio sells the LCD-2 along with Audez'e themselves.

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #125 of 1,379

Quote:
Lemme see...  argue the pitch and toss...  traditionally the game played by pitching/tossing pennies toward a wall, with scoring being based upon closeness to the wall.  Some modified shuffle board rules apply as well.  Personally made me think of pitching the baby out with the bath water and tossing my cookies...
basshead.gif
  but I digress...  

Here's bit of more edifying prose to consider;

Pitch and toss

"If" by Rudyard Kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream -- and not make dreams your master;
If you can think -- and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings -- nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run --
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And -- which is more -- you'll be a Man, my son!

Indeed. May I offer a line that has resonated with me, although I do not know from whence it came: "The measure of a man is sometimes uncomfortable".

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #126 of 1,379
(FRIGGN NEW FORUM THING WONT LET MY TYPE UNDER THE QUOTE BOX!?!?!?!?)

I'm guessing you meant to put HD800 where the ??? are in you post? Which means your pretty much split down the middle? I really need to start a separate HD800 and symphonic music threat to cast a wider net of opinions in regards to classical and the HD800. I'll look into ALO. Got to support the locals. Much appreciated.

Quote:
  \  
Subjectively, what I for one hear, ???? is, better, more accurate soundstaging.....

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #127 of 1,379

Quote:
(FRIGGN NEW FORUM THING WONT LET MY TYPE UNDER THE QUOTE BOX!?!?!?!?)

I'm guessing you meant to put HD800 where the ??? are in you post? Which means your pretty much split down the middle? I really need to start a separate HD800 and symphonic music threat to cast a wider net of opinions in regards to classical and the HD800. I'll look into ALO. Got to support the locals. Much appreciated.

Why do so many people have trouble with this? You just move your mouse below the quoted text and type...

Jun 17, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #128 of 1,379

Quote:

Why do so many people have trouble with this? You just move your mouse below the quoted text and type...

The ability to do this seems to come and go... I had a bit of trouble with it yesterday at certain times. Maybe they fixed it.
wink_face.gif

Jun 17, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #129 of 1,379

Quote:

Do you seriously think I just got on the internet yesterday? Compare when we each joined head-fi newbie. It's the site upgrade and I'll hold my tongue for the rest of my thoughts becuase I'm classy that way.

Jun 17, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #130 of 1,379

Quote:
Indeed. May I offer a line that has resonated with me, although I do not know from whence it came: "The measure of a man is sometimes uncomfortable".

TheJudge: Here's a similar quote from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.: "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." Both you and kwkarth as well as the others in this discussion have stood tall against any measure of a man.
kwkarth and TheJudge: Thanks for sharing these guides ("If" and this quote on the "measure of a man") for discussions as well as for life. Re the poem by Kipling, a friend told me that the lines "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster / And treat those two impostors just the same" are prominently displayed on one of the walls of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, site of the Wimbledon Championships.

Jun 17, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #131 of 1,379

Quote:

Do you seriously think I just got on the internet yesterday? Compare when we each joined head-fi newbie. It's the site upgrade and I'll hold my tongue for the rest of my thoughts becuase I'm classy that way.

Oh please. As if post count has anything to do with whether or not you can point and click below the quoted text and start typing. But hey, if your post count makes you feel superior in some way to me then that hints at some deeper psychological issue. Most men who drive fast sports cars have the same mentality.

My hat is off to you, sir, who unquestionably has the obvious upper hand here. I'm not holding a full deck as it seems so please excuse me my harsh criticisms about your posting capabilities. Even the giants of the internet and headfi make mistakes, and the newbies must never help them out or explain how to post (how dare they! What a gross display of role confusion we have here). Every time I log on to this site to read about headphones I shudder and tremble upon crossing paths (and swords it seems) with 1,000+ headfiers, I mean sheesh, thank God you did hold your tongue cause I probably would've had to clean up a puddle of urine below my chair. 

I'll think twice about responding to your posts from now on. I mean, christ, you're just so scary and intimidating.

Piss off.

Jun 17, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #132 of 1,379
Now that more people are receiving their LCD-2 any more comparisons to the HD800? What are the most notable differences between the two to your ears and what changes from genre to genre?

Jun 17, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #133 of 1,379

Quote:
As if post count has anything to do with whether or not you can point and click below the quoted text and start typing.  

IF you go straight to your reply, it's fine. But if you edit the quoted text before you go underneath to type your reponse, you can't get there.

Jun 17, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #134 of 1,379

Quote:
IF you go straight to your reply, it's fine. But if you edit the quoted text before you go underneath to type your reponse, you can't get there.

You can edit the quoted text and still get under it to type.  I do this all the time.  Just be careful that you don't delete the extra line feed that get's you into the white area since you can't recreate it easily.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #135 of 1,379

Quote:
You can edit the quoted text and still get under it to type.  I do this all the time.  

Now it's working...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back