Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
May 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #2,686 of 6,385
For all you guys using JRiver as the media player, is there any feedback on whether the "Headphones" option in the Audio Output settings to introduce crossfeed is of any benefit with the LCD-3's. From my understanding this would entail some processing of the original source signal which may potentially degrade some aspect of the SQ (bass response perhaps?), yet perhaps make them less fatiguing (or so they say, anyway).

Was just curious what everyone was doing with regards to introducing crossfeed with their LCD-3's.

Dave

I haven't noticed any difference in loss of sound quality. Clarity, transparency, etc don't seem to suffer. Also don't be afraid to use JRiver to tweak the EQ. People get way too worked up about bit-perfection in playback. Sure you don't want it going through the Windows system audio manager but JRiver is a really good audio player. Transducers are the least ideal thing in the playback chain so a little DSP to help them out is not something to fear. Just try it and use it if you like it.

May 25, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #2,687 of 6,385
I do not know LCD3 on Darkstar performance
L3000.gif

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #2,688 of 6,385
So what do you think is the best aftermarket cable for the LCD-3s?
From previous readings I got the impression that maybe the most popular is the Q cable French Silk(?)

Does an aftermarket cable really worth the money in your opinion? What will I gain from it?

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #2,689 of 6,385
The Q French silk is a great cable for ergonomics,it's very flexible,feels like the cable isn't even there.As far as sound goes I don't really think there is a heck of a lot to be gained there.

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #2,690 of 6,385
From previous readings I got the impression that maybe the most popular is the Q cable French Silk(?)

Does an aftermarket cable really worth the money in your opinion? What will I gain from it?

With any aftermarket cable, you have to consider the form-factor and a lot of them add tons of weight and bulk. The Q Cable does not. It's actually lighter than the stock cable and does seem to offer a bit of audio improvement over stock. That said, everyone's hearing is different so how much improvement you will hear is highly subjective. 

I can tell you I hear an improvement and am quite happy with the Q Cable myself. 

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #2,691 of 6,385
Q cable Silk, very light and easy (and it's important for comfort), and for a few 100 usd it opens the all sound in a quiet noticable way! 100% recommand it!

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #2,692 of 6,385
The Q French silk is a great cable for ergonomics,it's very flexible,feels like the cable isn't even there.As far as sound goes I don't really think there is a heck of a lot to be gained there.

I couldn't disagree more regarding the sound improvement. It makes a very nice sonic upgrade.

Jun 2, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #2,693 of 6,385
I have a Toxic Cables Silver Widow and it is constructed nicely. It looks great and is very light. It took six months to get it and cost $500. If I had it to do over again I don't think I would do it but had to experiment to see if all the hype on cables had any merit. The phones sound great with the new cable but they sounded great with the stock cable too.

Jun 2, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #2,694 of 6,385

Q cable Silk, very light and easy (and it's important for comfort), and for a few 100 usd it opens the all sound in a quiet noticable way! 100% recommand it!

Oddly enough after few short weeks I found the Q-silk too harsh and subsequently settled on Moon Audio Black Dragon V2.
I have the newer non-fazored -3s....maybe that's why.

Jun 2, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #2,695 of 6,385
I was actually kind of hoping the hype was all that and that it would render what the new fazored LCD3s sound like (according to all the reviews and posts here). Now IMHO I would just save the money to apply towards amp/dac changes or newest phones [fazored etc.] as available. But saying that though the Silver Widow I have is classy looking and is very light and sounds great so can't say it's all negative really. I suppose it would sound great with the LCD3-F or the X as well.

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #2,696 of 6,385

Only yields are ergonomics. If you are looking for improved SQ don't 'waste' your money on cables.

Another vote for Q cables as the best. Though I did really like DHC Complement as well (the price it fetches ain't worth it)

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #2,698 of 6,385
Wow, thanks everyone for your input!
So my conclusion is that one mainly gains comfort (that I don't feel I'm lacking with the stock cable), and the sonic improvement can go from negligible to quite noticeable, but it can also lead to harshness.
I'll have to think whether it's worth the $240+ investment... anyway if I do get a cable it will be the Q.
BTW is it available anywhere for less $ than in Q Audio's website?

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #2,699 of 6,385

Oddly enough after few short weeks I found the Q-silk too harsh and subsequently settled on Moon Audio Black Dragon V2.
I have the newer non-fazored -3s....maybe that's why.

Do you mean the newer fazored 3-s (not non-fazored)?
What's in the rest of your chain? I also have the newer fazored ones and I don't want any more brightness, just an improvement in clarity if possible and in soundstage depth/imaging.

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #2,700 of 6,385
You'd have to ask Steve whether he sells his cable cheaper anywhere than his website!

Maybe the FS forums?

Btw I have a Q-cable. Not French silk. Bought originally for my LCD2r1 where it seemed to me they slightly sweetened and made more noticeable the top end. Remarkably light and flexible. Have never regretted buying. Moreover, they have 'scaled' happily with my LCD3F :)

Wow, thanks everyone for your input! ....
BTW is it available anywhere for less $ than in Q Audio's website?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back