Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #5,596 of 6,388
I am happy that head-fi editing mode is back. I was not aware how frustrating it is to wait for the possibility to reply or give a like. (Am I getting addicted?)

The new look is bearable, matches the rectangled trend of Win10, which I hate. I liked the old look better. I am missing the instant view of the signatures and the scores of the users.

Feb 13, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #5,597 of 6,388
Hey everyone, I just picked up a pair LC3 used and I'm loving the sound so far. But man, these things are heavy and a little uncomfortable. They came with the carbon fiber headband, but I'm wondering if the steel suspension headband is a worthwhile comfort upgrade? I already ordered some Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads, which will go a long way. Will the other headband be much better than the carbon fiber band?

Feb 13, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #5,598 of 6,388
Why would the steel headband be better? Are you talking about the carbon fiber headband with the wide strap that looks like the steel setup, or is this an old style, narrow headband?

I think the LCD comfort thing is very personal. A lot of people can't wear them. I find them very comfortable.

Feb 13, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #5,599 of 6,388
Why would the steel headband be better? Are you talking about the carbon fiber headband with the wide strap that looks like the steel setup, or is this an old style, narrow headband?

I think the LCD comfort thing is very personal. A lot of people can't wear them. I find them very comfortable.

Yes, I'm talking about the carbon fiber band that looks like the steel band and comes standard in the LCD4. i guess I'm wondering if there's much of a difference between the two and if it would be worth trying the other one. If the Carbon Fiber band is considered the best (it's $200 vs the steel spring headband at $125) then okay, that's good to know. I guess I could just buy it and find out though, just looking to see if anyone has any experience between the two.

Feb 13, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #5,600 of 6,388
I think what's important is the style and shape more than the materials. Carbon fiber should be the lighter of the two. If you don't like it I would not waste money on the steel one. It either sits on your head comfortably or it doesn't.

Feb 13, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #5,602 of 6,388
I can't imagine carrying that kind of load on your head with the old style. The new style has to be a clear win except it looks like something only a spaceman's mother could love.

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #5,603 of 6,388

The two are the same design but different materials which make the CF version slightly lighter, so I can't fathom a way in which the steel version would be more comfortable either. The only advantage of the steel band over the carbon fiber band is that you can bend it into shape, but I still don't see any logic into why it would be more comfortable.

@botherly LCD comfort won't be improved by the Dekoni pads for most people either; they clamp a little harder and aren't quite as plush feeling (through swapping them on my own LCD-3).

Feb 15, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #5,604 of 6,388
The two are the same design but different materials which make the CF version slightly lighter, so I can't fathom a way in which the steel version would be more comfortable either. The only advantage of the steel band over the carbon fiber band is that you can bend it into shape, but I still don't see any logic into why it would be more comfortable.

@botherly LCD comfort won't be improved by the Dekoni pads for most people either; they clamp a little harder and aren't quite as plush feeling (through swapping them on my own LCD-3).

You know, I actually wanted more clamping; figured out that the little black set screw under the flange can be adjusted to make it clamp harder (and more evenly).

Still doesn't fit the headband though. I'll likely try a new strap or possibly adjust the strap I have. But the better clamping helps a lot. And I do like the fenestrated sheepskin pads I got, they're nice and comfortable.

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #5,605 of 6,388
You know, I actually wanted more clamping; figured out that the little black set screw under the flange can be adjusted to make it clamp harder (and more evenly).

Still doesn't fit the headband though. I'll likely try a new strap or possibly adjust the strap I have. But the better clamping helps a lot. And I do like the fenestrated sheepskin pads I got, they're nice and comfortable.
Ok, for more clamping you actually might prefer the combo of the (bendable) steel band and the Dekoni pads, so my previous statement might have been completely off base. I don't think adjusting the strap will give you quite the tightening affect your looking for, I suspect it will lift the cups but not pull them in.

IME, the dekoni pads add a little bit of air to the sound but pull a little bit of the impact out of the bass; for me this balanced the LCD-3 perfectly for jazz and acoustic music but detracted slightly from its comparative performance with rap and RnB (still excellent but I ever so slightly miss the additional slam).

PM me if you get a new headband.

Feb 17, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #5,606 of 6,388
I’m selling my LCD3, I also own the LCDx and LCD4 at the same time for 3 days. Feel free to PM me and I’m happy to explain how they differ in sound (LCDx was just sold)

Attachments

• 1E732D7D-97B3-4884-B84C-D7F94FDD7148.jpeg
    1E732D7D-97B3-4884-B84C-D7F94FDD7148.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Feb 20, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #5,607 of 6,388
I’m selling my LCD3, I also own the LCDx and LCD4 at the same time for 3 days. Feel free to PM me and I’m happy to explain how they differ in sound (LCDx was just sold)

I have an LCD 3 and am curious about an upgrade path. I was eyeing the LCD4 and would love to hear your thoughts on how they differ, as you could ABX them.

