Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #3,781 of 6,388
The LCD-3F is still my favorite Audeze HP and I have heard every version of the LCD-2+, X, 560 and several modded versions of each as well.  

At a recent meet I paired the LCD-3F with at least 15 different amps from the lower end desk amps mostly Schiit products (Vali, Asgard etc) to a loaded Woo Audio W5 with Sophia Princess Royal Tubes paired with a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC ($12,000 combo).

The best HP Amp/DAC I heard was surprisingly, at least to me, was a Yulong DAC/Amp combo.and the best portable was an Android/OPPO HA-2

That being said the W5/Yggy and the HD800 was jaw dropping but add up the cost

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #3,782 of 6,388
Hey Ill buy soon LCD3, do you know if it will be well driven by iBasso DX90? Thanks

Had never paired my LCD3Fs and DX90 but gave that combo a listen tonight.

I don't think the DX90 drives the LCD3s very well - bass was light and soft compared to my desktop amps and attack, particularly reproducing drums, just wasn't that great. Both bass and attack were much better with a FIIO E12 added into the chain. Not GSX-MK2 level, but good enough that the DX90/E12 combo could hold you over until you saved up for a more powerful amp.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #3,784 of 6,388
  I've been using my lcd 3F for more than 6 months, I love the sound so much,I want to help Audeze improve the sound further more . My question is what's the weakest points in the sound of lcd 3 you wish they improve them !! maybe this is not the best way..
but for me :
1- The weight I hope they can make a thinner diaphragm like the he1000.
2- the treble area sound smooth and wonderful but they need to extended  so it can produce the best detail in this area .

Thanks for Audeze I hope we see more high end products .

I really wouldn't change much other than the weight.

For me I would hate them to extend the treble. I am very treble sensitive and there really is not many HP's in the market like the LCD3. The treble rich headphone is everywhere including the LCD-X.

Please let us treble sensitive guys just have one HP we can listen to all day.
wink_face.gif

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #3,785 of 6,388

I really wouldn't change much other than the weight.

For me I would hate them to extend the treble. I am very treble sensitive and there really is not many HP's in the market like the LCD3. The treble rich headphone is everywhere including the LCD-X.

Please let us treble sensitive guys just have one HP we can listen to all day.
wink_face.gif

Amen to that

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #3,786 of 6,388
Now Im with AKG K545, I think the problem comes from the HPs themselves, before time I had K317 and Im familiar with the AKG sound. The highs are too heavy and they even hurted my ears, now Im healing and in order to that I want to choose something that will sathisfy me in the whole spectrum without need to level up (The EQ of DX90 is not good at all). Because of that I want open back even (I dont know how it be if Im outside but the open back I thing will be softer sounding to the ears). Then I think the LCD3 will be well driven only by desktop DAC/AMPS not even Astell & Kern K240.

Are EL-8 something to be paired with DX90? And are EL-8 near to the awesomness of the LCD3 (with DX90)? Some people say EL-8 is mids heavy and I dont like it if its so.

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #3,787 of 6,388
Looking for LCF 3F opinions. I remember that LCD3 were quite bassy oriented and I wanted to know if the Fazor version is more neutral thus allowing a larger soundstage for Classical music (large symphonies phalanxes).
How do these new headphones compare to an HD800 for example looking at this matter ?

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #3,788 of 6,388
The first song I heard on the 3f's it was listening to the first movement of vivaldi's Winter and it sounded amazing to me.

Warm? Sure. Open? So to speak. Airy? Just enough.

I think the 3f's get way too much flak for use with classical music. I think they do a great job for such a warm headphone.

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #3,789 of 6,388
  The first song I heard on the 3f's it was listening to the first movement of vivaldi's Winter and it sounded amazing to me.

Warm? Sure. Open? So to speak. Airy? Just enough.

I think the 3f's get way too much flak for use with classical music. I think they do a great job for such a warm headphone.

'Way too much flak' ? You mean that the LCD 3F deserves too much criticism from people using those headphones for Classical music ?
What do the great job ??
I think I haven't understood all the comment.

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #3,790 of 6,388
'Way too much flak' ? You mean that the LCD 3F deserves too much criticism from people using those headphones for Classical music ?
What do the great job ??
I think I haven't understood all the comment.
I don't think people give enough credit to the lcd 3f for the way it handles classical music. Medium sized soundstage and warmth doesn't always mean crappy with classical.
Sorry for not being clear I have tendency to ramble...

