Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Mar 26, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #4,771 of 6,820
I wish I had been patient and bought used but i'm one to buy new especially if I can get it first even at regular cost.
Lots of lucky buyers out there getting used ones at amazing price. I have no intention of selling mine. I have found my one and only endgame. I wanted one totl all rounder that could be eq'd with amazing bass and detail and these fill that completely. I am still on my chain journey, but have no desire of rolling/juggling headphones for different genres or sounds when this does it all amazingly.

Mar 26, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #4,772 of 6,820
I dunno, prior to the Audio Technica adx5000 and the lcd5 I never used eq. With the pictured eq the lcd5 is sublime. I'm no expert in applying eq and I'm quite sure audeze's upcoming roon eq file will be better. If that's the case I'm shocked by the sales bump.

Attachments

• B5306B18-5219-4948-80F9-A4CA58C81849.jpeg
    B5306B18-5219-4948-80F9-A4CA58C81849.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #4,773 of 6,820
Hi everyone, I am thinking of upgrading to the LCD-5 from LCD-3. How different is it sonically between 3 and 5? My Amp is a Chord TT2 and also read somewhere that there is ground loop noise when using LCD-5 with TT2. Is this a known issue?
Get the LCD4. It’s a better LCD3. I have the Abyss, but I kept my LCD4. Wonderful headphones. I’m trying the LCD5 later this year.

Mar 27, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #4,774 of 6,820
for my education how electronically would the LCD 5 cause the grounding issue.
If your AUDEZE LCD headphones deliver a residual hum noise that goes away once you touch the metal case of your amp:
This not a ground loop issue, but a lack of grounding.

If in a mains powered audio system no connection to ground exists anywhere, the always existing stray current from the main power supplies causes a floating Voltage with mains AC frequency, 50 or 60 Hz, on the whole system, including your ‘phones internals.

Now, different Voltage potentials attract each other.
The alternating Voltage on AUDEZE LCD‘s diaphragm is attracted by the skin of the listeners body, that has a different or no Voltage potential, this is causing the diaphragm to vibrate.

The remedy is to ground any one device in an audio system.
Use a cable like this one, (only the ground is connected, the pins are isolating plastic):
https://www.conrad.de/de/p/wolfgang...-erdungsbox-2-00-m-ringoese-4-mm-1337382.html

DO NOT USE ANY DIY SOLUTION, YOU MIGHT KILL YOURSELF!

33263EC9-8CB8-4C4D-AB71-16885ECFCDF2.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #4,775 of 6,820
Hi everyone, I am thinking of upgrading to the LCD-5 from LCD-3. How different is it sonically between 3 and 5? My Amp is a Chord TT2 and also read somewhere that there is ground loop noise when using LCD-5 with TT2. Is this a known issue?
I am using TT2 with LCD-5 with Optical output from a 5-year-old Auralic Aries with $8 optical cable from Amazon (my old cable can only goes to 96KHz). It can stream PCM 192KHz and DSD 64. The sound is stunning. This combination is really sublime and affordable, no issue at all.

Mar 27, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #4,776 of 6,820

Not sure what do you mean with ground loop noise here.

I run LCD-5 through TT2 without any problem at all. Not even a slightest noise can be heard.

Mar 27, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #4,777 of 6,820

I run LCD-5 through TT2 without any problem at all. Not even a slightest noise can be heard.

There were a couple that had experienced some earlier.

I get a hum when I touch my Surface Pro X charger in different parts of the cord and on the Surface itself while connected. It's on a separate extension cord connected to a different wall outlet from my music gear.

Mar 27, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #4,778 of 6,820
I took the fun to superimpose the frequency responses of the LCD-5 and LCD-4.
Red is LCD-5, blue is LCD-4.

LCD-45.jpg

Using these graphs,
i was then able to create a profile for the LCD-5, to match the LCD-4's frequency response.

Screenshot_20220406-194527_Neutron Player.jpg

Band#1 - low shell

Maybe it will help someone who wants an upgrade from the LCD-4 to the LCD-5,
but doesn't want to do without its totality.

PS. The fine tuning you have to take over yourself :)

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #4,779 of 6,820

Same here with LCD-5 and TT2. No issues at all.

Mar 27, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #4,780 of 6,820
I took the fun to superimpose the frequency responses of the LCD-5
i was then able to create a profile for the LCD-5, to match the LCD-4's frequency response.

Maybe it will help someone who wants an upgrade from the LCD-4 to the LCD-5,
but doesn't want to do without its totality.
Wow, I was thinking of trying to do the same thing using the AutoEQ measurements. I'm going to give it a whirl. :)

@BowWazoo
What is the first 30 Hz? Low shelf? Ich spreche keine deutsch :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #4,781 of 6,820
for my education how electronically would the LCD 5 cause the grounding issue.
I have no clue, both the zen stack and the tt2 made the lcd-5 hum from every outlet. The hum stops when I touch the unit.
When I applied IFi’s groundhog, the hum goes away.

I don’t have the time to research why it happens, I just know it happens.

Does everyone use a 2 prong or a 3 prong plug? Both my amps use a 2.

Mar 28, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #4,783 of 6,820
All of these listings are tempting for me and I'm loving this. Getting the chance to grab one of these for a discount? O.O, I'd love to give one of these a spin on my system.

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #4,784 of 6,820
Praise the lord

Screenshot_20220328-182357_WhatsApp.jpg

Mar 28, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #4,785 of 6,820
Audeze mentioned they'd worked closely with professional sound engineers on the tuning of the LCD-5.

Do engineers use monitors that are generally high forward in the mids to help with mastering, and then EQ their monitors during the final playback of their work to verify how it'll sound on consumer gear?

... I'm surprised that most engineers aren't already adopting that particular curve (and transitively, the LCD-5 then being tuned in such a way). Or, maybe most sound engineers have a set of EQ that they apply themselves and instead prefer a headphone that is the most responsive to EQ.

From what I’ve read, most engineers are not audiophiles. They don’t care as much about that stuff, for whatever reason. Some people have even said that the micro-dynamics many TOTL headphones and gear bring about, weren’t even known by the engineers and were not intended to be heard at all.
What we do is way beyond an audiophile approach.

Great recordings aren‘t created by just picking certain equipment, that’s part, but the smallest part of the story.
When producing music we have access to a multitude of parameters that the average listener not even has an idea exist.

We work with the artist to maximize his/her performance, that alone makes a night and day difference.
Out of a number of takes the best one or ones are picked and edited for the final result you get.

During recording we take care for every aspect, like microphones selection, placements and setups, room accoustics, optimized gain structure and signal path in the recording equipment,...
Artistical decisions are made about the composition and interpretation, ... the list is endless.

What you call micro- and macro-dynamics is a result of intentionally controlled parts of a mix and/or edit.
If you hear the artist breathe, it’s because we want you to hear it - wittingly or unwittingly, but we know it’s there because we decided it should.

To do all this we listen in acoustically controlled environments, through studio monitors that are built and setup to represent the recording as neutral and natural as possible.
Headphones are part of this, but the minor.
There are workdays where the first time I wear headphones are for privat use at home.
Other mixes I did where intentionally done almost completely on headphones, only later evaluated on speakers - if you choose the right headphones it can work.

Recording is art+craftsmanship, and the goal is to produce something you enjoy.
Enjoy!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back