Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #91 of 6,385
Just received my LCD-3 and must say it looks verry good,verry soft pads and headband in comparision to my LCD-2 Rev.2.
I will 'test drive' this puppy later with my Burson HA-160D in the meantime till i receive my Liquid Fire from MorbidToaster.
Here's the Frequency chart of the LCD-3:

Does the Frequency Chart look good??
The date of manufactering is the 2nd of juli 2012

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #92 of 6,385
Looking good!

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #93 of 6,385
Quote:
I will be getting my Audeze LCD-3 in a week or so,does anybody know the latest serial number??
I'm asking this because my dealer had a batch of LCD-3 close to the 'veiled' version of around Januari - Februari.
I wanted for him to send me a LCD-3 from a new batch so i will certainly not have the 'veiled' version,but to be sure i am getting a newer LCD-3 from a new batch and not a 'veiled' version (could be he switched without knowing he actually sends the a faulty one) i have to know the latest serial number so i actually getting what i'm paying the huge price for.
I would be glad if you  post the serial number (doesnt have to be full serial number) and the date when you purchased the LCD-3.

Mine LCD 3 Serien Nr is :L 261 ---- just arived on 25 of July 2012, until now work perfect

my friend got the same Serien Nr : 261 ---- , is going for repair the right driver was dead , that happened so suddenly . Now is going for RMA to Audeze USA

Anybody know why the driver from LCD 3 more sensitive comopare to LCD 2 ?

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #94 of 6,385
Quote:
Mine LCD 3 Serien Nr is :L 261 ---- just arived on 25 of July 2012, until now work perfect

my frienmd got the same Serien Nr : 261 ---- , is going for repair the right driver was dead , that happened so suddenly . Now is going for RMA to Audeze USA

Anybody know why the driver from LCD 3 more sensitive comopare to LCD 2 ?

It's not really. LCD-2 had its fair share of driver failures.

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #95 of 6,385
Hi,

I have a question for you LCD-3 users...

Can you describe how much more comfortable the wear/fit of these are vs. the LCD-2?

I liked them, but found very uncomfortable (pressure on the front edge of the ear pads on my temples and upper cheekbones by my eyes).  Did any off you find the same with the LCD-2s but not with the LCD-3s. I understand that they use a "memory" foam and a softer grade of lambskin.  I am considering auditioning them (loaners) like I did the LCD-2s. I don't expect them to be HD800 comfortable but if the softness in the pads reduces the clamping pressure they might be OK. 

Thanks,

Bob

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #96 of 6,385
Quote:
Hi,

I have a question for you LCD-3 users...

Can you describe how much more comfortable the wear/fit of these are vs. the LCD-2?

I liked them, but found very uncomfortable (pressure on the front edge of the ear pads on my temples and upper cheekbones by my eyes).  Did any off you find the same with the LCD-2s but not with the LCD-3s. I understand that they use a "memory" foam and a softer grade of lambskin.  I am considering auditioning them (loaners) like I did the LCD-2s. I don't expect them to be HD800 comfortable but if the softness in the pads reduces the clamping pressure they might be OK. 

Thanks,

Bob

Well yes the pads and headband are MUCH softer in comparision to the LCD-2 and yes i have the same problem with the LCD-2 when wearing them for like an hour my jawbone would hurt a bit.
I can't really say nothing yet about the LCD-3 but i briefly tried them on my head today and it's a whole other feeling,not that kind of big pressurey feeling like the LCD-2 but there's always going to be that little pressure as the headphones are weighing like 550 grams.
It's the planar magnetic technology with the big magnets that are adding to that big weight.

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #97 of 6,385
Well yes the pads and headband are MUCH softer in comparision to the LCD-2 and yes i have the same problem with the LCD-2 when wearing them for like an hour my jawbone would hurt a bit.
I can't really say nothing yet about the LCD-3 but i briefly tried them on my head today and it's a whole other feeling,not that kind of big pressurey feeling like the LCD-2 but there's always going to be that little pressure as the headphones are weighing like 550 grams.
It's the planar magnetic technology with the big magnets that are adding to that big weight.

Well then, it sounds like should audition them.

I liked many sonic aspects of the LCD-2s (bass, mids and instrument placement) but I did not like the physical experience of wearing them; particularly compared to the HD800s. Not only did I prefer the comfort of the HD800s; but I also preferred the level of detail which I felt was beyond the LCD-2 and of course the large airy soundstage. If the LCD-3s can improve upon the comfort so they are wearable, provide greater detail into the mix like the Sennheisers and have a somewhat larger soundstage while retaining the positives of the LCD-2s; they might be for me.

