Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #5,821 of 6,385
I've never heard the pre-fazor model, only read that it was warmer and more midrange oriented than the new model, but had less clarity.
I have LCD-3's from 2017, and with my ears being sensitive to treble, I find them perfect for me and would describe them as well balanced and neutral. For example, Focal Clear, Utopia, and LCD-4's were too bright for me. LCD-X was also just a little too bright for me, while not as revealing as the LCD-3's.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #5,822 of 6,385
I've never heard the pre-fazor model, only read that it was warmer and more midrange oriented than the new model, but had less clarity.
I have LCD-3's from 2017, and with my ears being sensitive to treble, I find them perfect for me and would describe them as well balanced and neutral. For example, Focal Clear, Utopia, and LCD-4's were too bright for me. LCD-X was also just a little too bright for me, while not as revealing as the LCD-3's.
Thanks, really helpful, especially comparison to lcd4 and lcdx (have not heard them).

Dec 5, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #5,823 of 6,385
Deleted post

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #5,824 of 6,385
20210114_205705.jpg

Got me a pair of LCD-3s, and I gotta say, I'm very impressed by them. They're basically what I was expecting the LCD-2C to be.

I never really loved the LCD-2C; while I eventually grew to like it, it felt like a compromised headphone, which ultimately lead me to trade it on. It felt like kind of a sleepy, dull headphone due in large part to its mediocre bass response. Extension wasn't great, and it was somewhat down in level. I could forgive that if it had other strengths, but I felt the treble was too recessed, which had a knock-on effect of dropping the soundstage and imaging out. Mid range was great, and I had an appreciation for the headphone's ability to take the edge off certain albums, but in the end it just wasn't enough to justify holding on to them. When I got my HE-500, the LCD-2C's fate was sealed, as it was exactly what I was looking for in a planar magnetic.

Months after that, I grabbed a Sundara; I can't even really remember why. I think I just wanted to try it out. While not up to par with my HE-500, I feel it's a damned good headphone in its own right, and kind of further upset my perception of value in headphones. I never had a chance to compare it directly to the LCD-2C, but impressions were far more positive right out of the gate. It felt closer to the HE-500 in terms of bass extension and quantity, so it immediately fixed the biggest issue the LCD-2C had. While not as smooth as the LCD-2C, it isn't bright to my ear, so it captures some of the magic of the Audeze. Being less than half the price it made the LCD-2C look even worse in comparison.

With a relatively low opinion on the 2C, why on earth would I roll the dice on the LCD-3? I really have no idea. I have a terrible habit of getting headphones on a whim, or against general consensus, or even against my better judgement. Oddly enough, it usually pays off, and this is no exception! These are absolutely lovely sounding, and in the long term I think they'll prove to be a nice complement to my HE-500. This is pretty much the perfect example of slight tunings having a profound effect on the overall sound of a headphone. Treble is up in level slightly, bass is up a bit, and extension goes a little lower. It sets the sound just right, and suddenly there is imaging and soundstage to speak of. While maybe not the biggest soundstage ever, the imaging is on point, and may be the best of my headphones. These headphones have woken up a bit compared to the LCD-2C. Rather than being sleepy, I would describe these as being mild. There is some energy in there, it's just subdued, even compared to my HE-500, which I consider to be about neutral. One of the albums that I absolutely love to listen to, but is a little too hot on basically all of my headphones, is Beastie Boys' Licensed to Ill. Not sure what was going on in the mastering of that, but there is waaay too much treble energy. The LCD-3 basically knocks it down to about where it should be, making me able to crank it when I really feel like jamming. :beyersmile:

They're also super easy to drive. Running them off my Woo Audio WA2 sounds just fine, and no matter how much I push the volume I can't get them to break up. Even my Sundara can distort out of this when I push the volume too hard.

These have really made me curious about the LCD-X; they've gotta be better than the LCD-2C, right?

