Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #5,836 of 6,385
Jan 18, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #5,837 of 6,385
LCD-3f in action again. This time set it up next to my WFH station. Great tone from Schiit Mjolnir 2. This amp drives it very well. Just swap to Voskhod 6n23p tubes from Amperex Orange Globes. Sound better to my ears... but not sure... will have to play around with different tubes. :)

IMG_1714.jpg

Jan 18, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #5,839 of 6,385
Jan 18, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #5,840 of 6,385
Sydney is not Europe (today) but thanks :wink:

My bad. I thought it's where you live. :) I've bought a lot of gear from that store because if there's anything wrong, I'll just take them back to them instead of sending it back to the manufacturers overseas. I bought Yggdrasil, Ragnarok, HD800 and LCD-2f all together in 2017 from them.

Just realised that Yggy is still under warranty.

Jan 24, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #5,841 of 6,385
Is it recommended to get a lcd 3 manufactured in 2014? I’m thinking of the talk about driver failures on early models. Did the model come out that year or the year before?

Jan 24, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #5,842 of 6,385
Is it recommended to get a lcd 3 manufactured in 2014? I’m thinking of the talk about driver failures on early models. Did the model come out that year or the year before?

I would not buy an LCD3 out of warranty unless you’re ready to accept the possible repair charges. My original set and the warranty replacement have been back for service 6 times. Audeze has been great about doing the work under warranty, but it would have been expensive if I’d had to pay for the repairs and shipping.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #5,845 of 6,385
That would work, but I don’t think Audeze will send out drivers or parts to anyone other than their authorized repair centers internationally. As far as I’m aware, all US repair work happens at their shop in California.

Get the nearest international distributor/dealer. Audeze will send driver parts to them. Except for LCD-4 / 4Z cases, they need the whole headphone ship back to US.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #5,846 of 6,385
If they have the original drivers, I wouldn't buy. Check if the drivers were replaced and when. If they are post 2016 drivers then they are less prone to failures. Also, in 2016 Audeze had a revision in all of their drivers which improved the sound as well.
Also make sure that they have Fazors. Mine were manufactured in Feb 2014 if I'm not mistaken and they were one of the first ones to have Fazors.

Jan 28, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #5,847 of 6,385
Focal Clears were the first high end headphone I'd ever had, and I currently have the LCD-3. Though the Focal frequency response curve appears neutral, I had found the former headphone's lively, brassy character to be fatiguing with certain types of music; percussion especially so. There's things I hadn't tried, like injecting a small amount of second order distortion to try and warm them up, or using them with a tube amp. The Clears and HiFiMan's Aryas do offer more microdetail than the LCD-3 or the LCD-X; the texture I had heard with stringed instruments is only half there with my LCD-3s. Still, the music is presented in an enjoyable way and I will keeping the LCD-3s for a while. I find with hard rock and metal, hearing every last detail in the music, just isn't all that enjoyable.

I just played some techno music (The Crystal Method), and the area below 100 Hz on the LCD-3s is so hefty and low distortion that it sounds like mortars going off.. I am now hearing bass on certain songs (well, all of them on Legion of Boom) presented in a way I had never heard before, with any conventional speaker setup, including my low distortion servo enabled Rhythmik subwoofer and Martin Logan tower speakers (both excellent in their own right). I believe, the following is going on:

1. Resonant peak at 80 Hz, and half wave frequency response spike at 120 Hz
2. Phase shift
3. Undesirable room effects including a low bass null that you can't repair by boosting it
4. Cancellation nulls due to the tower speakers and the sub interacting
5. Distortion rising below 150 Hz on most any conventional speaker setup (most of it masked by the music and not audible like it shows on the charts)

HiFiMan Arya soundstage and imaging is something, to the point of being unnatural (like hearing instruments above my head). That headphone, needless to say, lost in dynamics to the LCD-3 (the Ananda and the HE-1000 probably sound "thin" too). I had noticed kick drums hitting with a satisfying thud when I had tested the LCD-X's in 2018, like no other headphone in the ten or so I had tried.

I've never heard the pre-fazor model, only read that it was warmer and more midrange oriented than the new model, but had less clarity.
I have LCD-3's from 2017, and with my ears being sensitive to treble, I find them perfect for me and would describe them as well balanced and neutral. For example, Focal Clear, Utopia, and LCD-4's were too bright for me. LCD-X was also just a little too bright for me, while not as revealing as the LCD-3's.

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #5,848 of 6,385
Looking for your opinions. i just acquired a pair of LCD-3's yesterday. bought an "open box" with a little bit of $ saved. when i opened them up, they were dated 2016. i am compelled to return them but they sure sound sweet. i would be happy just to pay a little more and get the new ones.

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #5,849 of 6,385
Looking for your opinions. i just acquired a pair of LCD-3's yesterday. bought an "open box" with a little bit of $ saved. when i opened them up, they were dated 2016. i am compelled to return them but they sure sound sweet. i would be happy just to pay a little more and get the new ones.
I have a pair of mint lcd-3s bought in September 2019 that I am willing to part with because I went with lcd-4. If interested PM me. I’ll probably be listing soon, but just been lazy.

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #5,850 of 6,385
I have a pair of mint lcd-3s bought in September 2019 that I am willing to part with because I went with lcd-4. If interested PM me. I’ll probably be listing soon, but just been lazy.

There's your chance @telecaster . :) For me, LCD-3f is very good with tube amps and solid state but LCD-4 is just so much better.... heard it many times in audition with very good gear ... LCD-4 is in my roadmap because I've just pick up a Elekit 8200, which came out of nowhere. Not in my roadmap but I got it anyway and I'll be giving impressions of the Elekit 8200 with LCD-3f later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back