Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Dec 3, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #7,156 of 18,459
I got an e-mail from the shipping department asking me to confirm that I got the wrong cable so they can ship me a SE one and a return label for the balanced one.  Frankly, I thought this had already been resolved this morning when I initially spoke to them.  Clearly they haven't shipped the cable yet so it won't be until late next week when I will see it.  Frustrating.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #7,157 of 18,459

Quote:
wow the LCD-2 is packaged reallllyyyy well.  Outer box has some really strong, quality packing tape- not the cheap staples brand.  Then there's some peanuts, and another box which is very neatly wrapped in bubble wrap like a Christmas present and placed on a thick piece of foam.  Inside this second box is the wooden box, which is also perfectly bubble wrapped.  Then inside the wooden box, everything is sealed in plastic bags, the cups of the headphones are wrapped in saran-wrap, and the cables have foam wrapped and taped around the connectors, the cabled coiled perfectly. 
eek.gif

And your thoughts on the sound?
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #7,158 of 18,459

Thanks Frank .... Argh ... I just ordered the Asgard yesterday thinking it was an OK match for the LCD-2s ..... 

Should I go ahead and order the M-stage? Is there a difference between V1 or V2? I can't find the V2 on ebay ... 

BTW, I can't find your impressions on the Asgard thread you mentioned .... (maybe I didn't look hard enough :) )

Anyone else have any thoughts? :)

Quote:
Quote:
Hi, why do you say e Asgard is "blah"? Is e M stage better? It does give a lower output though. Appreciate your thoughts!
smily_headphones1.gif

i did my comparison on the Asgard thread. IMO the Matrix ix more dynamic and musical

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #7,160 of 18,459
Hooray!  My blocks are just covered in fractures, I hope the new ones arrive before they actually crack

Quote:
Just heard from Sankar. All the blocks have been sent out as of this week, so hopefully we'll be seeing them soon. 
smile.gif

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #7,161 of 18,459
Audeze could probably do with signing up with Zendesk to manage their customer sales and support emails.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #7,162 of 18,459

Quote:
Just heard from Sankar. All the blocks have been sent out as of this week, so hopefully we'll be seeing them soon. 
smile.gif

Also the fabric-covered cables are apparently only balanced. Single-ended cables are not fabric-covered. 
frown.gif

Your kidding me. I mean the nylon covering is horrible and frankly, cheap. I would have thought they would have changed all to cloth. It is even worse if you have a day or two of beard growth. Hopefully a woman won't have the issue though a few I have known. . . never mind. . . 

Have they changed all the blocks on the phones to aluminum now vs plastic? 

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #7,163 of 18,459
Yesterday was not a happy day for my LCD-2.  I had replaced the cable with a brand new Silver Dragon, and I also replaced the tube I was using in my Red Wine Isabellina HPA with a NOS Siemens Cca.  Too many changes at the same time made the system sound terrible.  I could hear possibilities in the new definition I was hearing, but the stridency I was also hearing was giving me a headache.

I left the system running overnight and all day today while I went to work.  When I came home the cable had less than 1/4 of the recommended burn time on it (Moon recommends 100 hrs).  If nothing else changes for the rest of the burn period I will be thrilled. 

Shortly after I bought my LCD-2 I plugged it into a friends Cary integrated (with some very expensive premium bottles).  It sounded spectacular.  Better than the K1000 he typically uses.  Unfortunately, my RWA Isabellina (with the stock JJ and stock cable) wasn't nearly as nice.

If nothing more changes during the break in period (knocking wood), the current Isabellina (Siemens Cca) -> Silver Dragon -> LCD-2 rig will best my friends Cary, and please me, and end my audio purchases (at least for a while
normal_smile%20.gif
).

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #7,164 of 18,459
Some of the JJ tubes are ok but . . . Take care of that new tube you got. Those NOS are getting harder and hard to get. I wish I had access to my tubes (5000+ of NOS) to play with but no. . . I am here on an island looking at the bay, white billowing clouds and a cool tropical breeze and  . . . . . where was I. . ?  

