Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Dec 4, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #7,172 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Just heard from Sankar. All the blocks have been sent out as of this week, so hopefully we'll be seeing them soon. 
smile.gif

Also the fabric-covered cables are apparently only balanced. Single-ended cables are not fabric-covered. 
frown.gif

Your kidding me. I mean the nylon covering is horrible and frankly, cheap. I would have thought they would have changed all to cloth. It is even worse if you have a day or two of beard growth. Hopefully a woman won't have the issue though a few I have known. . . never mind. . . 

Yeah, I would have assumed the single-ended cables got the same treatment considering how many complaints I've seen about them. As a woman, I have my own "issues" with the cable... namely, it scratches against my blouse in a really irritating way.

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #7,173 of 18,459

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Has anyone had any low-mid, upper bass resonance issues with their LCD-2s?  I had a very odd experience which cropped up suddenly and I thought, therefore it might be a bad tube.  I swapped out tubes and it seemed to be OK.  I didn't listen much because the next day I'd committed to ship them out to my friend in CA to have a listen to them while I am on vacation since he could take his time with them, and otherwise had no way of listenign to a pair.  He builds amplifiers and does a lot of sound mixing/recording as well...used to work for Magneplanar, been in the biz a long time...very good ears.  He was curious to hear them because he uses headphones all the time in mixing and recording.  Today I got an email that he'd received the headphones safely, in great shape, and that they sounded good except for an annoying resonance in the 500-600hz range.  I asked him to clarify, but haven't heard back yet.  He was going to try it with a more powerful 2watt headphone amp of his own design (I don't know what he was using as an amp for that initial observation).  So that brought me back to my experience just before shipping them out which I'd forgotten til he wrote.  I thought I'd solved by swapping tubes (it kind of sounded like a driver tube going bad), and with the new tubes I did not hear it again, but only listened to a few cuts before packing them up.  It was like some of the frequencies had a bit of a sympathetic warble...like the mids were being distorted by the upper low range. It could still be just a bad tube - my tube tester needs calibration so I don't trust it to tell me the right story.  But I thought I'd check to see if anyone had experienced anything at all that sounded like what I'm describing.  I don't know for sure if what he's hearing is the same thing (it could have been a bad tube and what he's hearing could be unrelated - as I said, he hasn't clarified as of yet), but it is in the right region that he noted.  Anyone have any similar experience or comments?  I was listening on my WA6SEm.

For what it's worth I've also had the same experience with my WA6SE (not maxed, original prototype unit). IMO it definitely depends on the tubes.  I used my WA6SE with my RCA 6DE7 vintage tubes, which have been used for well over a year... and I heard resonances in those regions with certain music (nothing annoying but definitely there).  Then I recently switched to a NOS pair of GE 6DE7 and it was totally gone.  No resonance in that region whatsoever with anything.

I reported those resonances in my initial impressions of the LCD-2 and WA6.  It really mucked around with pianos and some vocals.  It does improve with changing tubes or amps, but it was worrisome at first.

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #7,174 of 18,459
     Quote:
Did either of you also get a balanced cable?

Quote:
Any recent impressions on the LCD-2 from new owners? 

Mine are supposed to ship today by EMS. I should get them the middle of next week. I wonder how the orthos will like all the humidity? 

I unboxed mine tonight and will admit that it's by far THE best packing job I've ever gotten from any headphone.  "Simple elegance" comes to mind when I look at the case.  Very classy.

The headphones look quite nice in person and, though quite a bit heavier than any can I've owned, don't feel that uncomfortable.  Just a tad heavy and uncomfortable, but I get the feeling that I will get used to the weight/fit quite easily.  And once that happens, I figure these'll make all other cans feel/fit like a toy.

With a whopping two or three hours of burn in and about 1/2 hour of listening time, like others have mentioned, I, too, find the bass to be quite exquisite.  They seem to resolve the various intricacies within the lower frequencies that I'd not really noticed before.  They make it really easy to follow along the bass lines, for instance. 

One of my concerns getting these cans was the talk of the tame, toned down, or not as sparkly higher frequencies as compared to the HE-6 (which I thought of getting rather than the LCD-2) since I, one, don't consider myself a "basshead" at all, and two, love a clear, crystaline treble portrayal in my cans.  I really like the SA5000, ER4, CK10, etcetera.  Clear highs; tight bass.  Yep, that's what I like.  So, like I said, was a bit apprehensive.

