Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Dec 21, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #7,876 of 18,459
If I was a collector-type, I would probably buy all the SACDs of popular (and some classical/jazz) music I could get my hands on, as they are probably a limited resource
and could be really valuable someday.

As for the Stax Lambdas, I'm probably in a minority, but I liked them better that the Omegas(w/007t amp). They were more direct and stronger and life-like,
with a you-are-there feeling. I had some Apogee Stage speakers around that time and noted some similarity.
It was like a glass wall had come down and the performers & instruments were really there. Things weren't exactly life-sized or wide-staged, but I just didn't care,
because I was so transfixed by the transparency. Bass was sort of weak, but it was tight and fast and genuine-sounding.
I had them for about 4 years. I feel they were an underrated phone system. Everyone seemed to switch over to the Omegas.

The Earcups on the Lambdas did not clear my ears and pressed the top of my ears against my head (or the bottom of my ears if I moved them downward).
I actually never found a Stax I found comfortable. I always wished Stax would go with some big cushy pad like R10s or something.

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #7,877 of 18,459

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for the Stax Lambdas, I'm probably in a minority, but I liked them better that the Omegas(w/007t amp). They were more direct and stronger and life-like,
with a you-are-there feeling. I had some Apogee Stage speakers around that time and noted some similarity.

Same here, but I can't say whether the omegas were severely underpowered or not as I'm not sure of the capabilities of the amp used.

The new stax looks HUGE. But it's probably going to set you back 5k or so.... So I'll probably give it a miss (personally that's past my "buy speakers instead" threshold).

Dec 21, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #7,878 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

Same here, but I can't say whether the omegas were severely underpowered or not as I'm not sure of the capabilities of the amp used.

The new stax looks HUGE. But it's probably going to set you back 5k or so.... So I'll probably give it a miss (personally that's past my "buy speakers instead" threshold).

And please explain what that has to do with the price of tea in China, or the topic of this thread?
confused.gif

Dec 21, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #7,879 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And please explain what that has to do with the price of tea in China, or the topic of this thread?
confused.gif

seems lately talking about everything but the LCD2 on the LCD2 thread. Peter i noticed ASR commented he liked the Moon Cable. with the LCD2. Looks like you were the first here to use it and it is catching on.

Dec 21, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #7,880 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

confused.gif

seems lately talking about everything but the LCD2 on the LCD2 thread. Peter i noticed ASR commented he liked the Moon Cable. with the LCD2. Looks like you were the first here to use it and it is catching on.

I'm happy that ASR has finally found something he likes! I really like the Silver Dragon with the LCD-2s. I find that the bass is basically unaffected, but the mids more liquid and forward with a slight improvement (for me anyway) to the treble and sense of air as a result. Then throw in the ergonomic improvements in terms of ZERO microphonics and it being very light when compared to the stock or ALO...a very nice bonus. I think my cable was the first that Drew made (not that I want to take credit for it, but I did ask him about it before it was even listed on his website
wink.gif
).

Thanks for helping get this thread back on track!
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 21, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #7,881 of 18,459
It will be interesting how the LCD2 reacts to the two piece CSP-2 and Taboo with some power. I am hoping the soundstage opens up a bit and I pick up more headroom for the demanding classical music. I guess I will find out soon enough as the Taboo in transit.

Dec 21, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #7,882 of 18,459

Quote:
It will be interesting how the LCD2 reacts to the two piece CSP-2 and Taboo with some power. I am hoping the soundstage opens up a bit and I pick up more headroom for the demanding classical music. I guess I will find out soon enough as the Taboo in transit.

Planars do love more POWER...so that should be a great match. Please keep us posted on your thoughts when your Taboo arrives!

Dec 21, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #7,883 of 18,459
right now, i'm listening to Cannonball Adderley with my LCD-2.  and it is just magical.

driving them from the speaker terminals of my Virtue Audio TWO.2, with linear power supply.
it is unreal.

and, i have to agree with MH, the silver dragon takes the LCD-2 up a notch in my book...

Dec 21, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #7,884 of 18,459
I am still amazed by my LCD2s.  Everytime I put it on, it never ceases to amaze me.  Its like I keep getting a new toy syndrome, being filled with joy and amazement listening to my music.  I am still shocked at how life-like everything sounds coming out of the LCD2s...I still can't believe that I have attained this level of audio satisfaction, I just never imagined that audio reproduction is capable of sounding so accurate, the illusion of real instruments and voices is supernatural.

Dec 21, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #7,885 of 18,459
A random but interesting thing I have noticed is that the LCD-2 are just about identical to my vintage Fostex as far as sensitivity, or at least volume knob placement.  I was expecting them to be more sensitive. 

Dec 21, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #7,887 of 18,459

Quote:
one thing is for sure, they are WAY easier to drive than the HE-6.
good grief, that HE-6 is a beast to drive... 

But just incredible when they are driven right....

Dec 21, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #7,889 of 18,459

Quote:
yeah nice, but I thought they were overdamped.  Like listening to speakers in outerspace. 

yes, if you ask me, the chief difference between the LCD-2 and HE-6 is the damping / decay.
the LCD-2 has an abundance of decay, and the HE-6 is tight and decay is very abrupt.

i like both headphones immensely, but they naturally give different experiences...

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #7,890 of 18,459

Quote:
I am still amazed by my LCD2s.  Everytime I put it on, it never ceases to amaze me.  Its like I keep getting a new toy syndrome, being filled with joy and amazement listening to my music.  I am still shocked at how life-like everything sounds coming out of the LCD2s...I still can't believe that I have attained this level of audio satisfaction, I just never imagined that audio reproduction is capable of sounding so accurate, the illusion of real instruments and voices is supernatural.

x2

My thoughts exactly... I feel you.

When is that phoenix going to get here to have amp sex with your LCD-2? You are going to be blown away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back