Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #5,536 of 6,385
Anybody use the LCD-3 with Astell and Kern DAPS and in particular with the SP2000? If so what are your impression? Can a DAP sufficiently drive them? My LCD-2 sounds great on the SP2000 and even better going through my system but was looking to move upline with the LCD-3. Will there be any appreciable sound differences between the 2 and 3?

Thanks
While I don't own and A & K, I've used the LCD3 with my Fiio X7 mkII with the THX amp module and it was sufficiently driven through the 4.4 mm balanced output.

I've also owned both the LCD2 Fazor (recently sold) and the LCD3 and I think the LCD 3 is more transparent, refined and has a clearer separation of instruments. The latter being the biggest difference between the two especially with a good DAC/AMP.

Dec 11, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #5,537 of 6,385
Anybody use the LCD-3 with Astell and Kern DAPS and in particular with the SP2000? If so what are your impression? Can a DAP sufficiently drive them? My LCD-2 sounds great on the SP2000 and even better going through my system but was looking to move upline with the LCD-3. Will there be any appreciable sound differences between the 2 and 3?

Thanks
I was using my LCD 3 with a DX200 BAL for a few months a couple years ago. Would never do something like that again, just a bad idea. LCD 3 is a significant step up from LCD 2 imo

Dec 13, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #5,538 of 6,385
I was using my LCD 3 with a DX200 BAL for a few months a couple years ago. Would never do something like that again, just a bad idea. LCD 3 is a significant step up from LCD 2 imo

Thanks for your reply.

So are you saying you would never pair the LCD-3 with a DAP again? Why? You found there was no synergy with the Ibasso or it was under-powered?

Dec 13, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #5,540 of 6,385
Interesting. Did you get a chance to use Amp8 which is somewhat high powered and balanced? Currently, I have the LCD-2 and it runs fine on my DAP but want to move up in the LCD line. The LCD-3 would primarily get paired with my desktop but wouldn't mine using it with my DAP on occasions.

Thanks for your feedback!

Dec 13, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #5,541 of 6,385
Interesting. Did you get a chance to use Amp8 which is somewhat high powered and balanced? Currently, I have the LCD-2 and it runs fine on my DAP but want to move up in the LCD line. The LCD-3 would primarily get paired with my desktop but wouldn't mine using it with my DAP on occasions.

Thanks for your feedback!
It'll be fine but then I got a desktop dac + amp and realized that the sound quality difference is miles better than a DAP.

I was going for a transportable route with LCD 3 + DAP. It sounds fine. Then I switched to a CMA600i and realized that sound quality difference between a DAP and a desktop DAC + AMP is night and day.

Dec 13, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #5,542 of 6,385
It'll be fine but then I got a desktop dac + amp and realized that the sound quality difference is miles better than a DAP.

I was going for a transportable route with LCD 3 + DAP. It sounds fine. Then I switched to a CMA600i and realized that sound quality difference between a DAP and a desktop DAC + AMP is night and day.

Thanks so much

Dec 21, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #5,543 of 6,385

Thanks
I am using LCD-3 with Kann Cube. I never felt it underpowered. With the original Kann yes, sometimes a little bit, but not with the Cube. That combo sounds great.
For me it always had to be portable, so it does not matter how much a desktop setup sounds better if I can not carry it up and down and being pinned to it's 2 meter radius.
I have not spent much time with the LCD-2 while auditioning, the LCD-3 was giving so much better impression in every aspect immediately. I thought it did worth the price difference for me. I do not know how much it was because of the old LCD-2 in the shop with worn down pads or the Kann capabilities.
With the LCD-4 comparison it was a bit more difficult, probably because that was already over my budget pain level, and finally I have decided that it does not sound that much better that it worth for me. Today it might be different, taste is changing with time and pocket.
You can find numerous detailed comparisons between LCD-2 and -3, I went through only the first 200 entries of this thread and the ones from 2018 to 2019.

Dec 21, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #5,544 of 6,385
I have the LCD-2C and I'm thinking of getting the LCD-3 and not buying anymore headphones...

The question is does the 2C do anything better than the LCD-3? I could possibly trade my 2C in on the LCD-3 since I do a lot of business with the shop. Just wondering if I should keep the 2C. Thanks.

All the links in the first post of the thread to head-fi posts are broken btw

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #5,545 of 6,385

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #5,547 of 6,385
Thanks. Why are you buying the LCD-2C if you already have the LCD-3?

Dec 27, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #5,548 of 6,385
Thanks. Why are you buying the LCD-2C if you already have the LCD-3?

Because Im curios about the difference in sound (love comparing headphones) and I dont have a place near me to audition headphones =). Besides I got the 2c for a price that Im confident I will get when I sell them on. Now to my initial comparison impressions:

In short: get the LCD3 =). The LCD2C doesnt do anything better than the 3 imo, and I dont think it should considering the difference in price.

1. The most apparent difference between the two is the clarity of the LCD3 vs the 2C. Its immediately appartent how much better the LCD3 is here. When coming from the 2C to the 3 its like filling your lungs with air after being under water for more than a comfortable time. The 3 is more detailed across all freqencys. The 3 is brighter up top, it feels like the 2C is missing some needed energy in the treble.

2. Imaging is noticably better with the 3. It leaves more air around the instruments, making it easier to pick them out. They are given their own space.

3. The 3 has better/more natural decay than the 2C. For example, a drum. After hitting a drum the sound of the note doesnt stop right away, you hear the decay of the note when the sound bounces off of objects it hits as well resonance in the instrument itself. The 3 does this better than the 2C.

4. The 3 hits harder in the bass. The bass is better detailed, goes lower and hits harder.

5. The midrange has better presence on the 3. I feel that vocals are more intimate and more detailed with the 3.

Im not a proffesional in any way, and I havent heard the 2C for more than a couple of hours. But for me there is no competition here. Only reasons I would get the 2C before the 3 are if my funds didnt allow the 3 or if I was extremely sensitive to bright(er) treble, I consider myself fairly sensitive to too energetic treble but dont think the 3 has this at all. But I guess there are people who DOES think that, the 2C would be worth auditioning for those people. The 2C is cosy, no such thing as listening fatigue here.
The 2C can be had for substantially less than the 3. If the 3 is a stretch I think most people would get enjoyment out of the 2C, its not a bad hp in any way.

If anyone is interested in a used 2C it will go up in the classifieds soon =).

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #5,549 of 6,385
Thanks a lot this is great info. I am mostly a Sennheiser guy so I am sensitive to hot treble, but I can EQ these.

Dec 31, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #5,550 of 6,385
No problem :). But that (above) being said, I think the LCD2C is fantastic value for money, and a perfect can for people wanting to take the next step from entry level, considering its not that difficult to find a mint pair for around $450-$500.

As usual when comparing stuff you have to take into consideration that that is not how one listen to music. If I got rid of my LCD3 and kept the 2 I am sure I would be quite satisfied :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back