Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #2,476 of 6,385
+1.mine even felt a bit bright when the first time i listen with it( pretty true to my graph, more airy and treble sparkle) which a bit different than what i experienced before. It settled down after two days and i love it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mine are actually brighter than when I got them :)
But I think it's more to do with the IC I switched to a few days ago. I'm quite glad they're so sensitive to minor changes in the chain. Gives a chance to tweak :D

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #2,477 of 6,385
Mine do indeed sound quite detailed and bright - definately not dull or veiled in any way - can't wait to try them on the studio six :D

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #2,478 of 6,385
  Mine do indeed sound quite detailed and bright - definately not dull or veiled in any way - can't wait to try them on the studio six :D

I don't know why -3s have a bad rap for being veiled. I've heard two pairs from what must be different production runs and don't find that at all. The stock cable is a tad veiled, but once you upgrade, the trebles is just right IMHO.

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #2,479 of 6,385

I don't know why -3s have a bad rap for being veiled. I've heard two pairs from what must be different production runs and don't find that at all. The stock cable is a tad veiled, but once you upgrade, the trebles is just right IMHO.

To me it's not even that they're not veiled. They're not dark at all. I always read about how they were "king of darkness", and "welcome to the dark side" but they're just not. And I'm coming from GS1000 so I know what bright cans sound like. Of course I wouldn't call the LCDs bright in any way. I'm suspecting the ones manufactured these days are somewhat different to the ones they made in the first year.

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #2,480 of 6,385

To me it's not even that they're not veiled. They're not dark at all. I always read about how they were "king of darkness", and "welcome to the dark side" but they're just not. And I'm coming from GS1000 so I know what bright cans sound like. Of course I wouldn't call the LCDs bright in any way. I'm suspecting the ones manufactured these days are somewhat different to the ones they made in the first year.

The FR plot of the pair that I own looks pretty close to those posted here.  Namely, minor treble dip at 8-9Khz and then a slight rising plateau above about 10K.  My pair has manufacturing date of last October. Maybe I'll scan and post it one of these days.

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #2,481 of 6,385

+1 and +1. They don't sound near as those described( Dark) , it is very natural sounding. May be the recent production has finally come to stable, it does pack with lots of detail, and honestly, clean and clear to my ears.

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #2,483 of 6,385
It depends what do you consider to be neutral. If HD 800 is neutral then the 3s are somewhat dark :)

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #2,485 of 6,385
  If you compare your graph to the last two posted(one of them is mine), yours looks much different, particularly that 8k dip.

Yeah, that 8kHz dip is not likely there, but an issue with precise measurements at higher frequencies. Typical actually in this range.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #2,487 of 6,385
  Or said a better way, if you consider 3s neutral then HD800 is way too bright
smile_phones.gif

I wouldn't say way too bright. I'd say more bright. But then again you know neutral when you hear it and the 3s are not that neutral to my ears. I don't consider them dark, just a bit warm and nicer sounding :)

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #2,489 of 6,385

I wouldn't say way too bright. I'd say more bright. But then again you know neutral when you hear it and the 3s are not that neutral to my ears. I don't consider them dark, just a bit warm and nicer sounding :)

I can also add that the -3s are much darker with the stock cabling.  At least for me, upgrading the cable really shifted things towards treble significantly.

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #2,490 of 6,385
(repeating myself from another thread with some more info):
I'm mystified by the reports of reticence in the higher frequencies of the LCD3 (at least my pair). They seem quite vibrant and basically totally balanced top to bottom (and have a wonderful deep bass).
I just listened last night for a few hours and thought they were totally musically engaging, with no part of the frequency spectrum standing out, great palbability, sweet and exciting and dynamic and fast all at once.

I guess I've been reading about this reticence in comparison to the the new LCD-XC (which I've never heard), but for me the 3 does it all.

I use Drew's Silver Dragon cable (balanced/Furutech XLRs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back