Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #2,611 of 6,385
Edited my previous post from last night to be a little less rambly(I hope), now that I'm not sleep deprived.

Hoping that someone can confirm that I'm not crazy.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #2,612 of 6,385

I have no experience with the amp’s and dac’s you have tried. But when I considered a good amp to my LCD3 and HE 500 I come up with (research not listening) Auralic Taurus, HeadAmp GS-X mk2 and Audio GD Master 9. I and up buying the Master 9 and I love it. IMO it smooth, full, dynamic and has a really nice extended treble etc, etc.  I’m not saying you should take my word for it and ditch the ones you have at home now, just telling you the outcome of my research.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #2,613 of 6,385
  Edited my previous post from last night to be a little less rambly(I hope), now that I'm not sleep deprived.

Hoping that someone can confirm that I'm not crazy.

Having just listened to a few different combos with LCDs and with diff headphones at the NY meet, I had to get to a $10,000 rig to beat my Mojo & PWD II. I think the Mojo for the 3s is generally excepted as one of the best amps along with a 'good' DAC. Usually ones reads that the Gun fits the DAC component. 

Different strokes for diff folks, keep what you like, that which you think sounds best.......best advice anyone can give you i think.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,614 of 6,385
^^ I too have no experience with the M/G stack though I have used both Lyr and Bifrost and the Violectric V100. This said, I'm not surprised the Violectric stack has worked out for you, if only because Lake People have had longer to develop their products and their synergies.

FWIW, based on intensively following various Schiit threads, it's my impression both Mjolnir and Gungnir are well regarded in their own right, but not necessarily always together. There seem to be many who own and are happy with one or other, and some happy with both. Of course, as you noted, different ears factor into this.

As well - but I could be entirely wrong - I think Mjo may be a more 'finished' product in the sense its technology is carried over to the soon-to-arrive Rag. Gungnir may be more transitional, a (considerable) refinement of the Bifrost rather than an anticipation of the Yggdrasil. Against this, purrin and friends rate Gungnir highly for its accurate tonality (but this is different from what you found, at least with Mjo in the frame) and good gradations of dynamics.

From my reading of the V800, it is detailed and transparent but maybe not as much as DACs that have come after, such as the Gungnir. Could the G be digging too much detail?

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #2,615 of 6,385
Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place as I have just arrived on these forums, one thing is for sure, I have just bought a pair of lcd-3's and I really do appreciate them.
I guess my main question is about the cable, should I consider and upgrade and what are the best options out there. I'm not sure if there are any other significant upgrades I could make to my system now.

Audeze lcd-3
Sony scd-777es
Chord dac64
Lehmann audio black cube linear
Chord signature interconnects
Kimber powerchord mains cables

Thanks for any advice.

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #2,616 of 6,385
Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place as I have just arrived on these forums, one thing is for sure, I have just bought a pair of lcd-3's and I really do appreciate them.
I guess my main question is about the cable, should I consider and upgrade and what are the best options out there. I'm not sure if there are any other significant upgrades I could make to my system now.

Audeze lcd-3
Sony scd-777es
Chord dac64

Thanks for any advice.

I don't know about other folks in this forum, but I've had my love affair with high-end cables come and go. I went from modding with the most exotic blends of gold, silver & copper to accepting that cables are really about a couple of things:

1) Functionality (Connections, Adapters, Etc)
2) Looks (Let's be honest, DHC Cables are beautiful)
3) Ergonomics (Weight, Portability, etc)

With this in mind, I always, ALWAYS recommend working with Steve from Q-Audio. His cables are beautiful, light, and his customer service is amazing. Pete at DHC is also amazing. One of the few innovators in the industry (with his robust adapter systems, etc). If you're especially boutique, Stefan Audio Art is another cable company I have a bit of experience with. Chunky, yes, but still beautiful and ergonomic. 

If you're looking for great budget cables with all these attributes, I'd say to look at BTG-Audio and HPLAudio. Talk to Chris from HPL. He's a great guy and supplies a lot of my cable/adapter needs at a  reasonable price and great quality.

Just depends on what you hold most important in your cable choice. Maybe let us know what you're looking for specifically, and we can help you hone your list down.

Kojaku

Apr 25, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #2,617 of 6,385
Thanks for the advice. Don't tell my wife this but I'm so pleased with these headphones i think i would like two or even three different cables to have in the locker so i can change around as the mood takes me. They all look beautifully made which is a bonus.
I think i might give my headphones a good 300-500 hours run time and then start with the q audio cables then possibly look at the stefan audio cables. They are both within my budget.

Thanks for your help.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #2,618 of 6,385

May 6, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #2,619 of 6,385

Audeze lcd-3
Sony scd-777es
Chord dac64

Thanks for any advice.

Hi,

I recently tried running my 3's straight from the XLR output's of my AMR DP-777 DAC (using the internal volume control)

Trevor from Norne Audio (used to be called Norse) made me a special cable that is Female XLR -> mini XLR (for the 3's)

It sounds great - I used to have a DNA Stratus amp and sold it in favour of this setup,  The Stratus is a great amp and I wasn't expecting to sell it!  I have also heard a lot of DAC / AMP combo's with the 3's (think Burson, Cavalli High end Luxman etc) - this is my favourite sound with the 3's so far.

I would recommend anyone with a preamp built into their DAC try this out.  

Cheers,

gav.

May 8, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #2,621 of 6,385
May 8, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #2,622 of 6,385
^^ I too have no experience with the M/G stack though I have used both Lyr and Bifrost and the Violectric V100. This said, I'm not surprised the Violectric stack has worked out for you, if only because Lake People have had longer to develop their products and their synergies.

FWIW, based on intensively following various Schiit threads, it's my impression both Mjolnir and Gungnir are well regarded in their own right, but not necessarily always together. There seem to be many who own and are happy with one or other, and some happy with both. Of course, as you noted, different ears factor into this.

As well - but I could be entirely wrong - I think Mjo may be a more 'finished' product in the sense its technology is carried over to the soon-to-arrive Rag. Gungnir may be more transitional, a (considerable) refinement of the Bifrost rather than an anticipation of the Yggdrasil. Against this, purrin and friends rate Gungnir highly for its accurate tonality (but this is different from what you found, at least with Mjo in the frame) and good gradations of dynamics.

From my reading of the V800, it is detailed and transparent but maybe not as much as DACs that have come after, such as the Gungnir. Could the G be digging too much detail?

My M/G sound awesome together with my LCD3. Totally completely happy with my setup. Just had the USB upgrade installed so I am in audio nirvana. Yep there is likely much better out there for a price but I choose to just listen and be happy. I just did twin turbos and tires on my truck so what I have is gonna have to do. Not exactly slumming either. One could do much worse than a M/G stack with LCD3s. Just sayin'.

May 8, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #2,623 of 6,385
^ Good to hear :beerchug:

I came so close to getting the MG stack, but held off because of talk about the Rag and Ygg - especially the Ygg... :tongue_smile:

May 8, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #2,624 of 6,385
^ Good to hear
beerchug.gif

I came so close to getting the MG stack, but held off because of talk about the Rag and Ygg - especially the Ygg...
tongue_smile.gif

The Ygg will probably be the only DAC I'd consider upgrading to... I have the M/G (USB Gen 2) combo and it's amazing. 

May 9, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #2,625 of 6,385
So the current LCD-3 is 110 ohms and adds something called fazor technology which is supposed to improve sound stage.

110 ohm should help with getting more power to the drivers with most amps, is this correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back