Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #2,446 of 6,385
Well, based on all the reading I've done (and, believe me I've done plenty) I'd say you have absolutely nailed the general consensus. I have waffled back and forth between the X and the 3 (currently own LCD 2, rev. 2) and I finally settled on the X which will be here tomorrow. I finally decided against the 3 but it was REALLY close. I believe the 3's are possibly due for an "update" so I'm hedging my bets. Now, I really do like my 2's quite a bit so I'm anxious to do the head to head comparison to draw my own conclusions. My main set up is the Mjolnir/Gungnir stack and the Mjolnir allows two headphones to be connected at the same time so that will facilitate switching back and forth while listening to the same music. Obviously I'm anxious to see how the real life comparison goes!

I also happen to think that a lot of people suffer from improperly amping their LCD-3s. I think they really need 1) a LOT of current (not pure voltage swing) and 2) a NEUTRAL audio chain. I lean toward the musical because I went for a completely neutral setup when I had HD800s and was left wanting a bit more toe-tapping. The LCD-3 fed correctly is more appealing to me than the LCD-X, but then again, I spent a good amount of time with neutrality. As far as performance goes, I'd say the LCD-X is definitely the better "performing" can, though.

Kojaku

The Mjolnir/gungnir stack really brought my LCD 2's to a new level so I'm guessing the other LCD headphones will play well with this combination. You know how it goes in this hobby; the lure of something "better" is hard to resist though at this level personal preference plays a huge role. I saw the LCD 3 as an improved version of the 2 and the X as representing a slightly different direction in terms of bigger soundstage and more detail. Of course I won't know until I listen so I'm anxious to see how they compare!

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #2,447 of 6,385
The Mjolnir/gungnir stack really brought my LCD 2's to a new level so I'm guessing the other LCD headphones will play well with this combination. You know how it goes in this hobby; the lure of something "better" is hard to resist though at this level personal preference plays a huge role. I saw the LCD 3 as an improved version of the 2 and the X as representing a slightly different direction in terms of bigger soundstage and more detail. Of course I won't know until I listen so I'm anxious to see how they compare!

I'd say the mjol/gung is a bit brighter than neutral, which really helps with the LCD2s. I'm not sure how important it is for the 3's though. I happen to think itd be a bit too hot in the highest treble regions with the mjol/gung combo, but not everyone has the same ear.

Kojaku

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #2,448 of 6,385

LCD-2 - Well-extended, treble a bit shelved compared to the others in the lineup. Biggest issue: grainy (read: not as lush)
LCD-3 - Super well-extended, fast, full. Biggest issue: not perceived to be as airy or neutral as the new X
LCD-X - PRaT, REALLY FAST (by comparison to the previous models), monitoring frequency response (insofar as you can call any audeze can a monitor), Biggest issue: not as full-sounding
LCD-XC - Pretty extended, Semi-Congested, VERY good sounding for a closed can. Biggest issue: Staging and imaging.

As far as the best all-rounder? I'm of the party that thinks the best all-rounder is the most neutrally voiced. Thus, the LCD-x, even though it isn't my personal favorite.

Just a quick and dirty. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Kojaku

Thank you for breaking down the differences, Kojaku +rep

I just received my LCD-3 last night and have been thoroughly enjoying them on my mjol/gung stack, LCD-2 should show up in a few hours from now. I will be A/B'ing the two to decide which I prefer to keep. 

I had the chance to audition the X and the 3 side by side for about an hour on a top tier McIntosh amp, not sure exactly what model it was. I did prefer the X's, when driven off of that amp. Everything just sounded so lifelike in comparison, I actually felt like the artists were singing in the same demo room that I was sitting in. The 3s sounded veiled/muffled in comparison.

However, on my setup I do not have that same impression. 

I can't get the X's out of my head, though. Really curious how it would sound being fed from the mjol/gung stack. 

Well, based on all the reading I've done (and, believe me I've done plenty) I'd say you have absolutely nailed the general consensus. I have waffled back and forth between the X and the 3 (currently own LCD 2, rev. 2) and I finally settled on the X which will be here tomorrow. I finally decided against the 3 but it was REALLY close. I believe the 3's are possibly due for an "update" so I'm hedging my bets. Now, I really do like my 2's quite a bit so I'm anxious to do the head to head comparison to draw my own conclusions. My main set up is the Mjolnir/Gungnir stack and the Mjolnir allows two headphones to be connected at the same time so that will facilitate switching back and forth while listening to the same music. Obviously I'm anxious to see how the real life comparison goes!

