Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #4,817 of 6,385
The fazor evened out the sound signature, giving the treble more presence and clarity instead of having a bit of a mask over it. To some, the pre-fazor sounds better because they prefer how the bass was more center-stage, as it were, but personally I think the latest versions all sound better than the old stuff. More air, bigger soundstage (not HD800 big, obviously), just more coherent and even from top to bottom. The bass will sound the same, possibly a bit more responsive, but there will seem to be less of it since the high end is more responsive.

Comparing the 2 to the 3 is a little tricky. They're obviously brothers, with the 2 just sounding "smaller" than the 3 overall. It's not as big and full, not as clear, not as lush, but these are comparatives only, because the LCD-2 is still a marvelous headphone.

Jan 23, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #4,818 of 6,385
My take: as someone who previously owned the HD800 and LCD-2, the LCD-3 by itself just may be my endgame. It combines a LOT of what I love about both cans, with very very little compromise. I love the pre-fazor LCD-2's bass emphasis, but it makes it a little bit of a one-trick pony whereas I could easily see the LCD-3 being the only pair I use forever.

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #4,819 of 6,385
I do not own this.

Sorry got you mixed up with nrbatist.

Still, the LCDXC is the end game for many folks. The reason many folks don't like it, is it needs a really high-end neutral DAC and a solid SS amp to sound its best. Some who have compared it say it comes closest to the LCD4 tonal balance. It is definitely worth building a system around, if you are looking for improved soundstage with the usual LCD mids and bass.

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #4,820 of 6,385
Sorry got you mixed up with nrbatist.

Still, the LCDXC is the end game for many folks. The reason many folks don't like it, is it needs a really high-end neutral DAC and a solid SS amp to sound its best. Some who have compared it say it comes closest to the LCD4 tonal balance. It is definitely worth building a system around, if you are looking for improved soundstage with the usual LCD mids and bass.

I admit that I haven't heard the 4 but if the 4 sounds like the XC then I want nothing to do with it. That's a really scary comparison to me.

Jan 23, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #4,821 of 6,385
I admit that I haven't heard the 4 but if the 4 sounds like the XC then I want nothing to do with it. That's a really scary comparison to me.

Well I read it on the LCDXC thread, but it only applies to the 2016 version and later. Don't worry, I still prefer the LCD3, but while it's been in the shop, I have become acclimated to the increased resolution of my LCDXC. I am grateful the newest LCD3 drivers are brighter than the 2014 version, because I got used to hearing cymbals again.

Jan 23, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #4,822 of 6,385
Well I read it on the LCDXC thread, but it only applies to the 2016 version and later. Don't worry, I still prefer the LCD3, but while it's been in the shop, I have become acclimated to the increased resolution of my LCDXC. I am grateful the newest LCD3 drivers are brighter than the 2014 version, because I got used to hearing cymbals again.

Hm. Maybe I need to hear the newer XC then. Nowhere nearby has 'em, it's been a few years.

EDIT: Thought right now the TH-X00 and Nightowl are my picks for a closed-back complement to the 3. Trying to decide which.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #4,823 of 6,385
I do not own this.

Anybody care to describe the LCD 2.2 fazor and the LCD 3
Does the bass sound the same on LCD2 pre fazor and fazor...like just more air to the fazor ?

If you love the sound signature of your HD800, you do not want the LCD 2 fazor or non-fazor. Neither of them resolve treble well or even close to how the HD800 does it. The LCD2.2Cs are seriously dark and at first listen seem like they're missing treble, so they take some getting used to. As for bass, the LCD2.2C's sound like they're a few dB's up on the LCD 2 fazors and are super enjoyable on tracks featuring bass.

I had my 2.2C drivers switched out for 2016 fazors when they crapped out and they're worlds apart. The LCD 2 fazors are Audeze's attempt to balance out the sound, while trying not to surpass the LCD X and 3s. There is no longer as much bass slam and subterranean bass, and treble now exists. However, while treble exists, in comparison to the LCD 3s, the LCD2 2016 Fazors treble is noticeably inferior and lacking in fine resolution. They're perfectly decent on their own, of course.

The current LCD 3s are balanced, as it is with the 'new' Audeze balanced house sound, but with some emphasis on resolution of the mids. There's enough treble region detail to keep most people happy and the bass is there when needed - as in the bass is never excessive and is not lean either.

The LCD 4s are quite similar to the LCD 3s in overall signature but are noticeably more refined, resolving and clear.

Jan 24, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #4,824 of 6,385
The only way you could think the LCD-2 is "missing treble" is if you think a headphone needs an unnatural treble spike.

Said it before and I'll say it again, it's really weird that in "audiophile" circles it's somehow considered good for headphones to be anemic in the bass and crank the treble to painful levels but having a bass boost is slagged on.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #4,826 of 6,385
Exactly. I constantly see people raving about this or that headphone having "tight and controlled" bass when the reality is that it's just bass light. Meanwhile, headphones with these horrible treble boosts get raved about for "accuracy." It's maddening.

I'm not a basshead, but I do think bass is necessary to fill in the spectrum, and it's gotta be "full," not just quietly sitting in the background. Hence I adore Audeze.

Jan 24, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #4,827 of 6,385
Think I will save for a little bit...then look for a used LCD 2.2 or preferably an LCD 3

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #4,829 of 6,385
No need to spend $1000. The Periodic Audio Be are 95% as good as the Campfire Vega for only $300.

I mean the IT03 is a $250 IEM that I think sounds AMAZING. At this point, though, I'm looking to make a big ol' upgrade, y'know? If I'm getting something new, I might as well leap up a tier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back