Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #121 of 6,385
No offence and with all due respect, if LCD2's comfort is 8.5 and LCD3's is 9.0, the comfort score of Stax SR009 and Ultarsone ED10 would be like 90.0 and maybe 95.5, respectively.

Don't know about the ED10, but based on that premise, the SR009 would be 17.5, :wink:

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #122 of 6,385
Given the 009 is also heavy and a vice with no way to bend... um no.  The HD800 is crazy light but the cups extend down below the jaw and push on a pressure point so also not perfect.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #123 of 6,385
Hi Macedonian
Thanks for your advice.Your numerous 'posts' indicate you have much to say.Your profile indicates you have experience of many items of headphone equipment?
Both these amps are have been previously considered and will be given due respect( 'Solude's  thread seems to state the GS-X is unavailable?)
I note from your profile you previously owned a Woo WA22?Can you please indicate why you do not recommend this Amp?
Thank you for your time
David

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #124 of 6,385
Hi 'Solude'
Thanks for reply.
Very interested in your comment " buy anything else" I assume that to be in preference to the Rudistor.I note you owned a RP5.1(current model obviously being the RP8.1)
If so,I would be interested to know why?
I note all your recommendations with interest thanks.
Also,I'm interested why you've moved out such Amps as the Woo WA22(same as MacedonianHero)and the Liquid Fire?
Thanks David

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #126 of 6,385
Quote:
Given the 009 is also heavy and a vice with no way to bend... um no.  The HD800 is crazy light but the cups extend down below the jaw and push on a pressure point so also not perfect.

I beg to differ.
The 009s are not as heavy as the LCD2/3.
But more importantly, they are designed in such a way that there is little or no clamping force.
Moreover, even though the headband is not flexible, there is enough vertical adjustment area, to get the correct fit.

In my experience the HD800s are the second most comfortable headphones after the SR009s.

OTOH, the LCD-2s were extremely uncomfortable and although the LCD-3s do have better cushioning, the clamping force still remains because the basic design is the same.

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #127 of 6,385
Quote:
The 009s are not as heavy as the LCD2/3.
But more importantly, they are designed in such a way that there is little or no clamping force.
OTOH, the LCD-2s were extremely uncomfortable and although the LCD-3s do have better cushioning, the clamping force still remains because the basic design is the same.

453g vs 550g isn't a massive difference.  Stax cable is butt ton heavier than Q though.  009 comfort is head size dependent.  I don't fit into a 007, need the longer posts for my LCD-3, so 009 is a vice according to the large head population :p  LCD-X band is metal, bend it until you get the pressure you want :wink:  Don't try that with the 009 or... snap.

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #128 of 6,385
Quote:
Very interested in your comment " buy anything else" I assume that to be in preference to the Rudistor.I note you owned a RP5.1(current model obviously being the RP8.1)
If so,I would be interested to know why?
Also,I'm interested why you've moved out such Amps as the Woo WA22(same as MacedonianHero)and the Liquid Fire?

Rudistor amps are disasters and built to fool.  Think you have a class A amp?  No, you have power resistors attached to the case.  In the ten years they've made amps, no progress at all.  Just reselling a revised version of the same junk for more money.  Others disagree but I was really not impressed with the Liquid Fire for the price.  Its just looked like and felt like a toy.  The sound was ok if priced closer to $750, but at $3200 plus the general impression being the need for $400 in tubes... no.  WA22 and B22 are pretty much stand ins for each other, but the B22 costs less, doesn't require tube replacements, had a pre-out... kept the B22 at the time.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #129 of 6,385
Quote:
Hi Macedonian
Thanks for your advice.Your numerous 'posts' indicate you have much to say.Your profile indicates you have experience of many items of headphone equipment?
Both these amps are have been previously considered and will be given due respect( 'Solude's  thread seems to state the GS-X is unavailable?)
I note from your profile you previously owned a Woo WA22?Can you please indicate why you do not recommend this Amp?
Thank you for your time
David

The GS-X is indeed available...just really hard to snag one. 
wink.gif
 With regards to the WA22, I really liked it...I just much prefer the Liquid Fire that much more. Construction wise, the WA22 is built like a tank, but sonically the LF sounds so much better than the WA22 and B22 IME. The GS-X in balanced mode though gives the LF a real run for its money.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #130 of 6,385
Quote:

The GS-X is indeed available...just really hard to snag one. 
wink.gif
 With regards to the WA22, I really liked it...I just much prefer the Liquid Fire that much more. Construction wise, the WA22 is built like a tank, but sonically the LF sounds so much better than the WA22 and B22 IME. The GS-X in balanced mode though gives the LF a real run for its money.

Peter,

How does the W3000ANV sound on that GS-X?  Does your T1 have a balanced connector?

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #131 of 6,385
Quote:

Peter,

How does the W3000ANV sound on that GS-X?  Does your T1 have a balanced connector?

Simply amazing! I'm only running the W3000ANV and T1s in single-ended mode though. The T1s sound a touch better on the GS-X than the GS-1; though I think running them balanced would open up the differences to be more significant like on my LCD-3s or HD800s. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #133 of 6,385
Hi 'MacedonianHero'
The GS-X was on my list but has now moved up a notch. If SS is getting that close to Tubes then this has got to be a serious contender (cheaper and altogether more practical)).
Two Amps that were on my list were The Dark Star and the Balancing Act-both have been seriously recommended with the LCD3s-any thoughts?
Interestingly Audeze's  'sponsored' RWA 'Edition' does not appear to be receiving 'top marks'.

If anyboby else if following this thread-I'm looking for advice-what Amp for LCD3s for Classical Music use(bearing in mind the Amps being mentioned are not available in the UK and I would probably be buying 'blind')'Solude'has already stated (in his opinion) My Rudistor is crap! so things are moving in the right direction.I'm now thinking,a visit to the US is necessary,possibly Canjam 2013 by then I'd hope to be in a position which Amps to 'target'.Thanks all

Sep 4, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #134 of 6,385
I'm a minimalist.  I bring gear in, live with it a little while, review it against what I already have and keep the better of the two.  The only gear I have is the gear in my signature.  It sounds like you aren't in a rush and have a large budget.  The EC BA is a safe choice, the DarkStar is also terrible from a design point of view.  GS-X is safe as well if you have 6 months to wait.  If you open it up to single ended amps your choices get bigger.  I love the Peak with a good tube.  The Soloist is also nice.

Sep 4, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #135 of 6,385
Another thing since you are buying blind, like all of us... use the For Sale forum.  If you buy used from a EU seller, and you don't like it... just sell it and you lose shipping costs.  That's a lot better than say buying the GS-X for $2500 and having to sell it for $1400 like MH snagged his for or in the case of the LF $3600 with tubes and getting $2400 on sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back