I needn't have worried.  Even for someone like myself, who enjoys the aforementioned cans/IEMs, the high frequencies of these cans are laid out quite nicely.  The LCD-2's have a sound that I feel can be listened to for hours on end without any fatigue coming into play.  I'm really not sure how/if burn-in comes into play with these, but even if they stayed "as is" I'd be happy with my purchase. 

BTW, I'm driving them with a CAL CL-15 and GCHA for the time being.  I'll try them with my Supra and the Audio Valve headamp at some later time. 

I'm not entirely sure, but I get a sneaky suspicion that most my other cans will be going bye-bye. 

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #7,175 of 18,459

Quote:

I needn't have worried.  Even for someone like myself, who enjoys the aforementioned cans/IEMs, the high frequencies of these cans are laid out quite nicely.  The LCD-2's have a sound that I feel can be listened to for hours on end without any fatigue coming into play.  I'm really not sure how/if burn-in comes into play with these, but even if they stayed "as is" I'd be happy with my purchase. 

BTW, I'm driving them with a CAL CL-15 and GCHA for the time being.  I'll try them with my Supra and the Audio Valve headamp at some later time. 

I'm not entirely sure, but I get a sneaky suspicion that most my other cans will be going bye-bye. 

I was reading along and you had me in suspense. I really like some clean highs. Great review. Any further thoughts will always be welcome! 

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #7,176 of 18,459

Quote:
     Quote:
Did either of you also get a balanced cable?

Quote:
Any recent impressions on the LCD-2 from new owners? 

Mine are supposed to ship today by EMS. I should get them the middle of next week. I wonder how the orthos will like all the humidity? 

I unboxed mine tonight and will admit that it's by far THE best packing job I've ever gotten from any headphone.  "Simple elegance" comes to mind when I look at the case.  Very classy.

The headphones look quite nice in person and, though quite a bit heavier than any can I've owned, don't feel that uncomfortable.  Just a tad heavy and uncomfortable, but I get the feeling that I will get used to the weight/fit quite easily.  And once that happens, I figure these'll make all other cans feel/fit like a toy.

With a whopping two or three hours of burn in and about 1/2 hour of listening time, like others have mentioned, I, too, find the bass to be quite exquisite.  They seem to resolve the various intricacies within the lower frequencies that I'd not really noticed before.  They make it really easy to follow along the bass lines, for instance. 

One of my concerns getting these cans was the talk of the tame, toned down, or not as sparkly higher frequencies as compared to the HE-6 (which I thought of getting rather than the LCD-2) since I, one, don't consider myself a "basshead" at all, and two, love a clear, crystaline treble portrayal in my cans.  I really like the SA5000, ER4, CK10, etcetera.  Clear highs; tight bass.  Yep, that's what I like.  So, like I said, was a bit apprehensive.

Like with my O2 Mk1, if the LCD-2 are the first headphone I put on my head that day then I don't miss the highs.  It's mostly in comparison to other cans that the LCD-2's highs then seem recessed to me.  Switching from most of my other cans leaves me feeling the LCD-2 are lacking in the highs.  But once my ears adjust after listening for a while, then the less present highs seem okay again.

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #7,177 of 18,459
I would imagine it is just listening to loud music. Your ears adapt and you turn it louder and they adapt. If the treble is at a certain db on some phones but lower on the LCD-2, once your ears adjust to the lower treble it would seem to fall with a normal range but not upon direct comparison when switching from one phone to the other. This within certain constraints that any of the phones wouldn't be off so much that they are truly tilted up or down by a great degree. 

Where are the images of the unpacking or at least the new phones?

Are the LCD-2 numbered?

Dec 4, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #7,178 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Has anyone had any low-mid, upper bass resonance issues with their LCD-2s?  I had a very odd experience which cropped up suddenly and I thought, therefore it might be a bad tube.  I swapped out tubes and it seemed to be OK.  I didn't listen much because the next day I'd committed to ship them out to my friend in CA to have a listen to them while I am on vacation since he could take his time with them, and otherwise had no way of listenign to a pair.  He builds amplifiers and does a lot of sound mixing/recording as well...used to work for Magneplanar, been in the biz a long time...very good ears.  He was curious to hear them because he uses headphones all the time in mixing and recording.  Today I got an email that he'd received the headphones safely, in great shape, and that they sounded good except for an annoying resonance in the 500-600hz range.  I asked him to clarify, but haven't heard back yet.  He was going to try it with a more powerful 2watt headphone amp of his own design (I don't know what he was using as an amp for that initial observation).  So that brought me back to my experience just before shipping them out which I'd forgotten til he wrote.  I thought I'd solved by swapping tubes (it kind of sounded like a driver tube going bad), and with the new tubes I did not hear it again, but only listened to a few cuts before packing them up.  It was like some of the frequencies had a bit of a sympathetic warble...like the mids were being distorted by the upper low range. It could still be just a bad tube - my tube tester needs calibration so I don't trust it to tell me the right story.  But I thought I'd check to see if anyone had experienced anything at all that sounded like what I'm describing.  I don't know for sure if what he's hearing is the same thing (it could have been a bad tube and what he's hearing could be unrelated - as I said, he hasn't clarified as of yet), but it is in the right region that he noted.  Anyone have any similar experience or comments?  I was listening on my WA6SEm.

