Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #1,562 of 6,388

And speaker amps have done nothing for the HD800s....apples and oranges.
smile.gif
 I liked the HE-6s a lot and put them in my top 5 of all time...just not top 3. 
size]

My point again.  There're way more quality speaker amps out there compared to quality headphone amps.  So as the quality of the amp goes up so does the HE-6.  Not so much with the HD800 or the LCD-3. 

Both are headphones (apples) 
biggrin.gif

Your ranking are your ranking.  I have different as we all do.  At this point I've found the HE-6 to be the better non stat headphone I've heard.  I've also heard the HE-6 get to a point where it's toe to toe with the 009s I'll take the mids and bass of the HE-6 over the 009s any day.  The treble when done right can match them as well.  Just my subjective option.

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #1,564 of 6,388

My point again.  There're way more quality speaker amps out there compared to quality headphone amps.  So as the quality of the amp goes up so does the HE-6.  Not so much with the HD800 or the LCD-3. 

Both are headphones (apples) 
biggrin.gif

Your ranking are your ranking.  I have different as we all do.  At this point I've found the HE-6 to be the better non stat headphone I've heard.  I've also heard the HE-6 get to a point where it's toe to toe with the 009s I'll take the mids and bass of the HE-6 over the 009s any day.  The treble when done right can match them as well.  Just my subjective option.

Most certainly they're my rankings. Sorry, but we'll have to disagree. And on the SR-009s with the KGSSHV, sorry again, not even close. Just wait until you get your pairing.

Both are not headphones, the HD800s are headphones and the HE-6s are speakers with a headband to connect them.
tongue.gif
 Driving them is so very different that comparing them is very difficult as the upstream rigs can't be the same to hear them at their best and determining what the differences are can be difficult to determine.

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #1,565 of 6,388

Most certainly they're my rankings. Sorry, but we'll have to disagree. And on the SR-009s with the KGSSHV, sorry again, not even close. Just wait until you get your pairing.

Both are not headphones, the HD800s are headphones and the HE-6s are speakers with a headband to connect them.
tongue.gif

Driving them is so very different that comparing them is very difficult as the upstream rigs can't be the same to hear them at their best and determining what the differences are can be difficult to determine.

I've heard the 009s on much better amps compared to the KGSSHV..  But anyway..

tongue.gif

For sure... 
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #1,566 of 6,388

I've heard the 009s on much better amps compared to the KGSSHV..  But anyway..

tongue.gif

For sure... 
biggrin.gif

Unless you're talking about a T-2, there are none. The BHSE is very close and sometimes too close to call according to ears I trust (like El_Doug). 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/569024/question-about-amps-for-the-stax-sr-009/465#post_9766879

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #1,568 of 6,388

Yes of course the BHSE and the Woo WES.  

The BHSE is in another league compared to the KGSSHV - sorry...

OMGoodness, the Woo WES. LMAO. Sorry we'll DEFINITELY have to disagree there. Please don't mention that on the Stax thread...might really get some fireworks going too from the Mafia. 
ph34r.gif
 And please read El_Doug's post who happens to own both (there is another on an other forum that I can't link here from an owner who's been around the block who also owns both and share's these sentiments):

If you REALLY want a comment... 

There is a damned good chance that your mind cannot accept the idea of sand sounding as good as tubes.  The glow excites you and, after many years, you have developed a bias that only their "tube warmth" can give you sonic bliss.  What you do not realize is that the "tube warmth" is not an intrinsic quality of the tubes, but rather of the circuit topologies used.  For instance the BHSE's use of tubes should actually give more of a "solid state sound" than even the KGSSHV, given the tubes are properly biased into their most linear possible (more linear than most transistors), and the push-pull symmetry actually removes the harmonic distortions many are used to in SET tube amps.  Indeed, you have grown distrustful that transistors can ever be top quality and, as such, you are hearing with your eyes almost as much as with your ears.  Accept this, challenge your preconceptions, and finally give truly blind comparisons a chance, and you'll find the KGSSHV is one of the finest amps in existence.  My SA1968 KGSSHV sounds so remarkably close to the BHSE that I often don't even bother warming up my tubes. 

I'm going to get to hear a friend' s  (zare) with the latest batch. When he gets it, we'll have another mini-meet. As well, price tag doesn't correlate to performance. Justin is also on the record for saying that if he built the KGSSHV, it would most likely cost as much as the BHSE if that helps you. 
wink.gif

And sorry, but I'd still take (in order) the SR-009s, LCD-3s, HD800s, SR-007s and maybe (depending on my mood) the T1s over the HE-6s. Sorry.

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #1,569 of 6,388
Someone's *****-footin' here.
rolleyes.gif

Not only is it apples and oranges-it completely lacks proper perspective imo. There are THOUSANDS more speaker amps than headphone amps-and the speaker amps can go to the moon as far as pricing. It's easy to say that the HE-6 can scale higher than anything else-when it's the only one that is so blatanty ineffeicient to require stepping into that realm. I guess we should have Audeze and Senn make their next flagship around 80 dB/mw and add speaker taps so they have the potential to sound better.
rolleyes.gif

One another note-not one person here can claim they've heard ANY headphone dynamic or otherwise-reach it's ceiling-being as there are too many variables, and unobtanium sources out there to be able to claim that with any authority. The Stax guys probably come closest-but that's just because they have like 5 amps to choose from. ;P

In the end-it's all subjective anyway.

-Daniel

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #1,571 of 6,388

And sorry for you as well.  As I'll take in order:   HE-6 --> 009s --> HD800 -- >T1 --> LCD-3 --> TH900 

Aslo sorry to say El_Doug's opinion is just ones mans opinion 

Just as yours. 
size]
 But he happens to own both and listened in his home vs. meet impressions (which are far from "ideal"). As mentioned, there is another member on another forum who's been around and also owns both and feels the same way. 

The WES with the SR-007s was simply meh (and I'm being nice). Put the SR-007s on a KGSS and wow, do they sound good. But again, just one man's opinion. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #1,572 of 6,388
  Someone's *****-footin' here.
rolleyes.gif

Not only is it apples and oranges-it completely lacks proper perspective imo. There are THOUSANDS more speaker amps than headphone amps-and the speaker amps can go to the moon as far as pricing. It's easy to say that the HE-6 can scale higher than anything else-when it's the only one that is so blatanty ineffeicient to require stepping into that realm. I guess we should have Audeze and Senn make their next flagship around 80 dB/mw and add speaker taps so they have the potential to sound better.
rolleyes.gif

Yet again.  That's my point..
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back