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #5,608 of 6,388

You might have one of the old carbon fiber headbands. When they first was released the leather strap was too long and touching the carbon fiber, creating a hot spot on your head. The band have to be modded (unscrewed and shortened). I and a bunch of other had to do this.

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #5,609 of 6,388
Hey everyone, I just picked up a pair LC3 used and I'm loving the sound so far. But man, these things are heavy and a little uncomfortable. They came with the carbon fiber headband, but I'm wondering if the steel suspension headband is a worthwhile comfort upgrade? I already ordered some Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads, which will go a long way. Will the other headband be much better than the carbon fiber band?
you should try an abyss 1266, then put on the LCD-3. LOL

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #5,610 of 6,388
I have an LCD 3 and am curious about an upgrade path. I was eyeing the LCD4 and would love to hear your thoughts on how they differ, as you could ABX them.

My acquisition path was, LCD3 pre favor -> LCDX -> LCD3 fazor (at this point I decided to sell LCDX) -> LCDi4 (at this point I decided to sell LCD3) -> LCD4 (I decided to keep LCDi4)

Starting with sound stage, LCDX sounds more formal, structured to me like this

LCDX: LEFT [ | | | | | | | ] RIGHT

But LCD3 feels more like this with a bigger focus at the center point of the sound stage. It provides a perception that LCD3 gives more sound, especially the mid range in terms of texture/layer/details, and due to the centered sounding, it also gives you an illusion of slightly less contrast and dynamic than the LCDX but to me the detail retrieval / high / lows are fairly equal.

LCD3: LEFT [ | | |||| | | |] RIGHT

LCD4 feels more like this, sound is everywhere. I don't find LCD4 to have larger sound stage, it's just sound is filled in all spaces but with very large image body, so the contrast is as good as LCDX but the overall dynamic and weight of each note is a lot stronger (reminds me of Focal Stellia) than LCD3 and LCDX.

LCD4: LEFT [|||||||||||||||] RIGHT

In terms of neutrality, LCDX > LCD3 ~= LCD4, I feel LCD4 and 3 are both tuned to please your ears for enjoyment on the mid timbre and bass response, and they're not very accurate as LCDX, but very pleased to listen to. Female vocals on LCD4 has the most sweetened/ saturated sound that makes singer almost feel younger.

In terms of details, LCD4 > LCD3 ~= LCDX, the extra details usually come from a sense of what I call "realistic grain" or "realistic sparkles". All three headphones do not have piercing treble or boomy bass, but LCD4 adds a lot of sparkle and grain to the experience, making you feel the music is more sophisticated than what it's truly there, but in a highly convincing and clean way. That's why sometimes people prefer LCD3 because LCD4 tried really hard to prove it to you that it can shout at you for all the details. I don't find it distracting though, still very much pleasing.

In terms of speed of decay, LCD4 >> LCDX > LCD3. Perception wise, LCD3 has a slight echo chamber sound you will feel the sound will bounce around a little bit before/after the note and it's very warm, musical, comforting, LCD4 has very fast decay in bass and treble, it's like you see a F1 car coming at you and the next moment it's gone. What it does to bass is you will perceive much deeper initial kick and punch, follow by silence. I personally prefer this as it makes complex music sound more structured, and add contrast and dynamic to the music.

In terms of musicality, LCD3 > LCD4 > LCDX. LCD3's sound makes you focus on one primary subject at a time, your brain can easily find that attaching point and if you're not paying attention and working, the music blends in the background as a nice cushion. LCD4 really tries to impress you and as said above, not the most neutral and trying to add more excitement and element to the sound, I'd consider it a bit intense and you feel sucked into the music. I actually don't find LCDX to have great musicality for most of the music I listen to (vocal, jazz, alt rock), the structures of the sound is just too scatted but I can see it works really well for EDM and classical music.

In terms of euphoric sound, LCD4 >> LCD3 > LCDX, this is an alternative way to look at musicality. Because LCD4 is intense, it provides you a temporary suspense of euphoric feeling to a piece of intense music (like sound tracks in Interstella) you just don't experience in other LCDs. It's a combination of speed, detail, and sound stage.

My recommendation is, if you're happy with LCD3 or LCDX, don't upgrade nor ever listen to / touch / try LCD4. But if you have at least one more back up headphone (let's say you have HD650 and LCD3) and you have a lot of cash to spend in the hobby, sell your LCD3 and buy a LCD4.

Oh, lastly, probably an unpopular opinion, but if you haven't bought LCDX/LCD3 and considering buying, and you have an iPhone, then I wouldn't bother with LCDx/LCD3, and buy a LCDi4 + Lighting Cypher cable instead, most everything said about them is true : ).

If you're unhappy about LCDX, you might be happier with LCD3, but the other way around is much less likely to happen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back