Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #2,716 of 6,385
I've deleted most, if not all, the recent cable discussion. When an off-topic debate starts up, please report it before it ends up covering many pages of the thread AND DO NOT REPLY TO THE POSTS, as if it goes on too long, we may end up just permanently locking the thread instead. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #2,717 of 6,385
ok...damn it...people get too worked up about this....every time :))

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #2,718 of 6,385
+1

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #2,719 of 6,385
Jun 4, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,720 of 6,385
Hi all, I'm new hear and new to head-fi (been deeply into Hifi for 3 decades). I just bought LCD-3 & AK240, with a balanced cable from Moon Audio, which all sounds very good. My question is, are the LCD-3's prone to failure, as reading here it would seem they are! is overdriving them the main culprit for failure?

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #2,721 of 6,385
I had the LCD-3s for more than a year now and they are in perfect condition.
It seems that the initial LCD-3s were more prone to failure. If you have a newer one you should be fine unless you're really unlucky :)

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #2,722 of 6,385
Hi all, I'm new hear and new to head-fi (been deeply into Hifi for 3 decades). I just bought LCD-3 & AK240, with a balanced cable from Moon Audio, which all sounds very good. My question is, are the LCD-3's prone to failure, as reading here it would seem they are! is overdriving them the main culprit for failure?

Very good question. It seems like half the people on this thread have sent them in for repairs. I used a pair of LCD-2's almost daily for two years with no problems and so far so good on my LCD-3's for 6 months.

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #2,723 of 6,385
I am hoping that there has been a flaw with the drivers that has been corrected,or we will all be in trouble once our warranties are up.

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #2,724 of 6,385
Very good question. It seems like half the people on this thread have sent them in for repairs. I used a pair of LCD-2's almost daily for two years with no problems and so far so good on my LCD-3's for 6 months.

Thanks for the replies. When I auditioned the LCD-3, I could not go past the full bodied sound on offer, compared to the lighter sounding LCD-2, LCD-X and some Grado's. The next thing I'd like to explore is a suitable desktop amp.

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #2,725 of 6,385
I just got the LCD3s 10 days ago. 

I must say I think its very thin in the bass. Could use some more slam. Does it get better when burned in, or is that just how they are? Probably got about 100 hours on them.

Chain is pc w/Jplay -> ayre qb9 -> Heed Canamp v3 -> LCD3.

I do feel that the bass lacks some slam. Especially bass drums. Could be burnin. Could be the dac (its not terribly bass heavy) or could be the amp not having the muscle. Or I guess it could be the cans.

Any advice on where to start?

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #2,726 of 6,385

I must say I think its very thin in the bass. Could use some more slam. Does it get better when burned in, or is that just how they are? Probably got about 100 hours on them.

I do feel that the bass lacks some slam. Especially bass drums. Could be burnin. Could be the dac (its not terribly bass heavy) or could be the amp not having the muscle. Or I guess it could be the cans.

They take a little more juice than other headphones. That could be the problem. But might also be a tighter more controlled bass than you like or are accustomed to. After 100 hours I doubt additional burn-in will take you from the thin bass you describe to the fat slam you desire.

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #2,727 of 6,385

They are never going to 'slam' something like the VModa M100 or Fostex TH-900. That said, the prior non fazored version has stronger bass due to it's generally darker signature. 

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #2,728 of 6,385

What did you come from before?  The LCD-2 is a bass cannon compared to the LCD-3.  The 3 has bass that's much cleaner sounding with more texture to it.  I could still get slammin bass out of the 3's though.

Sounds like you'd hate the HD800!

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #2,729 of 6,385

What did you come from before?  The LCD-2 is a bass cannon compared to the LCD-3.  The 3 has bass that's much cleaner sounding with more texture to it.  I could still get slammin bass out of the 3's though.

Sounds like you'd hate the HD800!

I did hate the HD800 :D

I did audition them for an hour once but no love there no. I do like if the bass is a bit physical.

I have a couple of Denon AH D5000, and B&W Diamond 800 speakers. The speakers bass reminds me a bit of the lcd3s as they are now. Only even they got more slam to them. :)

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #2,730 of 6,385

I did hate the HD800 :D

I did audition them for an hour once but no love there no. I do like if the bass is a bit physical.

I have a couple of Denon AH D5000, and B&W Diamond 800 speakers. The speakers bass reminds me a bit of the lcd3s as they are now. Only even they got more slam to them. :)

You should probably stick with closed headphones then. You just aren't going to get the same level off bass impact with an open headphone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back