Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Sep 4, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #1,307 of 6,388
The 4W sounds better and handles hard to drive headphones better

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #1,309 of 6,388
4W standard version also has the "benefit" of the stepped attenuator as well. I put that in quotations as some people, such as myself, actually find that to be a disadvantage due to the nature of stepped attenuators making a popping sound whenever you change volume, which I found extremely annoying. I'm a shuffle play listener most of the time and thus am forced to change my volume quite often as tracks are mastered at different volume levels.  Stepped attenuators on paper do have superior channel matching though and supposedly sounds better, so I suppose it depends on what you value more.. but I find the Alps pot to be fine on most amps.

Not a Conductor nor am I an owner of a LCD-3 but I feel that my Soloist SL (same amp as those Conductor SL's) drives my LCD-2's very well FWIW. Find it to be more than good enough.

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #1,310 of 6,388
I have soloist with step attenuator and alps pot. I can change between both quite easily. Imo, alps pot offer slightly agressive sound with a slight bump which make vocal slightly forward. Bass is a bit loose on alps pot. So I guess it depend on system synergy and personal preference. To reach my listening level, the pot on step attenuator need to be higher than alps pot. Lets say 9 o'clock on alps pot seem similar with 11-12 o'clock. So it's not that hard to find a desired volume with stepped, particularly when low gain was used.

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #1,311 of 6,388
The difference in volume can also be due to gains being set differently on the two models

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #1,313 of 6,388
How do the LCD-3s compare to the stax 007s'? Is there a big difference?

I prefer the 007s (MKIs). With the SR007s it's in particular the transparency, clarity and overall resolution (details and micro details) that do it for me. I am finding these attributes trump anything else in importance as they create the emotional connection with the music. The soundstaging is also better with the 007s (not a particular Audeze strength area). And I am finding the 007s great with all genres, including classical. The LCD-3s have even stronger bass, are even more forgiving and have a very appealing presentation and all that said the LCD-3s are my favourite dynamic headphones.

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #1,314 of 6,388

I guess it depends what you have upstream and what you're after. With the current crop of Stax amps, I'd go with the LCD-3/GS-X MKII combo. But with say a KGSSHV and SR-007MKI, the differences are more personal preferences.

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #1,315 of 6,388

All I can add is that I sold my Stax 007 mk1/HeadAmp KGSS rig for an Audeze LCD-2 Rev1/AMB B22 rig so after having both in house for a few months so... ya.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #1,316 of 6,388
i made up my mind! 

i'm putting my deposit for the GS-X mk2 tomorrow!

and returning PS1000's, i don't like them.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #1,318 of 6,388
  i made up my mind! 

i'm putting my deposit for the GS-X mk2 tomorrow!

and returning PS1000's, i don't like them.

beerchug.gif

Totally made the right choice. As "flagships" go, I found the PS1000s among the weakest...heck, they weren't even my favourite current production Grados. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #1,320 of 6,388
  Wow. Solid State. Never thought it would happen.

Ed: It can happen...as an long time tube-guy, for the past year I've been tube-free for the first time in about 20 years. And I've enjoying the easy life. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back