Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Mar 17, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #4,712 of 6,785
While we have consulted Bob Katz and Gary Cole for feedback before, this is the first time they are involved in creating the presets.
Fantastic!

I never thought the LCD-4/i4 needed EQ, but discovering the presets was a revelation as to how something you think is already amazing can still be improved. I'm sure the new presets will be worth the wait.

Thank you!

Mar 17, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #4,713 of 6,785
Are you asking for LCD-5 preset specifically? we have always had the linear presets in Roon. We just released the presets for CRBN and Euclid and waiting for Roon to release it. We are currently testing LCD-5 preset and hope to release that in a month or so.

Both CRBN and LCD-5 presets were created in collaboration with Bob Katz and Gary Cole. This way, our hope is to close the 'circle of confusion' when it comes to EQ. When you have mastering engineers put their stamp of approval on how their tracks translate with the EQ, then we remove some of the subjective aspects of creating the EQ. But this does not mean everyone would prefer such EQ, it just means that is how the creator intended a track to sound.
Will the lcd-5 preset be available on the Reveal plugin?

Mar 17, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #4,715 of 6,785
the-simpsons-mr-burns.gif

Mar 17, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #4,716 of 6,785
Bob Katz and Gary Cole hard at work creating EQ profiles for CRBN and LCD-5 referencing Bob Katz Dynaudio monitors and Gary Cole cross references it with his Barefoot monitors. Bob Katz and Gary Cole would post a detailed writeup on how they arrived at these profiles, but the EQ profiles involve gentle changes only to get them to match their reference.

Holy Molly! I wonder whatever made me imagine that creating a pre set would be a walk in the park for those who know what they are doing? These guys almost look like they're piloting a space station... And did you say it is still going to take them another month to complete the project?

Respect. Respect. Mucho Respecto! :):):)

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #4,717 of 6,785
Holy Molly! I wonder whatever made me imagine that creating a pre set would be a walk in the park for those who know what they are doing? These guys almost look like they're piloting a space station... And did you say it is still going to take them another month to complete the project?

Respect. Respect. Mucho Respecto! :):):)
Yes, there is some serious science and listening involved. In my exchanges, I have seen them obsess over a change of 1/10th dB to get things exactly right, they are very passionate and also perfectionists! A disclaimer, neither of them are getting paid to do this, they offered to get involved because they liked the headphones so much and want to use them for mixing, mastering and composing. We are humbled and honored to see them get involved the way they did.

Edit: Did I mention both of them get their ear cleaned and visit the audiologist every month!!!

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #4,718 of 6,785
Yes, there is some serious science and listening involved. In my exchanges, I have seen them obsess over a change of 1/10th dB to get things exactly right, they are very passionate and also perfectionists! A disclaimer, neither of them are getting paid to do this, they offered to get involved because they liked the headphones so much and want to use them for mixing, mastering and composing. We are humbled and honored to see them get involved the way they did.

Edit: Did I mention both of them get their ear cleaned and visit the audiologist every month!!!

I don't expect it to happen since you made so few, but it would be amazing if they did the LCD-R next.

Mar 18, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #4,719 of 6,785

Could you share what type of EQ profile they are targeting? Will they add bass, pull back the mids, etc.

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #4,720 of 6,785
I cannot believe I am saying this, but I have received the newer headband and have been using it for one month now. I noticed the vocal tend to tilt right instead of the center recently. since my DAC comes with mono function, it is easy for me to narrow down the problem to my LCD-5. So I've tested a lot of things and almost about to write an email to my dealer request for repair. My last attempt was to swap back to the old headband because I feel the old one is actually more comfortable than the newer one because I feel it sits on my head more tightly. Immediately noticed that the vocal is at the center when I put the old one on ... what the hell?

Mar 21, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #4,721 of 6,785
Does anyone have the Lcd-5 as well as the Elite at home,
and can compare the two, after using Oratory's harman settings?

Mar 21, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #4,722 of 6,785
I cannot believe I am saying this, but I have received the newer headband and have been using it for one month now. I noticed the vocal tend to tilt right instead of the center recently. since my DAC comes with mono function, it is easy for me to narrow down the problem to my LCD-5. So I've tested a lot of things and almost about to write an email to my dealer request for repair. My last attempt was to swap back to the old headband because I feel the old one is actually more comfortable than the newer one because I feel it sits on my head more tightly. Immediately noticed that the vocal is at the center when I put the old one on ... what the hell?
Send it back to Audeze! Honestly there is a good chance it could be placement or even the pads, but they will throw it on the measurement rig and test it out!
Anyway whatever it is, hope it gets resolved, for me personally the last few months placement has been my A1 game first and foremost, I realized a lot of the issues I had with it were solved by that, not saying that is your problem, it could also be a driver imbalance! If it's there then there would be a bump on one sides midrange vs the other channe;!

Mar 22, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #4,723 of 6,785
Are you asking for LCD-5 preset specifically? we have always had the linear presets in Roon. We just released the presets for CRBN and Euclid and waiting for Roon to release it. We are currently testing LCD-5 preset and hope to release that in a month or so.

Both CRBN and LCD-5 presets were created in collaboration with Bob Katz and Gary Cole. This way, our hope is to close the 'circle of confusion' when it comes to EQ. When you have mastering engineers put their stamp of approval on how their tracks translate with the EQ, then we remove some of the subjective aspects of creating the EQ. But this does not mean everyone would prefer such EQ, it just means that is how the creator intended a track to sound.
totally excited for the Roon LCD 5 plug in EQ and curious to see how far off my personal EQ plot is

Mar 23, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #4,724 of 6,785
Here is a very interesting video about headphones, measurements, and Harman target.

Particularly interesting for Audeze owners. Dan Clark apparently found that people using headphones with very low THD in the bass, even when adjusted according to Hamann, find them to be missing bass.
Apparently, distortions in the bass range ensure that we perceive it accordingly.

That's also the reason why they gave the Stealth around 120 Hertz a few dB in.
Dan Clark Stealth Frequency Response Measurements.png

I assume that the Lcd-5 also has an extremely low THD value around the entire frequency spectrum.
So it will probably be highly recommended for some headphones to try a extra boost at 100-150hz out.

Screenshot_20220323-150717_YouTube.jpg

descriptors2kl-1.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #4,725 of 6,785
Here is a very interesting video about headphones, measurements, and Harman target.

Particularly interesting for Audeze owners. Dan Clark apparently found that people using headphones with very low THD in the bass, even when adjusted according to Hamann, find them to be missing bass.
Apparently, distortions in the bass range ensure that we perceive it accordingly.

That's also the reason why they gave the Stealth around 120 Hertz a few dB in.
Dan Clark Stealth Frequency Response Measurements.png

I assume that the Lcd-5 also has an extremely low THD value around the entire frequency spectrum.
So it will probably be highly recommended for some headphones to try a extra boost at 100-150hz out.

Screenshot_20220323-150717_YouTube.jpg

descriptors2kl-1.jpg

What's the number to be considered as low THD in bass?

Meze Elite produce THD 0,03% or below for bass section (and entire spectrum actually), and I think most people don't categorise them as lack in bass quantity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back