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #3,791 of 6,388
My problem is the overall soundstage presentation being for me completely different than the HD-800. This leads to the experience sounding congested, more like an overall wave of music instead of individual performers, and just generally enveloping.

I also have a huge issue with trying to hear micro-details on the 3F's. I hear precise, nuanced details on both the 650's and 800's, where I hear a halo of added bass and treble on the 3F's. I like a warm presentation myself, and find the HD-800's stock treble to be at times intolerable, so it isn't a matter of anything being rolled off on the LCD's. What it is simply just not presenting the details with the same level of clarity. I can quite early pick out two guitar strings producing two individual tones, with different nuanced "vibrations" (for lack of a better term) on the HD's, where on the LCD's, I hear the leading edge of the guitar strings with nice clarity, but then just the resulting tones mushed together. I find it incredibly difficult to enjoy music on the LCD's where resolved details are exciting to hear. Instead, I find them much preferred for the enveloping experience being in the mix provides.

I don't think I'm the only person who feels this way... There is a review by Asr which probably expresses it much better. I feel that this may be why classical listeners may generally prefer other phones...

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #3,792 of 6,388
My problem is the overall soundstage presentation being for me completely different than the HD-800. This leads to the experience sounding congested, more like an overall wave of music instead of individual performers, and just generally enveloping.

I also have a huge issue with trying to hear micro-details on the 3F's. I hear precise, nuanced details on both the 650's and 800's, where I hear a halo of added bass and treble on the 3F's. I like a warm presentation myself, and find the HD-800's stock treble to be at times intolerable, so it isn't a matter of anything being rolled off on the LCD's. What it is simply just not presenting the details with the same level of clarity. I can quite early pick out two guitar strings producing two individual tones, with different nuanced "vibrations" (for lack of a better term) on the HD's, where on the LCD's, I hear the leading edge of the guitar strings with nice clarity, but then just the resulting tones mushed together. I find it incredibly difficult to enjoy music on the LCD's where resolved details are exciting to hear. Instead, I find them much preferred for the enveloping experience being in the mix provides.

I don't think I'm the only person who feels this way... There is a review by Asr which probably expresses it much better. I feel that this may be why classical listeners may generally prefer other phones...

Not many headphones are going to get anywhere near the HD800 for soundstage. It is the soundstage king. The LCD-3 was never going to compete with that. Totally different headphone aimed at a different market.

It sounds to me like you are a detail person and that is great however LCD-3 will never satisfy you. I think there is two types of listeners. Detail and lush. I for instance go for lush. I have a warm DAC. Tube amp with lush warm tubes and the LCD-3. Detail followers will hate it. See not everyone looks for detail. I know I will be losing detail and it doesn't worry me one bit. I like the treble to be there and importantly be rendered sweetly. A nice mid-range push and clean bass. Something I can listen to all day and never gets harsh.

If you are after detail and soundstage I think the LCD-X will be better suited. Being into detail you have plenty of options. There is not a lot of options for us lush guys.

On the flip side I have listened to the HD800's many many times. They are everywhere. Every time I listen I can't get them off fast enough. Really can only tolerate them for 30 seconds or so.

Nobody is correct. Just different.

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #3,793 of 6,388
I think that mikoss based his comment on LCD 3F classical skills following pottkettleblack mood about soundstage narrowness.
The question is to know if Classical is your cup of tea. You are wright saying that tastes differ a lot and so headphones manufacturing.

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #3,794 of 6,388
My comment is in regards to all genres with the LCD-3f's. For the price, I understand that these are definitely in line with the Audeze house sound, and that these are warm headphones, but the lack of detail retrieval is appalling to me.

Tastes do differ from person to person, but there is a reason why resolving, pinpoint soundstage is something people appreciate with classical music. You can certainly enjoy the genre on these phones, they just don't excel at that presentation.

Fwiw, I'm a huge fan of a luscious, organic sounding presentation. I enjoy the sound of tubes and usually prefer it to the ss gear that I have heard. I'm looking for the Yin and Yang though, and I expect it for this price.

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #3,795 of 6,388
The lack of detail retrieval is grossly exaggerated.  These headphones just have a warm presentation.  Hell the 3F is not all that warm to me come to think of it.  They may be to gassy for classical music but for other music they work out great.  

Look to you chain if your not getting what you want out these headphones.  It's there it just has to be pulled out.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back