Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #1,171 of 6,385
Quote:
After listening to my LCD-3s powered by Schitt Bifrost Uber/Lyr combo I am still very pleased, but I still yearn to hear what the solid state and balanced output of the Gungnir/Mjolnir combo can add to the experience.  In the under $2K price range can anyone recommend a better option for driving the LCD-3s?  The general opinion seems to be that the Burson Conductor would be a great worthy alternative, but since I am generally pleased with the Schitt "sound" I am concerned that the Burson's more "laid back" sound may not be to my liking?

Thanks again for any and all input. 

It really depends on the sound you're looking for. I've had everything schiit for quite a while so I'm pretty well versed in what they can offer for my lcd-3s. First off, be careful with the gungnir/mjolnir combo if you have any sensitivity to high frequencies. Its a very aggressive sounding amp that can sound unbelievably good at times or very overbearing at others depending on what you're throwing at it. What I've concluded is that the gungnir is a major upgrade over the regular bifrost (i have not heard uber). For me the sound of the gungnir > lyr with high quailty tubes > upgraded cables (power and headphone) > lcd-3 is the better combo to my ears than the balanced stack. You could always try the mjolnir and return if you don't like it. Gungnir is definitely a keeper in that price range and a serious upgrade over the entry level stuff.

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #1,174 of 6,385
Quote:
Soloist is laid back compared to the Mjolnir and about the same as the B22.

Still you can't call it laid back, just because there are more aggresive amps. I would call it less aggresive, cause that's closer to the truth. V200 is laid back for example.

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #1,175 of 6,385
Quote:
It really depends on the sound you're looking for. I've had everything schiit for quite a while so I'm pretty well versed in what they can offer for my lcd-3s. First off, be careful with the gungnir/mjolnir combo if you have any sensitivity to high frequencies. Its a very aggressive sounding amp that can sound unbelievably good at times or very overbearing at others depending on what you're throwing at it. What I've concluded is that the gungnir is a major upgrade over the regular bifrost (i have not heard uber). For me the sound of the gungnir > lyr with high quailty tubes > upgraded cables (power and headphone) > lcd-3 is the better combo to my ears than the balanced stack. You could always try the mjolnir and return if you don't like it. Gungnir is definitely a keeper in that price range and a serious upgrade over the entry level stuff.

I think you have hit one of my sensitivities on the head! I do find "overbearing" an issue for me, one of the reasons I've avoided the Senn HD800 by reputation. I have heard that the "uber" version of the bifrost definitely sounds better than the "stock" version, but I'm assuming the Gungnir would still be a step up.  I have considering trying some "tube rolling" and have read through a good chunk of that extensive thread.  My only concern is that by the time I have invested heavily in tubes I could have likely purchased a Mjolnir.  However, have you found a specific tube that you recommend as an upgrade to the stock tubes, I'm game to try them.

Thanks again to all!

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #1,176 of 6,385
Absolutely.  It's slightly less dynamic than a GS-X mk2 but not too far off.  Definitely not laid back in a global sense.

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #1,178 of 6,385
Sup guys,
I just got an LCD 3. It sounds awesome, but has only one problem.

It hurts like hell on top of my head and around my ears after wearing for 30 minutes! (I wear glasses btw)
I want to enjoy this beast as long as I want, free from torture.
Guys, please give me some advice, thank you.

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #1,179 of 6,385
Quote:
Sup guys,

It hurts like hell on top of my head and around my ears after wearing for 30 minutes! (I wear glasses btw)
I want to enjoy this beast as long as I want.

Vegan pads and foam headband.

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #1,181 of 6,385
Sup guys,

I want to enjoy this beast as long as I want without having to worry about the pain.

Not implying your discomfort isn't legit, but I have found the LCD-3 to be incredibly comfortable. Especially comparing it against the LCD-2 and the Hifiman HE-500.

As suggested you might try the optional ear pad,but my understanding is that it is very similar to the leather in terms of softness.

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #1,183 of 6,385
Sup guys,

Give them some more headtime, maybe 50-60 hours. The headpad and earpads will compress and conform to your head with more time together. Or your head could be conforming to them. Either way, they get more and more comfortable to wear the more they are used.

Also, you might try bending the metal headband. But take it in small steps.

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #1,185 of 6,385
Quote:
Sup guys,

You gotta learn how to wear them so they don't hurt on the top of your head.  Just move the band back a few inches towards the back.  That did the trick for me.  As far as glasses go, I wear contacts or go blind since most of the time my eyes are closed anyway.  I don't think these work very well with glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back