Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
May 20, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #4,231 of 6,385
May 20, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #4,232 of 6,385
I didn't even realize there was a new headband until I put it on. It looks basically the same. My old one worked, but it felt kind of loose and seemed like it was too big for my head even though it worked. This new one fits much more snugly. I will see if it is more comfortable or not. On thing though, it definitely makes sure the drivers and snug against my head. I think most people would find this one better.

May 21, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #4,233 of 6,385
  I didn't even realize there was a new headband until I put it on. It looks basically the same. My old one worked, but it felt kind of loose and seemed like it was too big for my head even though it worked. This new one fits much more snugly. I will see if it is more comfortable or not. On thing though, it definitely makes sure the drivers and snug against my head. I think most people would find this one better.

I got the same headband on my (2016) LCD3 as I had on my LCD3 (2014) which was the same as my LCD3 (2013). Lol the LCD2 R2 was a new reversion 2011/2012 as I pointed out.   

May 25, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #4,234 of 6,385
Is there anyway to check if the model is equipped with the new driver when I buy? I am considering getting the LCD-3 but after some research, I heard that the new driver will help with the bad quality control issue in LCD-3. Is it possible to check the manufacture date of this can?

May 25, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #4,235 of 6,385
  Is there anyway to check if the model is equipped with the new driver when I buy? I am considering getting the LCD-3 but after some research, I heard that the new driver will help with the bad quality control issue in LCD-3. Is it possible to check the manufacture date of this can?

No, you'll need to give the serial to Audeze and ask when they were manufactured. Unless they're new, then you'll receive a document with the cans.

May 25, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #4,236 of 6,385

It's discussed in this thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/804186/audezes-2016-revamp-re-voiced-and-re-engineered-headphones-the-entire-line-except-sine-and-el8-ti-these-have-updates-as-standard

Basically, if the serial number is 2821xxx and above, it will be a 2016 revision. I don't think you'll be able to check if you're ordering from Audeze direct, but it's worth a try to ask if you can. If you can visit a dealer you can see for yourself the serial number on the box and on the cans.

May 25, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #4,237 of 6,385

It's discussed in this thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/804186/audezes-2016-revamp-re-voiced-and-re-engineered-headphones-the-entire-line-except-sine-and-el8-ti-these-have-updates-as-standard

Basically, if the serial number is 2821xxx and above, it will be a 2016 revision. I don't think you'll be able to check if you're ordering from Audeze direct, but it's worth a try to ask if you can. If you can visit a dealer you can see for yourself the serial number on the box and on the cans.

Thanks for your information. On another point, I am also quite worried about the QC issue for LCD-3. Is there any improvement for this with this new model?

May 25, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #4,238 of 6,385
  Thanks for your information. On another point, I am also quite worried about the QC issue for LCD-3. Is there any improvement for this with this new model?

It's too early to tell yet, since it is a 2016 revision... It is only May coming on to June but so far we don't have any reports of the new revision failing. The problem also is that the failures before tended to occur after about 2 years or so.

May 28, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #4,239 of 6,385
Getting LCD 3 Fazors in the mail soon, anyone listened to them on a bottlehead crack? I know it's not the best combo, but I'm building one for a school project and hoping the combo would be somewhat decent

May 28, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #4,240 of 6,385
Getting LCD 3 Fazors in the mail soon, anyone listened to them on a bottlehead crack? I know it's not the best combo, but I'm building one for a school project and hoping the combo would be somewhat decent

I've not listened to my LCD-3f with a Crack, my guess is that it's not optimal. With tubes I am loving the MicroZOTL 2, with the LPS.

Jun 7, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #4,241 of 6,385
Going to list my like new LCD 3f for sale. I barely ever have time to listen to them. Just not worth it for it to sit on my desk. What's a reasonable price for it? Bought from authorized dealer only 3 months old.

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #4,244 of 6,385
  Has anyone tried these with Grace Design m9xx? Do they pair well?

I haven't but they don't put out much power at 110 ohms...on high gain probably less than 300mW. That's not going to be much better than run of the mill amps and for the $500 Massdrop price I don't think it's worth it with LCDs at least.

Look for an amp that outputs in the 1-4 W sweet spot at 110 ohms to get the maximum potential of the LCD 3 (for current LCD 3s, else 50-60 ohms for the older revisions). 

There are a few amps producing less than 1W @ 110 ohm that people tend to rave about with the LCD 3s - I would ignore them. They might seem to sound good but most amps that can drive the LCD 3s with the right amount of power blow them out of the water. LCDs might not be as power hungry as the HE-6s but they still need way more power than most headphones do.

Jun 12, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #4,245 of 6,385
Has anyone tried these with Grace Design m9xx? Do they pair well?

Best value amp/dac combo period is audio-gd NFB-28, IMO. and it pairs very well with LCD-3. Gives a touch of extra energy on top with more then enough power to drive the base hard, all well feeling very smooth and natural (for a sabre dac)

i would also say anything less then an nfb-28 or a schiit stack will leave your 2000$ headphones wanting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back