Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
May 8, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #4,201 of 6,385
How is the reliability of this headphone? I'm planning to get a pre-owned non-fazor one. While researching, I heard quite a few person have the driver blown.. Is that the quality control problem or do they just listen too loud/amp spike?

Mine is a early 2014 model classic. Never had a fault.

Sometimes I think it is the amps blowing the drivers as some have multiple failures and others like myself have nothing.

May 8, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #4,202 of 6,385
It seems to be the fazer models. Mine has seen gentle use with the same amp as a set of alpha dogs which received far more use in actual hours and no issues. My early 2014 lcd 3f is being serviced now for right driver failure. There are just too many occurances to be coincidence. I thought that I was going to be immune as mine were just at the 2 year mark with no issues. But mine probably only get 10 hours per week of use and I am very conservative with volume. I am just glad mine failed within the warranty period. I would never buy Audeze used unless I was prepared to absorb the cost of a driver replacement.

Mine is a early 2014 model classic. Never had a fault.

Sometimes I think it is the amps blowing the drivers as some have multiple failures and others like myself have nothing.

May 8, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #4,203 of 6,385
It seems to be the fazer models. Mine has seen gentle use with the same amp as a set of alpha dogs which received far more use in actual hours and no issues. My early 2014 lcd 3f is being serviced now for right driver failure. There are just too many occurances to be coincidence. I thought that I was going to be immune as mine were just at the 2 year mark with no issues. But mine probably only get 10 hours per week of use and I am very conservative with volume. I am just glad mine failed within the warranty period. I would never buy Audeze used unless I was prepared to absorb the cost of a driver replacement.
The high faulty rate seems to be unacceptable for a product with such pricing...

I actually can get a good deal on used 2014 LCD-3 .. What do I need to be caution when testing it out? How does the driver failure sound? Is it completely gone or there are some missing frequency only? Thanks.

May 9, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #4,204 of 6,385
ive been very satisfied with the resolution of my driver failure and unit repair, so this is not a big deal to me personally.

May 11, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #4,206 of 6,385
Just purchased the LCD-3c =)
Planning to get Schiit Gumby + Mjolnir 2 combo when I move to a bigger place in the coming year.
I'm looking for a compact DAC/AMP to use in the meantime, which may also be useful if I want to bring it around my new home to listen in the future. Any suggestion? Is the Jds O2/ODAC a good budget choice? Or should I get the Matrix Mini-I Pro, which has more output options? Should I be looking for a transparent option or a brighter option as LCD-3 is a dark phone? Thanks.

May 15, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #4,207 of 6,385
The high faulty rate seems to be unacceptable for a product with such pricing...

I actually can get a good deal on used 2014 LCD-3 .. What do I need to be caution when testing it out? How does the driver failure sound? Is it completely gone or there are some missing frequency only? Thanks.

Before my left driver failed it started making a crackling noise when pressure was applied on the driver. If I for example added some (light pressure! Don't force it, because that is not good for the drivers!) pressure on the earcups when putting the headphones on the left driver would make some "flex" noise, kind of crackling like a plastic bag. Didn't take long before the driver died completely. Had both drivers replaced and I'm once again enjoying my 3's. GL

May 15, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #4,208 of 6,385
Okay my repaired LCD-3f, now Audeze Vintage 2016 returned yesterday, OMG, all of the things I love about Audeze, PrAT, bass, rich midrange now with incredible clarity. I can't wait until my Norne Draug 2 gets here.

Listening to Stan Getz, "The Bossa Nova Albums", bliss.....

May 16, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #4,209 of 6,385

Before my left driver failed it started making a crackling noise when pressure was applied on the driver. If I for example added some (light pressure! Don't force it, because that is not good for the drivers!) pressure on the earcups when putting the headphones on the left driver would make some "flex" noise, kind of crackling like a plastic bag. Didn't take long before the driver died completely. Had both drivers replaced and I'm once again enjoying my 3's. GL

I have this exact crackling noise in mine and my drivers are fairly new (jan 2016). I really hope they wont die on me.

May 16, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #4,211 of 6,385
Any suggestions on best balanced cable to connect LCD3 to Violectric 281?

I have used Moon audio and SAA endorphin in the past for other phones.

I like what I hear with Toxic Cables SW22 and Tralucent Uber. :)

May 16, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #4,212 of 6,385
May 16, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #4,213 of 6,385
Any suggestions on best balanced cable to connect LCD3 to Violectric 281?

I have used Moon audio and SAA endorphin in the past for other phones.

I love the Norne Draug 2, especially with my revised 2016 version, great cable, immaculate construction and at a decent price.

May 16, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #4,214 of 6,385
A little more listening time with my revised LCD-3f (vintage 2015, repaired last week for a driver failure), the clarity has been improved significantly. Maybe a modest head-stage increase, great bass and midrange retained. It plays quite well with the MiocroZOTL 2, a wonderful pairing,  it really is an amazing little amp.

May 16, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #4,215 of 6,385
  A little more listening time with my revised LCD-3f (vintage 2015, repaired last week for a driver failure), the clarity has been improved significantly. Maybe a modest head-stage increase, great bass and midrange retained. It plays quite well with the MiocroZOTL 2, a wonderful pairing,  it really is an amazing little amp.

Kevin give it around 170 hours of burn in and you will get even better sound
tongue_smile.gif
 The sound gets more refined and opens up, just like in the older revisions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back