Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Sep 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #1,337 of 6,385
  Not sad, but true. 
smile.gif

Indeed it is true, although the PS1000 looks better and should behave like a $1.4-7k Grado, it sadly get's outshone by a PS500 (and the RS1).

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #1,338 of 6,385
i preferred the RS1i (hell even the 325is which where similarly bright and forward, but seemed more natural and balanced), the PS1000 is basically a 325is with a more U shaped response, so its brighter, recessed mids, and boomier with the bass, and with salad bowl pads.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #1,340 of 6,385
the big ps1000/gs1000 pads which are bigger than the regular grados.

Sep 5, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #1,342 of 6,385
Apologies if I'm going to sound like a cliched noob but I don't post often and I just bought  the LCD3 (serial 2615XXX's) and they are worth every cent.

I've had the LCD2 R1's for a couple of years now, they are late revision 1's just before the R2's came out, so I thought I had a reasonable pair as the treble was steadily improved upon over time.

Initially when A/B'ing I didn't immediately hear major differences, its the Ortho sound sure, just like the Abyss, but what did I just pay over 2k for? As I continued  I realised what the '3' designation really means.  I noticed how the LCD2 r1's bass was clearly darker, less articulate, and not as refined, and the mids, especially vocals were quite recessed in comparison to the LCD3, the super highs were not as detailed, and almost smeared.

It's amazing as I think the LCD2 r1 has a fantastic mid range but the LCD3 really lifts any vocal and plonks it right there in the mix where it should be. The mids are even more delicious and detailed. The bass is just completely on another level to the LCD2 r1 in pure quality. It's more present mostly because you notice the quality has taken a step up or two. It's smoother, goes deeper but the whole thing is very sublime and controlled in a way that results in an almost a profound presentation. I really do marvel at it.

There's this other thing about the LCD2 r1 presentation that seems to sound like some of the rear channels are creeping into the mix, almost like a cheap reverb of frequencies going on. I'm sure this is akin to the waterfall plot differences you see between the cans is what I'm hearing but who knows?? The LCD3 never lets me hear this phenomenon because it's not there and the sheer yumminess being thrown at you wouldn't give you time to think about it anyway.

LCD3 beats you with its happy stick over and over again, and no you can't get enough. I think they can still improve on articulating the highs, they are almost there, the Abyss I thought beat the LCD3's, the highs on the Abyss are palpable in their detail.

I'm still keeping my LCD2's r1 because they are like an old school piece of kit that you go back to for nostalgia and have grown so accustomed to, like a Holga camera maybe! A classic.

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #1,345 of 6,385
I am looking to make the next upgrade in my audio setup with a new headphone purchase. I am currently using the trusty setup of O2/ODAC > HD600s. While it's been great reading all the information in these threads, I think I ultimately have to try the headphones myself to make the right decision. I was wondering what the best course of action was to take as far as auditioning headphones. I'd like to be able to try HD800s, LCD-2 + 3, and possibly the HE-6. If I somehow got all these to listen to, would my amp/dac (see above) at least be temporarily sufficient to discern the differences and tonal qualities of each headphone? I plan to pair my eventual purpose with the appropriate hardware, but I'd like to settle on a pair of headphones before I do that. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #1,346 of 6,385
I am looking to make the next upgrade in my audio setup with a new headphone purchase. I am currently using the trusty setup of O2/ODAC > HD600s. While it's been great reading all the information in these threads, I think I ultimately have to try the headphones myself to make the right decision. I was wondering what the best course of action was to take as far as auditioning headphones. I'd like to be able to try HD800s, LCD-2 + 3, and possibly the HE-6. If I somehow got all these to listen to, would my amp/dac (see above) at least be temporarily sufficient to discern the differences and tonal qualities of each headphone? I plan to pair my eventual purpose with the appropriate hardware, but I'd like to settle on a pair of headphones before I do that. 

O2/odac would be ok for lcd-2, not amazing but not bad. Not recommended for lcd-3 or hd 800 though and definitely not for he-6. You would have an idea of their general sound signature, but its still way off of what they can sound like. You will have no idea how good each one can sound and what their strengths and weaknesses are

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #1,347 of 6,385
Sep 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #1,348 of 6,385
I understand there have been some revisions to the newer units such as thinner padding and or backing making the
LCD-3 less veiled......those of you who received your LCD-3s recently, what are your serial numbers? Just want to
Check how recent ours were built.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back