Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #1,576 of 6,385

No. Point being nobody can really claim which 'scales higher' because it IS apples to oranges.

Yet you seem to think so for some reason only you seem to understand.
blink.gif

-Daniel

I sure do.  It's simple to me.  Sorry you don't..  
eek.gif

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #1,580 of 6,385
Another bit of O/T

I've heard all the 3 amps in the discussion the BHSE, WES and the KGSSHV (minus mine that is being built). I don't fanboy for either side but I tend to like to know a bit about the amp (technical perspectives including spec, parts used and a brief about the circuitry design but I'm no EE) apart from it's sound. At one stage I use to think the Wes and A10 was well regarded I was proven wrong by words and that early opinion I had was proven wrong after hearing the latter for myself.

I had limited time with the BHSE and 009 pairing so take things with a grain.

In terms of build quality, both the BHSE and WES will get a 10/10 from me. KGSSHV is not a commercial build it is DIY, with DIY the skies literally the limit.

BHSE + 009, bit bright for my taste but very unbelievable sounding, I'm sure  I would've picked more flaws out of the combo if I had more than 40 minutes to play around with things so my brain can adjust itself and nullify bias, placebo etc.

WES + 009 is a nice pairing as it adds bit more meat onto the 009's sound but the extension doesn't come of as clean sounding, I'm sorry but extension onto all sound aspects of an electrostat including one such as the 009 is one thing it must deliver cleanly when paired up with the amplifier it is being powered from, otherwise the sound is no different to your general ortho and dynamic headphone. To be able to deliver the sound, extended audibly clean and nice, separation of the different sound aspects.

KGSSHV + 009 is a cleaner sounding WES with no extension fuzziness.

But I still prefer my Omega's over the 009 because it was the most expensive stat I've owned. hehe.

Now all we need is somebody put 009 transducers into the LCD3's.

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #1,581 of 6,385

I sure do.  It's simple to me.  Sorry you don't..  
eek.gif

Of course you do understand, sorry, none of us knows what you are talking at all.

I understand your list of amps you have tried is very long, so what in your opinion is the best amplifier for both HD800 and LCD-3? GS-X MkII? Please let me know, so that I can try to do a comparison if I have the chance and see if there is any amplifier out there that can scale higher than that. Sorry that I have to repeat this question again.

Sep 16, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #1,582 of 6,385
Why is everybody talking only about amps?

preproman, have you you tried a 10k or 20k DAC to see which scales better with it? My guess is that HE6 would come out crying. And yes, you are the only one that understands :)

Sep 16, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #1,583 of 6,385
A bird told me the LCD-3's scale REALLY well with speaker amps with taps
I guess the LCD-3's need all the power they can get. It's a different kind of driving.

Though it could be also because the HE-6 are also planar magnetic they would also scale well on speaker amps/taps. I'm gonna try this suggestion with the LCD-3's once I get them.

Sep 16, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #1,584 of 6,385

Of course you do understand, sorry, none of us knows what you are talking at all.

I understand your list of amps you have tried is very long, so what in your opinion is the best amplifier for both HD800 and LCD-3? GS-X MkII? Please let me know, so that I can try to do a comparison if I have the chance and see if there is any amplifier out there that can scale higher than that. Sorry that I have to repeat this question again.

The question was never about how high an amplifier can scale.  

No wonder...

As far as SS amps go - yes the GS-X mk2

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #1,586 of 6,385
  A bird told me the LCD-3's scale REALLY well with speaker amps with taps

Your little birdy was high :wink:  The LCD-3 on a First Watt F3 sounded worse in every way compared to the much less expensive Burson Soloist.

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #1,587 of 6,385

Have you

You need to compare the headphones in their own environment. That means getting near to the best-gear-money-can-buy for each one of them. And that means DAC, AMP and cables. HD 800 for example scales tremendously with very expensive DACs (like MSB). LCD 3 not so much.

Saying that HE6 scales better just because HD 800 didn't scale with speaker amps is like saying that HD 800 scales better just because HE6 didn't scale with headphone amps.

Don't get we wrong, you could very possibly be right. It's just that your arguments are invalid.

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #1,588 of 6,385
I want to get a Cyclops speaker amp and pair that with a MSB dac. I suspect that combo with the LCD3 will be squarely in the realm of Stax 009 with a little less capital expenditure. Plus I can use the amp to drive a pair of Magnepans in the future. Should be driving around 20 W per channel into 45 ohms. Should have the LCD3 singing nicely I think.

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #1,589 of 6,385

You need to compare the headphones in their own environment. That means getting near to the best-gear-money-can-buy for each one of them. And that means DAC, AMP and cables. HD 800 for example scales tremendously with very expensive DACs (like MSB). LCD 3 not so much.

Saying that HE6 scales better just because HD 800 didn't scale with speaker amps is like saying that HD 800 scales better just because HE6 didn't scale with headphone amps.

Don't get we wrong, you could very possibly be right. It's just that your arguments are invalid.

rolleyes.gif

OK...

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #1,590 of 6,385
The question was never about how high an amplifier can scale.  

No wonder...

As far as SS amps go - yes the GS-X mk2
Yes, I should be clearer, I meant if there are any amplifier out there that can make the HD800 or LCD-3 scale higher than GS-X. Rest assured, none of us here is comparing amplifiers, except one, but you probably won't know who :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back