Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #1,291 of 6,388
You guys are missing the point.  Let me try again.  When using the DAC's USB input jitter is dependent on the module.  When using the DAC's SPDIF input jitter is dependent on the transport.  Good transports have good jitter numbers.  Pro tip... most transports are terrible compared to stock USB modules.  A good CD transport is generally $1500+.  Quite a few stand alone usb>spdif converter are however quite good and much less.  Metrum, Audio-GD, W4S and PS all have great stock USB modules.

Quite right. I re-read your post and realised that I had missed your point entirely.

A lot of the older transports probably are pointless with the newer USB modules. The speed at which DACs seem to be progressing will probably render all the current transports useless within a couple of years.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #1,292 of 6,388
Quote:

You guys are missing the point.  Let me try again.  When using the DAC's USB input jitter is dependent on the module.  When using the DAC's SPDIF input jitter is dependent on the transport.  Good transports have good jitter numbers.  Pro tip... most transports are terrible compared to stock USB modules.  A good CD transport is generally $1500+.  Quite a few stand alone usb>spdif converter are however quite good and much less.  Metrum, Audio-GD, W4S and PS all have great stock USB modules.

You are right, SPDIF is dependent on the transport and USB is not. Never contradicted you on this :)

Don't know what to say about "Metrum, Audio-GD, W4S and PS all have great stock USB modules." From what I know PS sounds better with AP2. negura can confirm if I'm right.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #1,293 of 6,388
Quote:

Maybe except for PS. It's ok, but that's pretty much it. I wasn't too impressed with the USB. The PUC2 and AP2 both wipe the floor with it. Both will greatly benefit a linear regulated power supply and the AP2 a good quality SPDIF cable.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #1,294 of 6,388
"It" being Tenor?  The Tenor biggest fail is a using the processor clock for everything.  No 44 or 48 independent clocks... which damn near everyone else does use.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #1,295 of 6,388
double

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #1,296 of 6,388
Quote:
"It" being Tenor?  The Tenor biggest fail is a using the processor clock for everything.  No 44 or 48 independent clocks... which damn near everyone else does use.

PWD2. It's a while since I have concluded to discontinue the use of the Tenor in favor of other USB interfaces. Since I had a bunch of interface gadgetry around, I also found it's a significant improvement on the PWD2. I am awaiting for a proper cable for the PUC2 before posting final impressions, but so far so good. Let's just say I do not see any reasons to hear the PWD2's USB ever again.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #1,297 of 6,388
Quote:
From what I know PS sounds better with AP2. negura can confirm if I'm right.

This comes down to the person listening.  I sold the AP2 I was using with the Metrum after comparing the PWD2 with and without it.  I prefer NativeX enabled USB to AP2 fed Native.  Splitting hairs but given I'd rather have $500 in hand than an AP2 that doesn't really help I sold it.  I did not try the PP option though.  Honestly the best digital upgrade I've bought recently is an ebtech humx for my PC.  Ground loops are gone, noise floor bottomed out and the results over speakers and headphones is incredible given the $60 investment.  Laptop in the theatre got the same treatment and though it's not a serious rig, it's a lot cleaner too.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #1,298 of 6,388
Quote:

This comes down to the person listening.  I sold the AP2 I was using with the Metrum after comparing the PWD2 with and without it.  I prefer NativeX enabled USB to AP2 fed Native.  Splitting hairs but given I'd rather have $500 in hand than an AP2 that doesn't really help I sold it.  I did not try the PP option though.  Honestly the best digital upgrade I've bought recently is an ebtech humx for my PC.  Ground loops are gone, noise floor bottomed out and the results over speakers and headphones is incredible given the $60 investment.  Laptop in the theatre got the same treatment and though it's not a serious rig, it's a lot cleaner too.

Why Native? I always use NativeX with everything.

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #1,299 of 6,388
The whole point of using another spdif converter is to improve on the digital lens.  With NativeX enabled it literally doesn't matter if you feed it 5ps jitter or 5ns jitter.  Jitter with NativeX is completely dependent on the buffers clock.  Because in the end that is all the digital lens is, a FIFO memory buffer.

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #1,300 of 6,388
Quote:
The whole point of using another spdif converter is to improve on the digital lens.  With NativeX enabled it literally doesn't matter if you feed it 5ps jitter or 5ns jitter.  Jitter with NativeX is completely dependent on the buffers clock.  Because in the end that is all the digital lens is, a FIFO memory buffer.

Native still sounds like Native (=Meh) with either the AP2 and PUC2 and NativeX next level. Business as usual. :)
The interfaces and NativeX are a stacking benefit. That's how I hear it.

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #1,301 of 6,388
i think we're getting off topic. 
confused_face.gif

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #1,302 of 6,388
  i think we're getting off topic. 
confused_face.gif

OK.  Anything new or exciting you've been listening to on your LCD-3's?

Bjork - Hunter is fun.  I listened to that this weekend for the first time in a really, really long time. Also, I've been addicted to Sibelius 2 lately.

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #1,303 of 6,388

I like the Soloist better than both the balanced and single ended B22.  The Soloist is a lot like a better GS-1.  It's also one of only three amps I like with the HD800.  Other two being the Peak and GS-X mk2.  But if the WA22 sound is what you seek, B22.  Essentially the same but better stage placement and speed.  Both however are out of focus and compressed compared to the Soloist.

hmmm, i am interested in the soloist, it seems like a nice amp. i already know how great it sounds with LCD-2

the soloist is fantastic with the LCD-3s and also quite wonderful with the HD800. i feel fortunate that a solution this great is available at the used price point. this amp rocks! (it also classicals! and jazzes!!)

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #1,304 of 6,388
When you all referring to the soloist are you referring to the 4 watt version or the newer 2w sl version with the built in DAC? Is the smart play to get the stand alone amp soloist or the one with the built in DAC? I'm guessing you can bypass the internal DAC if you wanted to use a stand alone DAC in the future. Want to pair this with the LCD-3s

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #1,305 of 6,388
Soloist has two versions (normal - 4W and SL - 2W), neither with a build in DAC.

The ones with the built in DAC are named as following:
- Conductor (Soloist - 4W + 9018 DAC)
- Conductor SL 9018 (Soloist SL - 2W + 9018 DAC)
- Conductor SL 1793 (Soloist SL - 2W + 1793 DAC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back