Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #2,971 of 6,388
Mine has the exact same problem and it has been nagging at me but not enough to make me do anything about it. I have thought about taking it apart and trying to just bend a tab to make it even. Looking at it, I wouldn't be surprised it those tabs were bent by hand in the first place by the assembler (which would explain why so many odd pairs.)

I have the same issue. Notice the angle on the 2nd and 3rd photo is what causing the crooked headphone. 

Aug 29, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #2,972 of 6,388
Mine has the exact same problem and it has been nagging at me but not enough to make me do anything about it. I have thought about taking it apart and trying to just bend a tab to make it even. Looking at it, I wouldn't be surprised it those tabs were bent by hand in the first place by the assembler (which would explain why so many odd pairs.)

I'm also very tempted to bend them myself. I'm guessing from looking at photos from their website, the left side is the correct angle.

Aug 30, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #2,973 of 6,388
I've already shipped mine to Audeze directly via their support.

Guys, it's $2,000 headphone.... It has to be near-perfect.  Us consumers should state the problem and give the the manufacturer a chance to acknowledge and fix it.  It might lead to more strict QC or perhaps a new design for yolk that can be much more durable.  I'm in no-way to bash Audeze in any way, they've been really helpful to me so far.  People should definitely consider contacting them if you are facing similar issue.

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #2,974 of 6,388
+1 to DC5Zilla. 

If you paid $50 for a set of cans and they had to be tweaked a little bit to be aligned then no big deal. However, plunk down $2K for a "reference" headphone and you shouldn't have to worry about it coming to you in any state other than perfect. If it's otherwise then back it should go. If you bought a Lambo/Porsche/Ferrari and it pulled to the left when the dealer delivered it, I'm sure all of us would send it back until the alignment was completely dialed-in. 

Having run manufacturing lines in my earlier days this type of defect is very easy to screen for - just put them on a stand (as you all have done) and see if they sit evenly. But even before they're assembled the metal tab should be checked after it is bent - just put it in a jig and measure the angles - easy to do. And finally given that the LCD-3's ship in a hard travel case they're not going to get tweaked in transit. 

Hold the line on QC. Just because they're hand-made doesn't mean they shouldn't come to you in the "near-perfect" state. And finally Audeze has always been good to their word (if not better) in my dealings with them, so don't hesitate to ask them for what you need to be totally happy with their awesome products. 

Happy listening and have a great Labor Day weekend 

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #2,975 of 6,388
  +1 to DC5Zilla. 

If you paid $50 for a set of cans and they had to be tweaked a little bit to be aligned then no big deal. However, plunk down $2K for a "reference" headphone and you shouldn't have to worry about it coming to you in any state other than perfect. If it's otherwise then back it should go. If you bought a Lambo/Porsche/Ferrari and it pulled to the left when the dealer delivered it, I'm sure all of us would send it back until the alignment was completely dialed-in. 

Having run manufacturing lines in my earlier days this type of defect is very easy to screen for - just put them on a stand (as you all have done) and see if they sit evenly. But even before they're assembled the metal tab should be checked after it is bent - just put it in a jig and measure the angles - easy to do. And finally given that the LCD-3's ship in a hard travel case they're not going to get tweaked in transit. 

Hold the line on QC. Just because they're hand-made doesn't mean they shouldn't come to you in the "near-perfect" state. And finally Audeze has always been good to their word (if not better) in my dealings with them, so don't hesitate to ask them for what you need to be totally happy with their awesome products. 

Happy listening and have a great Labor Day weekend 

I felt that way when I took the USD2000+ (we pay a bit more here) headphone out of the box. First thing I notice is this expensive piece of equipment leather stitching is the same quality seen from 6th grade home economic class. 

Now I notice it crooked.... 

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #2,976 of 6,388
I have the same issue. Notice the angle on the 2nd and 3rd photo is what causing the crooked headphone. 

In zooming in on the third photo, it appears that the screw with star locknut that attaches the black earpod bracket to the chrome adjuster rod is not seated. Check that it is fully screwed in, as slop here will cause the assembly to appear unbalanced. Had the same problem on my LCDs.

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #2,978 of 6,388
In zooming in on the third photo, it appears that the screw with star locknut that attaches the black earpod bracket to the chrome adjuster rod is not seated. Check that it is fully screwed in, as slop here will cause the assembly to appear unbalanced. Had the same problem on my LCDs.

Yes I see that also. Screwing it in tightly helps a bit but still the angle is wrong (which you can still see in the picture by looking at the angle of the metal piece itself in comparison to the other side)

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #2,979 of 6,388
There was. Locked in 2012 so no info related to fazor models if that makes a difference. There continues to be discussion from time to time in the specific LCD threads, such as this one. Try 'search this thread'.

I'm just new to the LCD 3.....is there a cable thread for this headphone?

Sep 1, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #2,980 of 6,388
Sep 1, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #2,981 of 6,388
Sep 4, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #2,982 of 6,388
  I've already shipped mine to Audeze directly via their support.

Guys, it's $2,000 headphone.... It has to be near-perfect.  Us consumers should state the problem and give the the manufacturer a chance to acknowledge and fix it.  It might lead to more strict QC or perhaps a new design for yolk that can be much more durable.  I'm in no-way to bash Audeze in any way, they've been really helpful to me so far.  People should definitely consider contacting them if you are facing similar issue.

Thanks for the head's up.I requested mine be checked for this issue prior to shipping, not by Audeze, by the store I have purchased them from.

Sep 5, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #2,983 of 6,388
I just received LCD-2s with the same problem described here. I realize this is the LCD-3 thread, but I figured you'd be interested in knowing that it's not just an LCD-3 problem.

I've already contacted Audeze about it.

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #2,984 of 6,388
I'm little surprised there are more case regarding this issue.  I don't know why not many people have brought it up till now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back