Jan 15, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #5,825 of 6,385
Nice writeup! I am glad your impulse buys have been paying off. I went from original Grado RS-1s to the LCD-3s, so I skipped the LCD-2s. The Grado's are detailed but tend to be on the brighter side, and the LCD-3 beats them soundly at bass. I am not sure about the LCD-X, but I love my LCD-XCs. I will use them more often when I am back in the office. I will say that the LCD-4s are a step up from the LCD-3s, but I would get a powerful amp for them, and I have a Bryston BHA-1, which is about as rock solid as an amp can be, and with a 20 years parts and labor warranty!

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #5,826 of 6,385
I'm in agreement with Tweakybiff. Presently I have LCD-3f and LCD-X, the latter is only a few months old. LCD-3f is coming home to me after I send it to the head-fi shop for some TLC - new steel suspension headband and new original Audeze leather earpads. Of the 2, I've a problem deciding which I prefer more. LCD-3f is more relaxed compared to the X but that suits me when I'm in that mood and the bass is simply Audeze planar gorgeous bass. Much better than the LCD-2f I had before. LCD-X is more neutral and transparent but not to the degree of HD800. It's still very solid bass similar to the 3 but tighter and not as spread out. It has it's purpose.

On the LCD-4, I've heard it several times at the head-fi shop in my city. However a visit just before Christmas, left me in awe with what I heard. Qutest > Auris Nirvana > LCD-4. Bass with seismic waves, speaker like bass. Tight and impact laden and more spread out than the X. Better than the 3 and X that's for sure. Clarity, details, imaging, instruments separation are just on another level from 3 and X. In fact after listening to the 4 on that setup, I ask the proprietor for a LCD-3f to test. With the 3 on that setup, it immediately became more bloomy and not as precise. I was very disappointed with the 3 after hearing the 4.

So the advise is, don't hear the 4. Just enjoy the 3 and X but I've my sight on the 4 later this year. :wink:

So a picture of the setup I heard with both 3 and 4.

LCD-4 with Chord Qutest and Auris Nirvana - ECC82 and EL34 tubes
IMG_1564.jpg

LCD-3f with Chord Qutest and Auris Nirvana
IMG_1565.jpg

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #5,827 of 6,385
I got another headphone alongside these, but I've barely used it because I just can't pull myself away from these. They're very, very comfortable, which is sorta hindering my willingness to cycle them out. It's funny: just like with Hifiman, I prefer the older style headband to the newer one. Rather than resting the headphone on the top of your head, this one hugs them on; it makes the weight distribution much more even. And of course, the ear pads are famously plush. If I had to nit pick these headphones, it's that the ear pads are so plush I can't pick the headphones up by the cups with one hand, they just kind of mush and rotate when I do that. First world problems and all that...

Jan 16, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #5,829 of 6,385
Don't all LCDs come with a suspension headband nowadays? Is this an older version?

Yes it is an older version but same drivers. Post 2016. Mine is 2017. What you see above picture is the old demo pair at https://www.minidisc.com.au/

I had my yoke, headband and earpads replaced with original. Just collected it yesterday. Sound so beautiful out of Schiit Mjolnir 2. Haven't heard my LCD-3f in 6 weeks while it was at the shop for those replacement. In the meantime I was using He1000se and LCD-X. I didn't want to replace the metal yoke myself so paid the shop to do it. It's like new now.

Why did I replace the yoke? A spot of paint came off and I'm OCD. It has to be perfect. :)

IMG_1700.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #5,832 of 6,385
I find that these types of stands degrade the cups over time. I prefer the type of stands as you use for the Hifiman there

Have been using those Omega stands for a few years. They may degrade the pads over time but it will take a very long time especially with my new pads, which I was hoping will be seasoned a bit by putting them on the Omega stands.

I've another Woo stand and that's probably better.

IMG_1487.jpg

Jan 17, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #5,833 of 6,385
Have been using those Omega stands for a few years. They may degrade the pads over time but it will take a very long time especially with my new pads, which I was hoping will be seasoned a bit by putting them on the Omega stands.

I've another Woo stand and that's probably better.

IMG_1487.jpg
I use the Woo stand and highly recommend them, too!

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #5,834 of 6,385
I like those stands too but I haven't seen a European source for the double hanger. I bought a cheap Gravity branded stand and I'm pretty happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back