Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Dec 20, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #7,846 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
He is right that cables are not going to make a headphone someone does not prefer or like into one they do like though.

Have you ever had the opportunity to hear a pair of K1000s with the stock tail, and then listen to them with a Black Dragon tail (or some other decent after-market cable)?  If you didn't hear an improvement then I suggest to you that maybe the placebo effect was operating in reverse.

No I have not, and you are correct that I could be having placebo by not hearing anything... which is why I do not test cables anymore... it is useless until my mind "opens up" some more once again.

But being "closed minded" have saved me a bundle and I have a much better system and headphones now as a result of not frittering money away on useless things : - ) but we are really off topic now.

And if ANY headphone is going to show that cables really do make a difference, it is going to be the LCD-2.

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #7,847 of 18,459

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But being "closed minded" have saved me a bundle and I have a much better system and headphones now as a result of not frittering money away on useless things ..

regular_smile%20.gif

Striving for audio perfection (or even an elevated feeling of 'good enough') is often expensive and sometimes frustrating.  Friends don't let friends browse Head-Fi.

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #7,848 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:

But being "closed minded" have saved me a bundle and I have a much better system and headphones now as a result of not frittering money away on useless things ..

regular_smile%20.gif

Striving for audio perfection (or even an elevated feeling of 'good enough') is often expensive and sometimes frustrating.  Friends don't let friends browse Head-Fi.

Man, isn't that the truth.  Great quote.

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #7,849 of 18,459
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

regular_smile%20.gif

Man, isn't that the truth.  Great quote.

Agreed. I might "borrow" that phrase from time to time.
smile.gif

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #7,852 of 18,459

Quote:
I would love to hear which headphones you think have accurate treble so I can get a better sense of the way you hear.  SR325, SA5000 and GS1000? 
wink_face.gif

Any diffuse field equalised headphone (ER4S, K340DF...). I'll let you know if the stax lambda run through an EQ produces the same (theoretically it should, but I like the way it sounds already). You could do it yourself on your LCD-2 using a software EQ if you have a computer rig. Heck, turning down the bass and mids about 5-10 dB would get closer to what I prefer (but not quite).

FWIW I don't like the grados I've heard (MSpro is okay, but I wouldn't buy it)

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #7,853 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
I would love to hear which headphones you think have accurate treble so I can get a better sense of the way you hear.  SR325, SA5000 and GS1000? 
wink_face.gif

Any diffuse field equalised headphone (ER4S, K340DF...). I'll let you know if the stax lambda run through an EQ produces the same (theoretically it should, but I like the way it sounds already). You could do it yourself on your LCD-2 using a software EQ if you have a computer rig. Heck, turning down the bass and mids about 5-10 dB would get closer to what I prefer (but not quite).

Why on God's earth would I want to EQ my LCD-2s into the horrible mess that were my ER-4P and S IEMs?
confused.gif
Turn real life into tin-like, chalkboard screeching, ear bleeding-treble happy IEMs, with NO BASS to speak of? If that's what turns your crank, then I can certainly see why the LCD-2s may not be for you and thank goodness you had no part in their development.
wink_face.gif

Basically with this comment, you have put your LCD-2 experiences into total perspective (thanks rhythmdevils for the leading question btw) for me.

FWIW, many of us "educated" Head-fiers do believe that cables can tune headphones/speakers. They are the last piece to the audio puzzle...but still valid.

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #7,854 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
The LCD-2 fanbase seems rampant with the "Cables will fix this" ideology that plagues many headphones I consider to be dark, perhaps most notably the HD650 - where people somehow consider it standard fare that you "must upgrade to a silver cable to bring the treble alive". Not a believer (I have an education). Still, whether there is any difference or not, placebo is awesome and anyone who says otherwise needs to take their medication (sugar pills)

As far as I can tell, you seem rampant with the "I will prove you all wrong" mentality.  No offense, I love hearing your opinion and you are articulate, but I have an education as well, and I also have my own intuition and perception and I trust all of those things more than I trust yours (or anyone else's for that matter).

+1 .... 

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #7,855 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
As far as I can tell, you seem rampant with the "I will prove you all wrong" mentality.  No offense, I love hearing your opinion and you are articulate, but I have an education as well, and I also have my own intuition and perception and I trust all of those things more than I trust yours (or anyone else's for that matter).

+1 .... 

+2 in a big, big way.

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #7,856 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
wink_face.gif

Are you going to try the HE-6? They sound more to your taste. Bass is articulate but not as aggressive as the LCD-2.

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #7,858 of 18,459
this may be a stupid question but how well do you think the Fiio E9 combo can power the LCD-2? Obviously it wouldn't sound nearly as good as a high end setup, but do you think it would bring out at least 90% of the can's potential?

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #7,859 of 18,459

Quote:
this may be a stupid question but how well do you think the Fiio E9 combo can power the LCD-2? Obviously it wouldn't sound nearly as good as a high end setup, but do you think it would bring out at least 90% of the can's potential?

If an iPod can drive and deliver enjoyment, your Fii0 can too.

Obviously it is not the best... but the LCD-2 are still good enough to get my toes tapping straight out of my iPod.

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #7,860 of 18,459
The bottle neck is then there. And that might be why cables won't make a lot of difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back