Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #1,351 of 6,388
I understand there have been some revisions to the newer units such as thinner padding and or backing making the
LCD-3 less veiled......those of you who received your LCD-3s recently, what are your serial numbers? Just want to
Check how recent ours were built.....

The serial numbers, except the 23 or 26 prefix, are randomly generated. To know how new or old they are, you would need to refer to the date on the FR chart they supplied.

I have had used one from Mar2012 starting with 23, Dec2012 starting with 26, and the one I have now from Jul2013 also starting with 26 but is a smaller number than the Dec12 one.

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #1,352 of 6,388
  has anyone ever noticed on their pair a slight pull to the right channel? if you think of the soundfield as an inverted U, to me it sometimes leans to the right. for instance in a lot of songs, the bass line or the vocals will be ever so slighly shifted to the right. i rarely ever feel as though i'm getting a dead center image. i'm not sure if this is a channel imbalance because it doesnt seem to have anything to do with volume, it has to with the sound placement. if i put my lcd-3 on backwards i get a similar effect but to the left. i just started noticing this about a month or two ago. its very subtle but i think about it a lot as i'm listening and is annoying me. i was just wondering if any of you had comments about this. thanks

I just got my lcd3s yesterday and was reading through to see any info on burn-in when I saw your post. I first connected them using the xlr cables and noticed exactly what you describe - in my case the vocal was slightly to the left. I had been listening to my T1s previously so this was instantly noticeable. I thought it might be the xlr input section on my amp (Stratus DNA) so I switched to the cable with 1/4 jack and 1/4 input and the problem disappeared. I have not switched back yet to the xlr cable and assumed it was a problem in the amp. But maybe not. Which cables are you using when you experience this problem?

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #1,354 of 6,388
Solude, can you post the starting digits of your SN (not the entire one - I imagine you not being confortable with that)?

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #1,357 of 6,388
2615 something if memory serves. My graph is in this thread or the other with the sn.

I heard a rumor from a guy on a local forum that there was a new revision starting with 27 for headphones being manufactured after March 2013. Guess it was just a rumor.

Thanks for the reply :)

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #1,358 of 6,388
  Both. But to run the amp fully balanced and use it's complete circuitry, you're going to need balanced outputs and inputs.

do you use balanced for hd800/lcd3 with he gsx?

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #1,363 of 6,388

I just got my lcd3s yesterday and was reading through to see any info on burn-in when I saw your post. I first connected them using the xlr cables and noticed exactly what you describe - in my case the vocal was slightly to the left. I had been listening to my T1s previously so this was instantly noticeable. I thought it might be the xlr input section on my amp (Stratus DNA) so I switched to the cable with 1/4 jack and 1/4 input and the problem disappeared. I have not switched back yet to the xlr cable and assumed it was a problem in the amp. But maybe not. Which cables are you using when you experience this problem?

I use them fully balanced. I will try them SE on the lyr tonight but I don't think it will make a difference. I forget who it was, but someone with 1000s of posts on here said earlier this spring that he only uses an hd800 now because the center imaging was so troubling to him. its funny because when i first got them, i didnt notice anything of the sort. I'm also a little worried that it has something to do with my left ear (maybe some pushed in wax) so i need to see an ear doctor to ease my mind. Or, I may just send them to audeze for a check-up.

Im actually so annoyed by the whole situation that I'm thinking of moving on to a nice 2-channel speaker setup and never looking back. Im sitting there trying to enjoy an album, but every 30 seconds Im thinking "the right channel sounds louder....no wait its fine....wait idk...wait did that bass drop sound more prominant from the right?.....yes it did....oh heres a good riff out the left channel we're good now...ah i cant be sure this f'n sucks". Then I take em off and cry myself to sleep.

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #1,364 of 6,388
I had a chance to try same balanced input cable with the XLR again but THIS time I noticed there is a switch on my amp for balanced mode at -6db. When I flicked the switch everything straightened out the gain dropped more in line with the SE mode and the vocal moved right back to center. So, in my case it was operator error. And, unlike you, what I was hearing was clearly not in the center. But maybe your amp has a switch like mine to be used for the balanced setting. 

The phones only have a few hours on them and I am hoping they will open up after some burn-in. Compared to my T1s they sound congested and not just full but sort of thick, if that makes any sense. Maybe that is the signature sound of Audeze with tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back