For what it's worth I've also had the same experience with my WA6SE (not maxed, original prototype unit). IMO it definitely depends on the tubes.  I used my WA6SE with my RCA 6DE7 vintage tubes, which have been used for well over a year... and I heard resonances in those regions with certain music (nothing annoying but definitely there).  Then I recently switched to a NOS pair of GE 6DE7 and it was totally gone.  No resonance in that region whatsoever with anything.

I reported those resonances in my initial impressions of the LCD-2 and WA6.  It really mucked around with pianos and some vocals.  It does improve with changing tubes or amps, but it was worrisome at first.

Don´t forget source switching. I think people should hunt sources way way more then amps for the LCD-2. That is my experience anyway. I also had some resonances on piano with my tube amp but it´s completely gone after switching source and DSP module. And as I said earlier my Ref9 is my biggest amp upgrade for the LCD-2. But 9 out of 10 head fiers are hunting amps it seems. Me too in the beginning but all I learned is that the LCD-2 is really easy to drive well :)

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #7,180 of 18,459

Quote:
I need a quick help
Do anyone know how many days will take to arrive NYC since my payment ?
I may be leaving soon and worry if it will be arrived on time.

I am in NJ and they arrived in 2 Business days. Ask for tracking and check the status. If they left Friday look for them Tuesday

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #7,181 of 18,459
I paid on a Wednesday and it was shipped that day. It arrived on Friday in philadelphia which is the same shipping time to ny.

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #7,183 of 18,459

Quote:
Thanks Frank .... Argh ... I just ordered the Asgard yesterday thinking it was an OK match for the LCD-2s ..... 

Should I go ahead and order the M-stage? Is there a difference between V1 or V2? I can't find the V2 on ebay ... 

BTW, I can't find your impressions on the Asgard thread you mentioned .... (maybe I didn't look hard enough :) )

Anyone else have any thoughts? :)

Quote:
Quote:
Hi, why do you say e Asgard is "blah"? Is e M stage better? It does give a lower output though. Appreciate your thoughts!
smily_headphones1.gif

i did my comparison on the Asgard thread. IMO the Matrix ix more dynamic and musical

The matrix has a bigger and deeper soundstage very good power and plays music. There is a current response on the Matrix thread from someone who has both the Asgard and the Matrix. I bought a used Asgard received it on Friday and sold it Sunday. It was not very musical IMO and the Matrix did better and both the same price. If you want the really good match go for the Meir concerto is you can swing it. That is better than the matrix more refined and has gobs of power. Very good amp. I prefer tube amps and have on order a Decware Taboo to be used with my low impedance cans and speakers. I really could not listen to the Asgard. YOMV

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #7,184 of 18,459
Quote:
Quote:
I need a quick help

I am in NJ and they arrived in 2 Business days. Ask for tracking and check the status. If they left Friday look for them Tuesday

X2 for delivery to Michigan.  Does the LCD2 come with a 1/4" plug adapter cable?  I received my LCD2 package yesterday and I only have the cable with the 2 balanced XLR's on the amp end.  I ordered a Silver Dragon cable with the 1/4" plug from Moon Audio but if my package was missing a cable, I want to get it from Audeze.   Since I don't have a balanced amp nor a 1/4" plug cable, I'll just have to wait to try it out.
mad.gif

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #7,185 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I need a quick help

X2 for delivery to Michigan.  Does the LCD2 come with a 1/4" plug adapter cable?  I received my LCD2 package yesterday and I only have the cable with the 2 balanced XLR's on the amp end.  I ordered a Silver Dragon cable with the 1/4" plug from Moon Audio but if my package was missing a cable, I want to get it from Audeze.   Since I don't have a balanced amp nor a 1/4" plug cable, I'll just have to wait to try it out.
mad.gif

No, the balanced cable is optional and costs extra

Users who are viewing this thread

Back