Please do let us know what your thoughts are when you have a chance to compare the two when being fed from the mjol/gung. I am EXTREMELY curious how the Xs perform on this stack, compared to the 2s.

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #2,449 of 6,385
As promised (if anyone cares, lol), I'm posting you my new LCD-3s' FR plot. The Audeze customer support has confirmed to me that they no longer send out a hard copy of the FR graph, "to save trees". They seem to care less about the endangered Zebrano wood though :wink:

Is there anything to make out of it?

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #2,450 of 6,385

LCD-2 - Well-extended, treble a bit shelved compared to the others in the lineup. Biggest issue: grainy (read: not as lush)
LCD-3 - Super well-extended, fast, full. Biggest issue: not perceived to be as airy or neutral as the new X
LCD-X - PRaT, REALLY FAST (by comparison to the previous models), monitoring frequency response (insofar as you can call any audeze can a monitor), Biggest issue: not as full-sounding
LCD-XC - Pretty extended, Semi-Congested, VERY good sounding for a closed can. Biggest issue: Staging and imaging.

As far as the best all-rounder? I'm of the party that thinks the best all-rounder is the most neutrally voiced. Thus, the LCD-x, even though it isn't my personal favorite.

Just a quick and dirty. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Kojaku

I just received my LCD-3 last night and have been thoroughly enjoying them on my mjol/gung stack, LCD-2 should show up in a few hours from now. I will be A/B'ing the two to decide which I prefer to keep. 

I had the chance to audition the X and the 3 side by side for about an hour on a top tier McIntosh amp, not sure exactly what model it was. I did prefer the X's, when driven off of that amp. Everything just sounded so lifelike in comparison, I actually felt like the artists were singing in the same demo room that I was sitting in. The 3s sounded veiled/muffled in comparison.

I can't get the X's out of my head, though. Really curious how it would sound being fed from the mjol/gung stack. 

Please do let us know what your thoughts are when you have a chance to compare the two when being fed from the mjol/gung. I am EXTREMELY curious how the Xs perform on this stack, compared to the 2s.

My pleasure. I'll be making the comparisons using several different set ups so a complete review will take some time. My music files are mostly Apple lossless and AIFF. I use Audirvana and will be comparing initially using the Mjolnir/gungnir pairing. I'll also be comparing using my Wadia 121 and my Burson HA 160D. I am also using the Gugnir as a DAC for my NAD 356BEE and I'll be testing the headphones through that combination as well. I'm sure I will be posting some early observations as well.

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #2,451 of 6,385
  As promised (if anyone cares, lol), I'm posting you my new LCD-3s' FR plot. The Audeze customer support has confirmed to me that they no longer send out a hard copy of the FR graph, "to save trees". They seem to care less about the endangered Zebrano wood though :wink:

Is there anything to make out of it?

Here is mine, examined couple days earlier than yours:

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #2,452 of 6,385
My pleasure. I'll be making the comparisons using several different set ups so a complete review will take some time. My music files are mostly Apple lossless and AIFF. I use Audirvana and will be comparing initially using the Mjolnir/gungnir pairing. I'll also be comparing using my Wadia 121 and my Burson HA 160D. I am also using the Gugnir as a DAC for my NAD 356BEE and I'll be testing the headphones through that combination as well. I'm sure I will be posting some early observations as well.

Looking forward to it. +1

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #2,453 of 6,385

Here is mine, examined couple days earlier than yours:

There's certainly a resemblance there :) I also compared it with XVampireX's graph from September and it's also similar:

Glad to see there's a consistency. From what I saw older units measured a little differently so I'm guessing they made some tweaks.

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #2,457 of 6,385

Going for an audition, driving in traffic - busy urban noises - getting to the store, your physiology is far different than when at home relaxing.

Darker cans always come off worse in meet conditions and store auditions, brighter cans standing out more with its extra clarity able to cut through your ear response after being exposed to a day of busy activity. 

I believe that was how I loved my K701s at a store, bought them and couldn't quite figure out what I was doing after  listening to them in my home environment.  They sounded extremely lean, in contrast to the store audition.

wink_face.gif

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #2,459 of 6,385
How often do you guys use that wood care grease? :)

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #2,460 of 6,385
  How often do you guys use that wood care grease? :)

Like once a year for me. Because the wood never actually seems dry to me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back