Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Mar 24, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #4,726 of 6,787
What's the number to be considered as low THD in bass?

Meze Elite produce THD 0,03% or below for bass section (and entire spectrum actually), and I think most people don't categorise them as lack in bass quantity.

That is because Elite has more energy in the 125hz to 375hz region.

Mar 24, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #4,729 of 6,787
In Empyrean case probably not. In other headphones... I don't know, don't own measuring rig and many headphones to make my own conclusions, on the other hand I don't see a reason why not to believe to Dan on his findings.
To some extent it definitely has

Mar 24, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #4,730 of 6,787
So in short, THD number has no correlation with the amount of bass.
Second order harmonics in the bass region can produce more impactful bass on some bass shy headphones. This info is per Sennheiser, which is why the HD800S has overall more bass distortion than the HD800, but the HD800 has more 3rd harmonic distortion than the HD800S. So the bass on the HD800S sounds quite a bit more impactful than the HD800 bass. This could be the concept being discussed, but I do not know if it applies to planar headphones with linear bass, and completely different mechanical specifications.

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #4,731 of 6,787
In Empyrean case probably not. In other headphones... I don't know, don't own measuring rig and many headphones to make my own conclusions, on the other hand I don't see a reason why not to believe to Dan on his findings.
To some extent it definitely has
Don't forget that each manufacturer has different goals in mind in their designs, so any design is only "wrong" if it doesn't meet those goals. But, most importantly, we can choose which of those goals, and subsequently headphones, meets our own listening criteria.

Now that we have both a variety of excellent equipment available, and a good understanding of what to look for, we can balance both the type of tuning we like in headphones, with the amount of extra even-order harmonics we like in audio electronics, to find the perfect match for our preferences.

Mar 25, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #4,732 of 6,787
Don't forget that each manufacturer has different goals in mind in their designs, so any design is only "wrong" if it doesn't meet those goals. But, most importantly, we can choose which of those goals, and subsequently headphones, meets our own listening criteria.

Now that we have both a variety of excellent equipment available, and a good understanding of what to look for, we can balance both the type of tuning we like in headphones, with the amount of extra even-order harmonics we like in audio electronics, to find the perfect match for our preferences.
Of course, at the end our listening is the most important.
The problem is our ear and mind many times can play tricks on us :wink:
And some reference point is highly needed.

Mar 25, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #4,733 of 6,787
What's the number to be considered as low THD in bass?

Meze Elite produce THD 0,03% or below for bass section (and entire spectrum actually), and I think most people don't categorise them as lack in bass quantity.
The question is: at what volume?

The Liric is 0.05% @94db.
Above 100 db clearly descending.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eze-liric-review-closed-back-headphone.29404/

I can well imagine that people perceive the Elite as "satisfactory" in the bass.
In the upper bass there is an extra boost.

Screenshot_20220325-053756_Samsung Internet.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

For me this tuning would be nothing.
To be honest I find the frequency response creepy between 20-500hz...

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #4,734 of 6,787
It's a good idea to at least post the link to where measurements were obtained. They should never been seen as an absolute representation, as different rigs will produce different results, and an FR graph only provides a relatively small amount of data about a headphone.

Mar 25, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #4,735 of 6,787
What's going on in the classified?
Have all Lcd-5 owners agreed to sell?

Mar 25, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #4,737 of 6,787
Mar 25, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #4,739 of 6,787
Like I've said several times before, lots of owners who love their LCD-4/zs want the upgraded Audeze and still want that house sound, but get blind sided by a headphone with actual mid presence. That or they are moving on to the Susvara / 1266.

Mar 25, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #4,740 of 6,787
Well, most of them don't do that with other headphones either.

Today, 3 weeks ago my LCD 5, was delivered to Audeze.
I hope the repair god is merciful, and let mine be finished soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back