Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Dec 3, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #7,141 of 18,459

It depends on whether you like a music sound with good detail or a hard aggressive blah sound. If you want musical go for the Woo6 if you like blah then buy the Asgard. If SS is your thing the Matrix M Stage is better as is the Concerto.

Hi, why do you say e Asgard is "blah"? Is e M stage better? It does give a lower output though.

Appreciate your thoughts! :)

Dec 3, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #7,142 of 18,459

Quote:
Well, I was all excited to see the Fedex truck with my LCD-2s this morning until I opened up the box and saw that the cable was a balanced cable, not single ended.  I thought the stock cable that came with them was single-ended.  Urghhhh!

They just called and said that shipments went out with balanced cables in error and they would ship me a single-ended one today.  Great service on their part but I am a little frustrated.  Oh, well.

That is so ironic, as they wouldn't respond to multiple email requests I mad to them regarding doing just that, substituting a balanced cable for the S/E one; I even offered to pay the $80 that they charge for the cable alone to do it and would have ordered my second pair had they agreed but they never got back to me. I would definitely pay the $80 if it included an S/E adapter but I think they really wanted me to order the cable separately lol.

Dec 3, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #7,143 of 18,459
FWIW, I called them and left a message.  They called me back within 5 minutes.

Dec 3, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #7,144 of 18,459

Quote:
Hi, why do you say e Asgard is "blah"? Is e M stage better? It does give a lower output though. Appreciate your thoughts!
smily_headphones1.gif

i did my comparison on the Asgard thread. IMO the Matrix ix more dynamic and musical

Dec 3, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #7,145 of 18,459
wow the LCD-2 is packaged reallllyyyy well.  Outer box has some really strong, quality packing tape- not the cheap staples brand.  Then there's some peanuts, and another box which is very neatly wrapped in bubble wrap like a Christmas present and placed on a thick piece of foam.  Inside this second box is the wooden box, which is also perfectly bubble wrapped.  Then inside the wooden box, everything is sealed in plastic bags, the cups of the headphones are wrapped in saran-wrap, and the cables have foam wrapped and taped around the connectors, the cabled coiled perfectly. 
eek.gif

Dec 3, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #7,146 of 18,459
I noticed (part of) that yesterday, as I was going to show it off to a friend at the office.  I opened the first box, looked at the other box plus the peanuts, and decided to retape it and just wait until I got home to take a looksy.

Unfortunately, didn't have the time to even pop open the box yesterday.

Tonight, though, it's gonna happen!

Dec 3, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #7,147 of 18,459
Did either of you also get a balanced cable?

Dec 3, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #7,148 of 18,459
Any recent impressions on the LCD-2 from new owners? 

Mine are supposed to ship today by EMS. I should get them the middle of next week. I wonder how the orthos will like all the humidity? 

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #7,150 of 18,459

Quote:
With a Mai Tai and an umbrella in the headband, I'm sure they'll tolerate it.

It took me about 40 minutes to get that! help me, I think I am losing it on this island. . . :^)

How long did it take to get the tracking number for your packages? Yes island life isn't always that exciting. 

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #7,151 of 18,459
Has anyone had any low-mid, upper bass resonance issues with their LCD-2s?  I had a very odd experience which cropped up suddenly and I thought, therefore it might be a bad tube.  I swapped out tubes and it seemed to be OK.  I didn't listen much because the next day I'd committed to ship them out to my friend in CA to have a listen to them while I am on vacation since he could take his time with them, and otherwise had no way of listenign to a pair.  He builds amplifiers and does a lot of sound mixing/recording as well...used to work for Magneplanar, been in the biz a long time...very good ears.  He was curious to hear them because he uses headphones all the time in mixing and recording.  Today I got an email that he'd received the headphones safely, in great shape, and that they sounded good except for an annoying resonance in the 500-600hz range.  I asked him to clarify, but haven't heard back yet.  He was going to try it with a more powerful 2watt headphone amp of his own design (I don't know what he was using as an amp for that initial observation).  So that brought me back to my experience just before shipping them out which I'd forgotten til he wrote.  I thought I'd solved by swapping tubes (it kind of sounded like a driver tube going bad), and with the new tubes I did not hear it again, but only listened to a few cuts before packing them up.  It was like some of the frequencies had a bit of a sympathetic warble...like the mids were being distorted by the upper low range. It could still be just a bad tube - my tube tester needs calibration so I don't trust it to tell me the right story.  But I thought I'd check to see if anyone had experienced anything at all that sounded like what I'm describing.  I don't know for sure if what he's hearing is the same thing (it could have been a bad tube and what he's hearing could be unrelated - as I said, he hasn't clarified as of yet), but it is in the right region that he noted.  Anyone have any similar experience or comments?  I was listening on my WA6SEm.

