Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #2,311 of 6,385
  My experience is the Soloist is a little laid back, GS-X just right and the Mjolnir a little forward.  A lot of which you prefer comes down to source and preference.  All three are very clean and clear though.  No mud, no veil to be found.

Fourth row, second row and front row respectively, right Regis ?
wink.gif
. I can see you are in bliss with the LCD 3 and the PWD/GSX combo.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #2,314 of 6,385
Have never owned the Taurus, but only demo'd it twice with the 3, and in my opinion it is a poor match.

Interesting, I heard the LCD-3 from that pairing and thought it was wonderful (Taurus MKII, if that makes any difference, apparently Auralic turned their attention more to its performance with planars than the MKI).

Project86, whose Taurus MKII review should be up on Innerfidelity any time now was also enthused about the pairing from his comments in the Auralic owners thread.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #2,315 of 6,385
Now that I've finally decided on the GS-X mk2 amp (And that's final - putting an order in this coming month) I would like to ask you people a question, I need a DAC with the following requirements: Sabre 9018 chip, Balanced, DSD, DXD - No treble harshness! everything else should be perfect and I'm thinking $2,000 tops

Keep em rolling, I got the LCD-3 because of the high rave about them, and I'm not disappointed (and good for those who prefer the LCD-X). So the amp, I'm betting I'll be very happy with it... and now I need a DAC that I might be getting before the amp (I mean while I wait).

Thanks people :D

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #2,316 of 6,385
  Now that I've finally decided on the GS-X mk2 amp (And that's final - putting an order in this coming month) I would like to ask you people a question, I need a DAC with the following requirements: Sabre 9018 chip, Balanced, DSD, DXD - No treble harshness! everything else should be perfect and I'm thinking $2,000 tops

Keep em rolling, I got the LCD-3 because of the high rave about them, and I'm not disappointed (and good for those who prefer the LCD-X). So the amp, I'm betting I'll be very happy with it... and now I need a DAC that I might be getting before the amp (I mean while I wait).

Yulong DA8 or Matrix X-Sabre seem to both fit the bill. I've used both (but recently went to DA8 permanently for the built-in headphone amp) and have a GS-X mk2 on order as well :D

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #2,317 of 6,385

If you're not looking for harshness you should not be considering the Sabre :) I find it a bit harsh

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #2,318 of 6,385
You shouldn't be in a rush to find a DAC. You have several months (atleast 6) to wait after all... By that time there probably will be something else very interesting up and coming.

Check out the Vega. Seems like a Sabre based DAC that doesn't suffer from treble hardiness as much as your typical Sabre DAC. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #2,319 of 6,385
  You shouldn't be in a rush to find a DAC. You have several months (atleast 6) to wait after all... By that time there probably will be something else very interesting up and coming.

Check out the Vega. Seems like a Sabre based DAC that doesn't suffer from treble hardiness as much as your typical Sabre DAC. 

Vega is a little bit on the pricey side, and justin told me it would take about 3-4 months for the order atm,
but if you're saying ATLEAST 6 months, that is a bit long...
But I guess that it's worth waiting for!

Anything you know that will be coming up with DSD and DXD support that should be good? :)

If you're not looking for harshness you should not be considering the Sabre :) I find it a bit harsh

Ok, so lets say not the sabre, but with everything else included, what would you suggest?

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #2,320 of 6,385

Vega is a little bit on the pricey side, and justin told me it would take about 3-4 months for the order atm,
but if you're saying ATLEAST 6 months, that is a bit long...
But I guess that it's worth waiting for!

Anything you know that will be coming up with DSD and DXD support that should be good? :)

Ok, so lets say not the sabre, but with everything else included, what would you suggest?

Then I would take Justin's word over mine. He might have found a way to speed up the building process. Most GS-X owners have been waiting at least six months. Because Justin has such a small operation, there are bound to be some hiccups along the way. 

Other DACs that you should consider are the PWD MKII, NAD M51, AGD M7, Ayre QB-9, maybe the new Yggdrasil. None of which are sabre based and some don't do DSD. Depending on your budget, you might be looking at only a handful of DACs that meet your criteria. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #2,321 of 6,385
Last GS-X mk2 batch shipped late June, early July... second batch hasn't shipped.  You do the math :p

Sabre and no harshness, really more of a upper mid problem than treble, under $2000 will be a short list.

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #2,323 of 6,385
  Last GS-X mk2 batch shipped late June, early July... second batch hasn't shipped.  You do the math :p

Sabre and no harshness, really more of a upper mid problem than treble, under $2000 will be a short list.

What would that short list be? X-Sabre and Yulong DA8? I've heard good things about both, is it good enough to start me out maybe second to last DAC, I'm not that picky about DACs and Amps, but specs should be promising and both on paper gave me a slight wow (SNR/THD+N/Features/etc...) any other good choices?

Then I would take Justin's word over mine. He might have found a way to speed up the building process. Most GS-X owners have been waiting at least six months. Because Justin has such a small operation, there are bound to be some hiccups along the way. 

Other DACs that you should consider are the PWD MKII, NAD M51, AGD M7, Ayre QB-9, maybe the new Yggdrasil. None of which are sabre based and some don't do DSD. Depending on your budget, you might be looking at only a handful of DACs that meet your criteria. 

I've heard a lot of raving going on regarding the PWD MKII, but sadly it only supports PCM up to 192KHz... QB-9 supports DSD64 only and specs don't look that very promising, the other two I'm not sure about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back