Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #4,261 of 6,385
I was really asking whether there are any substantial differences.
Mine are 3 years old. The price in Hong Kong to replace the drivers is HKD6,000 (USD1:HKD7.5)

The differences is substantial IMO. The sound still have most of the musicality, fullness and richness from the older revisions, but with more air, less grain, blacker background and clearer sound all across the FR. The high treble is more prominent and contribute to a clearer and airier sound. It also make it less forgiving of issues in higher FR than the older revisions. For me it has been a clear step up in SQ with the latest revision. The difference is IME as substantial as all the previous revision combined.  

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #4,262 of 6,385
I currently own the LCD-3f (may2015 build) , LCD-4, Hifiman HE-1K, and the new Sennheiser 800S headphones. All four are fantastic headphones in their own right. After months of listening on a nightly basis, I often find myself enjoying the LCD-3f the most for the way it communicates music to my ear. They are just so organic sounding and just get my toes tapping more than the others for some reason. I'm so happy that I didn't take others advice to sell them once I got the LCD-4.

Mind sharing your setup to these headphones?
recently considering an upgrade of amp or dac

Jun 25, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #4,263 of 6,385

The differences is substantial IMO. The sound still have most of the musicality, fullness and richness from the older revisions, but with more air, less grain, blacker background and clearer sound all across the FR. The high treble is more prominent and contribute to a clearer and airier sound. It also make it less forgiving of issues in higher FR than the older revisions. For me it has been a clear step up in SQ with the latest revision. The difference is IME as substantial as all the previous revision combined.  

[/quote

I contacted Audeze and got the following impressive reply by return:
Hello Stewart

Thanks for your purchase! Our records show your headphones were made prior to our last revision in January of 2016, so while they're not the absolute latest, please rest assured they can stand proudly against the recent revision. We feel the current versions of our drivers offer a modest improvement in sonics but the differences are subtle and are probably not noticeable except in direct A/B comparisons.

We currently offer a driver upgrade program for a cost of $250, which includes complete replacement of both drivers. You pay for shipping to us, we pay for shipping back.

Be aware that the differences between previous and 2016 headphones are fairly subtle, and not everyone will hear them the same way or like what they hear. Therefore we can't make any guarantees about your perception of the differences, and this is an irreversible and non-refundable service offer.

That is what I call good service.

Jun 25, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #4,264 of 6,385
Mind sharing your setup to these headphones?
recently considering an upgrade of amp or dac

I use the Burson CV2 amp (just released a few months ago). Previously had the Burson Soloist. I use the Sony DAp NW-ZX2 via its wm port (best sounding dap ever) as my source streaming Tidal Hifi. The synergy of Burson amps(as most reviewers also note) with LCD headphones is amazing even though it sounds great regardless of the headphone used. I like their energy. I've had other amps that were nice(Schiit) but it's the Bursons that gets my toes tapping. I had a meet a few months ago and compared my Burson to the highly regarded GD Audio Master 9 amp, and they sounded nearly identical. This makes the Burson a steal at 1k vs 1.8k for the Audio GD.
Both have plenty of power to drive nearly any headphone nicely.

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #4,265 of 6,385
I use the Burson CV2 amp (just released a few months ago). Previously had the Burson Soloist. I use the Sony DAp NW-ZX2 via its wm port (best sounding dap ever) as my source streaming Tidal Hifi. The synergy of Burson amps(as most reviewers also note) with LCD headphones is amazing even though it sounds great regardless of the headphone used. I like their energy. I've had other amps that were nice(Schiit) but it's the Bursons that gets my toes tapping. I had a meet a few months ago and compared my Burson to the highly regarded GD Audio Master 9 amp, and they sounded nearly identical. This makes the Burson a steal at 1k vs 1.8k for the Audio GD.
Both have plenty of power to drive nearly any headphone nicely.

I'm also eyeing on the Burson CV2+ and the Audio-gd NFB-27H (Master 11's ESS9018 version).. If there were the same price, would you think going for the audio-gd will be a better choice given it has more output options, such as xlr balanced output and pre-amp balanced out?

Jun 25, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #4,266 of 6,385
I'm also eyeing on the Burson CV2+ and the Audio-gd NFB-27H (Master 11's ESS9018 version).. If there were the same price, would you think going for the audio-gd will be a better choice given it has more output options, such as xlr balanced output and pre-amp balanced out?

Yes, I would say so. It's also a bit more powerful.

Jun 26, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #4,268 of 6,385
Returning to Audeze after selling my LCD2 1.5 years ago. Buying a mint condition LCD3F, 27xxx serial #, about 6m old. Are there differences between 27xxx and 28xxx serial number cans?

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #4,269 of 6,385

[/quote

I contacted Audeze and got the following impressive reply by return:
Hello Stewart

Thanks for your purchase! Our records show your headphones were made prior to our last revision in January of 2016, so while they're not the absolute latest, please rest assured they can stand proudly against the recent revision. We feel the current versions of our drivers offer a modest improvement in sonics but the differences are subtle and are probably not noticeable except in direct A/B comparisons.

We currently offer a driver upgrade program for a cost of $250, which includes complete replacement of both drivers. You pay for shipping to us, we pay for shipping back.

Be aware that the differences between previous and 2016 headphones are fairly subtle, and not everyone will hear them the same way or like what they hear. Therefore we can't make any guarantees about your perception of the differences, and this is an irreversible and non-refundable service offer.

That is what I call good service.

Yes a possibility to upgrade for 250 USD is really good service if it include two new drivers and fazors.

I personally think that the differences between previous LCD3 and the 2016 revision is very clear, especially in the treble, but also in other areas. I do agree with the Audeze rep. that the change in sound will not be for everybody and synergy perfect in all setups. It’s borderline to much high treble together with my Marantz PM 11 (amp), but not with the Master 9 (amp). With Marantz PM 11 I get the most balanced FR with the Audeze vegan pads.

You can always bring your LCD3 to a hifi store that sells Audeze and try yours against the new one. 

Jun 26, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #4,270 of 6,385

A little late to the game, but here's my non-fazored LCD3 :D 

Jun 26, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #4,271 of 6,385

A little late to the game, but here's my non-fazored LCD3 :D 

I really like my non-fazored LCD-3's as well. Better mid-range and creamy sounding.

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #4,272 of 6,385

I really like my non-fazored LCD-3's as well. Better mid-range and creamy sounding.

Creamy is the word. It envelopes you in a luscious pillow of sound!

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #4,273 of 6,385
The fazor treble is a bit bright for me so the bass is weakened relatively. I haven't heard the pre-fazor version before but my EQ setting speaks for itself......
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #4,274 of 6,385
I just traded my 2016 LCD-X for a 2016 LCD-3. I'm quite pleased with the midrange and bass presence. Really good compliment to the HD800 and L700, I prefer this over the LCD-X due to the X's treble being worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back