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #7,165 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Has anyone had any low-mid, upper bass resonance issues with their LCD-2s?  I had a very odd experience which cropped up suddenly and I thought, therefore it might be a bad tube.  I swapped out tubes and it seemed to be OK.  I didn't listen much because the next day I'd committed to ship them out to my friend in CA to have a listen to them while I am on vacation since he could take his time with them, and otherwise had no way of listenign to a pair.  He builds amplifiers and does a lot of sound mixing/recording as well...used to work for Magneplanar, been in the biz a long time...very good ears.  He was curious to hear them because he uses headphones all the time in mixing and recording.  Today I got an email that he'd received the headphones safely, in great shape, and that they sounded good except for an annoying resonance in the 500-600hz range.  I asked him to clarify, but haven't heard back yet.  He was going to try it with a more powerful 2watt headphone amp of his own design (I don't know what he was using as an amp for that initial observation).  So that brought me back to my experience just before shipping them out which I'd forgotten til he wrote.  I thought I'd solved by swapping tubes (it kind of sounded like a driver tube going bad), and with the new tubes I did not hear it again, but only listened to a few cuts before packing them up.  It was like some of the frequencies had a bit of a sympathetic warble...like the mids were being distorted by the upper low range. It could still be just a bad tube - my tube tester needs calibration so I don't trust it to tell me the right story.  But I thought I'd check to see if anyone had experienced anything at all that sounded like what I'm describing.  I don't know for sure if what he's hearing is the same thing (it could have been a bad tube and what he's hearing could be unrelated - as I said, he hasn't clarified as of yet), but it is in the right region that he noted.  Anyone have any similar experience or comments?  I was listening on my WA6SEm.

For what it's worth I've also had the same experience with my WA6SE (not maxed, original prototype unit). IMO it definitely depends on the tubes.  I used my WA6SE with my RCA 6DE7 vintage tubes, which have been used for well over a year... and I heard resonances in those regions with certain music (nothing annoying but definitely there).  Then I recently switched to a NOS pair of GE 6DE7 and it was totally gone.  No resonance in that region whatsoever with anything.

Thanks, K_19 - Yes, a tube change did it for me too.  In my case I went from using some 50's KenRad, 6SN7GT (JAN) tubes using Glenn's adapter, which were the culprits in my case, to 6EW7's (GE's I suspect were made by Mullard - made in England).  The tube swap seemed to solve the problem, but again, sent them right off the next day only to hear this news from my friend.  It sounded very familiar.  Good to hear it's could be tube-related.  I don't know what amp he was using - not a Woo, I'm sure as he does not own one.  So is this a case of what the LCD-2's do with marginal headroom?  Though going from 6SN7's to 6EW7's should really actually cut the power/headroom some, no?  The latter, in stock form, should be putting out about 1 watt into 50 ohms as I recall.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  Not sure what boost 6SN7's offer. 

Thanks for the input.

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #7,166 of 18,459

I was beginning to feel sorry for you when I read:
I wish I had access to my tubes (5000+ of NOS) to play with but no. . .

But then I read:
I am here on an island looking at the bay, white billowing clouds and a cool tropical breeze and  . . . . . where was I. . ?  

Dude,
The LCD-2 isn't waterproof, and it won't withstand being dusted with beach sand.  You need to reevaluate your priorities.  Writing about headphones while staring out at a beach is not nearly as satisfying as enjoying a beach while (occasionally) thinking about headphones. 

No sympathy for you!
wink_face.gif

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #7,168 of 18,459
Hey, you are in San Fran so no sympathy here. . . . whoa, the sun is setting and the light on the other side of the bay is fantastic. A boat is going out to the reef and it gleams white and red as the single outboard engine sends it on its way. The palms are still now as there is just a light beeze. 

Yes but I am supposed to be here for a couple of years so I need to embrace some of what you guys are hearing . . . whoa,  a huge fruit bat just flew by. . they are so cool, big flapping wings, great mamals. . . 

So no tracking number today but my LCD's are supposed to have been sent out. 

The light is so good right now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back