Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #4,786 of 6,385
D553F63F-2254-44B4-BF40-567E2D453C47.png

A0976974-3D76-4013-B0BE-F60E9251E61E.png

Check how bad low extension was in 2014 and 2015 models, the first revision of Fazor. The red graphic is from a LCD-2 I owned previously.

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #4,787 of 6,385
Whoa. That's nuts. I could definitely see the 3 getting some harsh responses at the time the fazor was introduced if that's what people were hearing after it's pre-fazor sound.

Jan 15, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #4,792 of 6,385
Got my first "jump" today when a song kicked in and it was so punchy I got surprised. Volume wasn't high, the drums just sounded SO visceral I got thrown off guard.

That's why I fell in love with Audeze. Some people listen for guitars, some to voices. For me, if the drums aren't hitting me in the chest, the rest of the music just sounds weak.

Jan 15, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #4,793 of 6,385
My drivers were replaced in mid 2015 and my low end FR graph shows ruler flat. Definitely never detected a lack of bass.

Audeze has responded to my repair request and indicated they would be covered under warranty. I was concerned because the headphones are 5 years old but the drivers were replaced, under warranty, less than 3 years ago. I know their policy is to extend the warranty for an additional 3 years when the drivers are replaced, but I'm a skeptic when it comes to matters like these. I've got to admit I am blown away by the great Audeze customer service.

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #4,796 of 6,385
How significantly would you guys say the LCD-3 responds to amping? I've heard that it's minimal.

I listened to them out of a Magni 2 and a Mjolnir 1 and I have to say I actually very slightly preferred the sound out of the Magni 2, believe it or not. I have a Valhalla 2 for my HD800’s and the LCD-3’s are currently my second pair for contrast. The visceral, holographic presentation of drums on the LCD-3 is just mindblowing and unlike anything else, but drums aren’t usually what I focus when I’m listening to music and I’m tempted to trade them back down for a pair of Revision 2’s because, well, if I’m not listening to the HD800’s it’s probably because I want to listen to stuff like crappy old nu–metal from when I was in high school for fun while I veg out, and I think the Revision 2’s may have sounded “better” (as in “more fun,” ignoring resolution, imaging, soundstage, and all that—but I have my HD800’s for those needs) off the Magni than the 3’s do. I’m guessing that the soundstage improvements and better instrument separation itself may actually be what makes listening to crappy music less enjoyable, because packing the instruments into more of a ‘wall of sound’ is how that kind of music is made to be listened to.

I have a really limited budget now that I’ve bought the 3’s, though… what’s the likelihood I can find someone round these parts willing to loan me an amp they think works well for it so I can try it out for a few days at least before I decide to let it go? I just borrowed an LCD–X from someone here and can proudly report that I got it back to them and didn’t steal it, and have a small handful of sales here and on Reddit now (I resold the Mjolnir 1 for $350, LCD2.2 for $500, etc).

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #4,797 of 6,385
Hi guys,
I had LCD-3 old version no fazor,.....one year ago, it was good sound, but I changed it for LCD-X, and now is much better...lot of energy, lot of details,...beter bass....My amp is VIOLECTRIC HPA V281, balanced cable AUDEZE BLUE PREMIUM.
Now I am satisfied absolutely.......

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #4,798 of 6,385
How significantly would you guys say the LCD-3 responds to amping? I've heard that it's minimal.

I listened to them out of a Magni 2 and a Mjolnir 1 and I have to say I actually very slightly preferred the sound out of the Magni 2, believe it or not. I have a Valhalla 2 for my HD800’s and the LCD-3’s are currently my second pair for contrast. The visceral, holographic presentation of drums on the LCD-3 is just mindblowing and unlike anything else, but drums aren’t usually what I focus when I’m listening to music and I’m tempted to trade them back down for a pair of Revision 2’s because, well, if I’m not listening to the HD800’s it’s probably because I want to listen to stuff like crappy old nu–metal from when I was in high school for fun while I veg out, and I think the Revision 2’s may have sounded “better” (as in “more fun,” ignoring resolution, imaging, soundstage, and all that—but I have my HD800’s for those needs) off the Magni than the 3’s do. I’m guessing that the soundstage improvements and better instrument separation itself may actually be what makes listening to crappy music less enjoyable, because packing the instruments into more of a ‘wall of sound’ is how that kind of music is made to be listened to.

I have a really limited budget now that I’ve bought the 3’s, though… what’s the likelihood I can find someone round these parts willing to loan me an amp they think works well for it before I let it go? I just borrowed an LCD–X from someone here and can proudly report that I got it back to them and didn’t steal it, and have a handful of sales on Reddit now (I resold the Mjolnir 1 for $350, I sold an LCD-2.2 on Reddit for $500, etc).

Pretty significantly. The 3 is high impedance to begin with, and I definitely noticed a change in going from the Deckard to the CMA400i. The X is a lot easier to drive and will go full-tilt from most anything, but the 3 needs juice to wake up.

Also, I think the visceral presentation of drums is pretty dang important in nu-metal. Fire up a Deftones or Korn album and the rhythm section is a significant part of the puzzle.

Jan 19, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #4,799 of 6,385
Anyone in Hong Kong want to buy my LCD3? Original model remade by Audeze with fazors and 2017 drivers, so in some ways the best of all worlds.
Very good condition. Travel box and cables including balanced cable from ALO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back