Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Mar 25, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #4,741 of 6,787
Like I've said several times before, lots of owners who love their LCD-4/zs want the upgraded Audeze and still want that house sound, but get blind sided by a headphone with actual mid presence. That or they are moving on to the Susvara / 1266.
This explanation seems very plausible to me.
It would be so easy though. -5db at 3500hz.🤷

Screenshot_20220325-220201_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20220325-220049_Samsung Internet.jpg

Obviously they didn't give their brain enough time to decontaminate themselves from the former house sound.

Poor creatures, they are not ready for Harman target...🙈😁

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #4,742 of 6,787
Like I've said several times before, lots of owners who love their LCD-4/zs want the upgraded Audeze and still want that house sound, but get blind sided by a headphone with actual mid presence. That or they are moving on to the Susvara / 1266.

Not that you've got the Sus back in the house, how's the bass between the two?

Mar 25, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #4,743 of 6,787
Mar 25, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #4,744 of 6,787
Hi everyone, I am thinking of upgrading to the LCD-5 from LCD-3. How different is it sonically between 3 and 5? My Amp is a Chord TT2 and also read somewhere that there is ground loop noise when using LCD-5 with TT2. Is this a known issue?

Mar 25, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #4,745 of 6,787
Not that you've got the Sus back in the house, how's the bass between the two?
The sub bass between the two are similar, but the Susvara sub bass is more "omnipresent", if that makes sense. Coming out of the OOR, the susvara has a very spacious sound stage compared to the LCD-5.

When it comes to bass kicks and percussion, the LCD-5 is still superior. Percussion sounds great on the susvara, don't get me wrong, but it sounds real on the LCD-5.

I'm still only at the beginning of my dive-in comparison between the two, so my thoughts have not been made up one way or the other. Can't rush these things!

Mar 25, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #4,746 of 6,787
The 3 and 5 are polar opposite. 3 is warm with prominent bass. 5 is very neutral with significantly less bass. All this is assuming no EQ.

Mar 25, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #4,747 of 6,787
Hi everyone, I am thinking of upgrading to the LCD-5 from LCD-3. How different is it sonically between 3 and 5? My Amp is a Chord TT2 and also read somewhere that there is ground loop noise when using LCD-5 with TT2. Is this a known issue?
Do you really like the tonality of the 3? Do you use tone control/ EQ, or are willing to try?

You should always try before you buy, but the LCD-5 will sound cleaner, crisper, and tighter than the LCD-3. Because of the elevation in the mids, the relative volume of the lower mids and bass will be sightly limited on the 5 compared to the 3, making it sound like it has less bass. So that's where EQ comes in, if you need it.

Mar 25, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #4,748 of 6,787
They are completely different. I'd recommend waiting a month until Audeze releases their EQ presets for the LCD-5, then the 5 can be compared at its personal best vs the 3. Resolve's EQ is also great and what I and many people use, search the thread and you'll find it. Without EQ, you'll think the 5's bass is lacking, but with EQ, you might find the 5's bass is actually quite superior.

Or not. :)

I had the hum/grounding issue but I don't know if it was due to the TT2 or my Mac mini source. Adding an iFi Defender+ to the Mac mini USB out solved the issue.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #4,749 of 6,787
They are completely different. I'd recommend waiting a month until Audeze releases their EQ presets for the LCD-5, then the 5 can be compared at its personal best vs the 3. Resolve's EQ is also great and what I and many people use, search the thread and you'll find it. Without EQ, you'll think the 5's bass is lacking, but with EQ, you might find the 5's bass is actually quite superior.

Or not. :)

I had the hum/grounding issue but I don't know if it was due to the TT2 or my Mac mini source. Adding an iFi Defender+ to the Mac mini USB out solved the issue.
Btw, I noticed the grounding issue happened on my zen stack also. It has to be the lcd-5 itself causing it.

Mar 26, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #4,751 of 6,787
Mar 26, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #4,754 of 6,787
I like the warm aspect of 3 but would like more precision, imaging and soundstage. Would the LCD-5 be the logical upgrade for LCD-3 owners or should I look else?
The soundstage will be similar, but the imaging and precision will be much better on the LCD-5. If you want all three, maybe try out the 1266 TC, or the susvara if you are OK with a slightly softer sound.

Mar 26, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #4,755 of 6,787
If you like the tuning of the 3 but want more details and speed the 4 would be my recommendation. The 5 is a very different tuning compared to the rest of the LCD lineup. More mids focused and neutral. I am a big fan of Audeze house sound. I demoed the 5 for a week, and while I was impressed with its technical ability, the tuning wasn’t for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back