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #7,152 of 18,459
My brother and I contacted Alex on Tuesday about the blocks, and he responded by saying he was forwarding the e-mail to Sankar. As of Friday evening, we still haven't heard back one way or the other. We'd like to get this resolved once and for all, seeing as we've been waiting for the blocks now about as long as we waited for the LCD-2 itself to be built.

Since the folks at Audeze apparently browse this thread from time to time: Could you please give us a response, and also send us some sort of shipment verification?

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #7,153 of 18,459
I've also emailed them twice regarding the blocks, and there's been no response.  I'm being patient but cracks are getting visibly bigger and it would be great if they can be shipped out soon.

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #7,154 of 18,459

Quote:
Has anyone had any low-mid, upper bass resonance issues with their LCD-2s?  I had a very odd experience which cropped up suddenly and I thought, therefore it might be a bad tube.  I swapped out tubes and it seemed to be OK.  I didn't listen much because the next day I'd committed to ship them out to my friend in CA to have a listen to them while I am on vacation since he could take his time with them, and otherwise had no way of listenign to a pair.  He builds amplifiers and does a lot of sound mixing/recording as well...used to work for Magneplanar, been in the biz a long time...very good ears.  He was curious to hear them because he uses headphones all the time in mixing and recording.  Today I got an email that he'd received the headphones safely, in great shape, and that they sounded good except for an annoying resonance in the 500-600hz range.  I asked him to clarify, but haven't heard back yet.  He was going to try it with a more powerful 2watt headphone amp of his own design (I don't know what he was using as an amp for that initial observation).  So that brought me back to my experience just before shipping them out which I'd forgotten til he wrote.  I thought I'd solved by swapping tubes (it kind of sounded like a driver tube going bad), and with the new tubes I did not hear it again, but only listened to a few cuts before packing them up.  It was like some of the frequencies had a bit of a sympathetic warble...like the mids were being distorted by the upper low range. It could still be just a bad tube - my tube tester needs calibration so I don't trust it to tell me the right story.  But I thought I'd check to see if anyone had experienced anything at all that sounded like what I'm describing.  I don't know for sure if what he's hearing is the same thing (it could have been a bad tube and what he's hearing could be unrelated - as I said, he hasn't clarified as of yet), but it is in the right region that he noted.  Anyone have any similar experience or comments?  I was listening on my WA6SEm.

For what it's worth I've also had the same experience with my WA6SE (not maxed, original prototype unit). IMO it definitely depends on the tubes.  I used my WA6SE with my RCA 6DE7 vintage tubes, which have been used for well over a year... and I heard resonances in those regions with certain music (nothing annoying but definitely there).  Then I recently switched to a NOS pair of GE 6DE7 and it was totally gone.  No resonance in that region whatsoever with anything.

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #7,155 of 18,459

Quote:
My brother and I contacted Alex on Tuesday about the blocks, and he responded by saying he was forwarding the e-mail to Sankar. As of Friday evening, we still haven't heard back one way or the other. We'd like to get this resolved once and for all, seeing as we've been waiting for the blocks now about as long as we waited for the LCD-2 itself to be built.

Since the folks at Audeze apparently browse this thread from time to time: Could you please give us a response, and also send us some sort of shipment verification?

Can you explain what the issue is with the blocks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back