In terms of aftermarket cables for a single ended set up (Grace Design m903) with LCD-3s, what aftermarket cables do you recommend over the stock LCD-3 cables?

Thanks,

Bob

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #98 of 6,385
I figured i'd take some pics with my iPad from the LCD-3 and Moon-audio Silver Dragon 3,hope you'll like them :D

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #99 of 6,385
Quote:
Well then, it sounds like should audition them.
I liked many sonic aspects of the LCD-2s (bass, mids and instrument placement) but I did not like the physical experience of wearing them; particularly compared to the HD800s. Not only did I prefer the comfort of the HD800s; but I also preferred the level of detail which I felt was beyond the LCD-2 and of course the large airy soundstage. If the LCD-3s can improve upon the comfort so they are wearable, provide greater detail into the mix like the Sennheisers and have a somewhat larger soundstage while retaining the positives of the LCD-2s; they might be for me.
In terms of aftermarket cables for a single ended set up (Grace Design m903) with LCD-3s, what aftermarket cables do you recommend over the stock LCD-3 cables?
Thanks,
Bob

My favourite aftermarket cables for my LCD-3s are the QCables. I have 2 pair (one single-ended and one balanced). I've previously owned the Silver Dragon and ALO Chainmail cables FWIW.

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #102 of 6,385
Thanks for posting the link to the review...

One thing I found interesting and the other is a concern.

Interesting: they rated the LCD-2s an 8.5 for comfort and the LCD-3s a 9.0. This incremental difference seems appropriate given what I know about the differences between them. It is the absolute ratings that I find curious. Given the weight, clamping force, uneven pressure and hot wear temperature of the LCD-2s, I would rate them as a 5-6 for comfort (for example, I would rate my AKGs as 7 and HD800 as a 9-10 for example). My expectation would be the the LCD-3 would also be a 6-7 in comfort based on the ear pads. It shows that different people's heads and sensibilities regarding comfort are all over the map.

Concerned: while I am happy to see a positive review for a small, entrepreneurial, US based company; I am concerned about the consequences to quality, availability and service that this could ensue based on increased demand from such a glowing review. Small companies going through rapid growth will face these types of challenges. Audez'e has already experience some development/quality challenges which they appear to be handling well, but if demand steps up, new challenges of a different type may present itself. This however is a happier problem than the alternative. Additionally, the market for $2,000 HF iin itself is a self limiting reaction.

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #103 of 6,385
Quote:
Thanks for posting the link to the review...
One thing I found interesting and the other is a concern.
Interesting: they rated the LCD-2s an 8.5 for comfort and the LCD-3s a 9.0. This incremental difference seems appropriate given what I know about the differences between them. It is the absolute ratings that I find curious. Given the weight, clamping force, uneven pressure and hot wear temperature of the LCD-2s, I would rate them as a 5-6 for comfort (for example, I would rate my AKGs as 7 and HD800 as a 9-10 for example). My expectation would be the the LCD-3 would also be a 6-7 in comfort based on the ear pads. It shows that different people's heads and sensibilities regarding comfort are all over the map.
Concerned: while I am happy to see a positive review for a small, entrepreneurial, US based company; I am concerned about the consequences to quality, availability and service that this could ensue based on increased demand from such a glowing review. Small companies going through rapid growth will face these types of challenges. Audez'e has already experience some development/quality challenges which they appear to be handling well, but if demand steps up, new challenges of a different type may present itself. This however is a happier problem than the alternative. Additionally, the market for $2,000 HF iin itself is a self limiting reaction.

I don't really understand the concern, I mean, sure, the LCD-3 had the veil issue, which was limited to a few batches.
Which has now been taken care of and they've seemingly solved the wood cracking issues.

So even with a revved up demand, having former problems sured up, I don't see the cause for concern.

Perhaps we'll see what affect that kind of glowing review will have....

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #104 of 6,385
Quote:
I don't really understand the concern, I mean, sure, the LCD-3 had the veil issue, which was limited to a few batches.
Which has now been taken care of and they've seemingly solved the wood cracking issues.

So even with a revved up demand, having former problems sured up, I don't see the cause for concern.

FTR, the LCD-3's never had a wood cracking issue due to their design of how the cables are attached to the headphones.

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #105 of 6,385

I have seen too many start-ups struggle through growth before. I have been developing products for too many years and I am just sensitive to such challenges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back