Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
May 15, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #2,671 of 6,385
  There is no need to open anything.  You can feel the v shaped fazor slats just under the cloth that goes against your ear.  If you look closely you can probably see it through the cloth since it is quite pourous.  Non-Fazored feels like - - - -, fazored feels like ^-^-^.

Thanks. 

May 15, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #2,672 of 6,385
Wonder if the change is reversible? In other words, would they be able to simply remove the waveguide?  Because mine appears to be one of the last unazored versions (manufacturing date late November).  Because I just love the way it is now. Hopefully the driver won't die, but these have a record of crapping out. I'd hate to get a repaired version that screws up the treble.

May 15, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #2,673 of 6,385
Wonder if the change is reversible? In other words, would they be able to simply remove the waveguide?  Because mine appears to be one of the last unazored versions (manufacturing date late November).  Because I just love the way it is now. Hopefully the driver won't die, but these have a record of crapping out. I'd hate to get a repaired version that screws up the treble.

I'm with you all the way. My frequency graph is dated 11-6-2013 and I would not want the sound altered in any way.

May 15, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #2,674 of 6,385
I'm with you all the way. My frequency graph is dated 11-6-2013 and I would not want the sound altered in any way.

Mine are from around then too, not fazored.

Maybe if we have to send them in under warranty, we can request them not to be fazored?

May 15, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #2,675 of 6,385
  There is no need to open anything.  You can feel the v shaped fazor slats just under the cloth that goes against your ear.  If you look closely you can probably see it through the cloth since it is quite pourous.  Non-Fazored feels like - - - -, fazored feels like ^-^-^.

Ya I feel really dumb now.  I just realized you don't need to take off the outside cover.  
eek.gif
.  You can definately feel the differance though.  

No, I mean looking inside the inside of the leather earcup, under the fabric. 

Oh ya.  They are magnets by the way not pieces of plastic.  But ya yours are not fazored.  

May 15, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #2,676 of 6,385

Bingo...nice and easy. 
smile.gif

May 16, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #2,678 of 6,385
  Oh ya.  They are magnets by the way not pieces of plastic.  But ya yours are not fazored.  

Fazors are not magnets. They're waveguides.

May 22, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #2,680 of 6,385
I had the chance to compare three LCD3. Mar2012 231xxxx, Jul 2013 261xxxx (my own), and a latest fazored one Mar 2014 271xxxx.

Out of the three I can always pick out the mar2012 as it is clearly more dark and dull sounding. The other two are much closer sounding, with the fazor one having slightly more air and slightly rolled off bass that isn't really apparent in each and every tracks but rather on specific tracks and when you look for it. I guess if I own the early LCD3 I would be tempted to go for the favor, but I will keep mine as-is.

May 22, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #2,681 of 6,385
I had the chance to compare three LCD3. Mar2012 231xxxx, Jul 2013 261xxxx (my own), and a latest fazored one Mar 2014 271xxxx.

Out of the three I can always pick out the mar2012 as it is clearly more dark and dull sounding. The other two are much closer sounding, with the fazor one having slightly more air and slightly rolled off bass that isn't really apparent in each and every tracks but rather on specific tracks and when you look for it. I guess if I own the early LCD3 I would be tempted to go for the favor, but I will keep mine as-is.

Thanks, that's very helpful information.

May 22, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #2,682 of 6,385
I have the LCD-3 version just prior to fazor (late 2013) and glad that I do. :)

May 22, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #2,683 of 6,385
May 23, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #2,684 of 6,385
For all you guys using JRiver as the media player, is there any feedback on whether the "Headphones" option in the Audio Output settings to introduce crossfeed is of any benefit with the LCD-3's. From my understanding this would entail some processing of the original source signal which may potentially degrade some aspect of the SQ (bass response perhaps?), yet perhaps make them less fatiguing (or so they say, anyway).

Was just curious what everyone was doing with regards to introducing crossfeed with their LCD-3's.

Dave

May 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #2,685 of 6,385
^ Not JRiver but FWIW I've had cross-feed available for some years from Jan Meier's stagedac DAC and the Decware Taboo tube amp when run in "lucid" mode.

I haven't tested this specifically with my LCD-3F - you've just reminded me I should - but both DAC and amp contributed a noticeable sense of spaciousness with my LCD2r1. TBH, the effect was probably more pronounced with other phones like the Beyer T1 and Grado RS1. I think cross feed has less effect at the lower frequencies where the LCD2 excels.

Neither appeared to harm the resolving power of any of these phones for e.g. comparing amps or DACs.

I did find I preferred "lucid" mode for the LCD2, and that Meier's implementation (usually subtle) had noticeable benefits with some tracks. I can't say whether not using them was "fatiguing".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back