Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Dec 3, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #7,126 of 18,459

Quote:
Side note: one should not immediately A-B-ing LCD-2 and HE-6, because the presentations of both are very different. They definitely have different frequency contour... And (probably caused by different housing design) hearing LCD-2 instantly right after hearing HE-6 makes the LCD-2 sounds like a closed phone... when there's at least 5 minutes to rest my ears and fade my memory of the sound, the effect would be reduced..

Indeed - but the differences are real, and for those who like much of what the LCD-2 does well, but want a brighter treble balance, the HE-6 is just the ticket.

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #7,127 of 18,459
Thank you Skylab, you have helped a decision for me. I live in the treble region and while the LCD-2 does an admirable job there, the darkness still attracts my attention. After a few songs the presentation settles down and the delicate highs are heard (mental adjustment).

Perhaps this statement is oversimplified but The LCD-2 reminds me of a HD 650/ HE 60 combo. Clear, impressive sound with a bit of syrupy smoothness. Bassheads look no further, this is your headphone.

I really want to try the HE-6 now.

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #7,128 of 18,459
I think you'll like it, based on that.  I really enjoy both, and both are outstanding headphones.  But the HE-6 has more treble energy, to be sure, and as such will appeal more to folks who prefer that kind of spectral balance.  The HE-6's treble is also outstandingly clean and pure, so it's never aggressive sounding in the pejorative sense.

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #7,129 of 18,459

Quote:
Thank you Skylab, you have helped a decision for me. I live in the treble region and while the LCD-2 does an admirable job there, the darkness still attracts my attention. After a few songs the presentation settles down and the delicate highs are heard (mental adjustment).

Perhaps this statement is oversimplified but The LCD-2 reminds me of a HD 650/ HE 60 combo. Clear, impressive sound with a bit of syrupy smoothness. Bassheads look no further, this is your headphone.

I really want to try the HE-6 now.

I agree completely. Although not to my taste, the bass response is phenomenally accurate. I've heard several cans I consider bassy, and by contrast even some lighter cans like the K701 seem bloaty, flabby or "wooly" down low compared to the LCD-2 - which is fantastically clear. I might even go so far as to say "speaker like" for a headphone. However, I find the soundstage very two dimensional (which I don't mind, actually). I don't think the treble is fantastically accurate, even when I compensate for the darkness. I had trouble totally removing the characteristics of the headphone with EQ, however I was able to significantly improve its tonal balance IMO.

I won't be going with the HE-6, though. Unfortunately for me (or fortunately), I think my dynamic/ortho days are over.

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #7,130 of 18,459
Well, I was all excited to see the Fedex truck with my LCD-2s this morning until I opened up the box and saw that the cable was a balanced cable, not single ended.  I thought the stock cable that came with them was single-ended.  Urghhhh!

They just called and said that shipments went out with balanced cables in error and they would ship me a single-ended one today.  Great service on their part but I am a little frustrated.  Oh, well.

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #7,131 of 18,459

Quote:
Well, I was all excited to see the Fedex truck with my LCD-2s this morning until I opened up the box and saw that the cable was a balanced cable, not single ended.  I thought the stock cable that came with them was single-ended.  Urghhhh!

They just called and said that shipments went out with balanced cables in error and they would ship me a single-ended one today.  Great service on their part but I am a little frustrated.  Oh, well.

Wow!! I wouldn't be frustrated ... you got a balanced cable for free?! :) hee hee .... 

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #7,132 of 18,459
OK ... I took the leap and placed an order for the LCD-2s ... they should be here next week ... I hear that upgrading to Silver cable would do much good especially on the Treble end of things .... question is,

Which Silver cable??

There are quite a few offerings and I'm sure all of them are good in their own right, just wanted to see what experience everyone else has with upgrading their cables. I thought of ordering mine soon so they'll arrive around the same time as my headphones. :)

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #7,133 of 18,459

Quote:

Sorry to hear that but QC really need to be checked over there. Too many cooks will spoil the broth

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #7,134 of 18,459
I could trade you that balanced cable for a stock one if you want!!! (I’d even pay for the transport)

(lucky person :¬)

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #7,135 of 18,459

Quote:

I ordered a balanced TWAG cable from Whiplash Audio. Arrived last week only it was not balanced so had to send it back.
Now waiting for a replacement

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #7,136 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

I ordered a balanced TWAG cable from Whiplash Audio. Arrived last week only it was not balanced so had to send it back.

thats another company with QC issues from what I have been reading on the forums. Plus obscene prices to boot.

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #7,137 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

thats another company with QC issues from what I have been reading on the forums. Plus obscene prices to boot.

Actually I don't think the price was that bad. Moon Audio's Silver Dragon (the only other reasonably priced silver cable I know of)  works out slightly cheaper but some of the other cables are extortionate.
I used to have a Silver dragon with my old HD650's and wanted a change this time.

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #7,138 of 18,459

Quote:

Bummer, David!  You might want to keep the balanced one, though.

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #7,139 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Side note: one should not immediately A-B-ing LCD-2 and HE-6, because the presentations of both are very different. They definitely have different frequency contour... And (probably caused by different housing design) hearing LCD-2 instantly right after hearing HE-6 makes the LCD-2 sounds like a closed phone... when there's at least 5 minutes to rest my ears and fade my memory of the sound, the effect would be reduced..

Indeed - but the differences are real, and for those who like much of what the LCD-2 does well, but want a brighter treble balance, the HE-6 is just the ticket.

oh, yes... that's for sure... the differences between both are so obvious... I just mean that when I heard them exchangeably (sorry for my english), when I switch immediately from HE-6 to LCD-2, it would make the LCD-2 sounds like a closed phone, which is not really the case when I give sometimes to rest my ears and reset my brain...

it is a very similar effect after I hear ATH M50 for few hours straight and my brain has adjusted to their closed sound, shifting to HF2 makes it sounds so strange... and vice versa...

I'd like to save my comments for later after Jamato8 share what he found... 

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #7,140 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

oh, yes... that's for sure... the differences between both are so obvious... I just mean that when I heard them exchangeably (sorry for my english), when I switch immediately from HE-6 to LCD-2, it would make the LCD-2 sounds like a closed phone, which is not really the case when I give sometimes to rest my ears and reset my brain...

it is a very similar effect after I hear ATH M50 for few hours straight and my brain has adjusted to their closed sound, shifting to HF2 makes it sounds so strange... and vice versa...

I'd like to save my comments for later after Jamato8 share what he found... 

I came to the LCD-2 with a very fresh brain (after several weeks of not listening due to schedule). I don't think I had enough time to adjust away from my particular preferences.

The LCD-2 didn't exactly sound open perse. It was a fairly small headspace, but everything was clearly defined inside it (as I'd expect from any quality headphone).

I didn't mention it in my thoughts earlier, but vocal separation is VERY good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back