Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Dec 4, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #7,186 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Has anyone had any low-mid, upper bass resonance issues with their LCD-2s?  I had a very odd experience which cropped up suddenly and I thought, therefore it might be a bad tube.  I swapped out tubes and it seemed to be OK.  I didn't listen much because the next day I'd committed to ship them out to my friend in CA to have a listen to them while I am on vacation since he could take his time with them, and otherwise had no way of listenign to a pair.  He builds amplifiers and does a lot of sound mixing/recording as well...used to work for Magneplanar, been in the biz a long time...very good ears.  He was curious to hear them because he uses headphones all the time in mixing and recording.  Today I got an email that he'd received the headphones safely, in great shape, and that they sounded good except for an annoying resonance in the 500-600hz range.  I asked him to clarify, but haven't heard back yet.  He was going to try it with a more powerful 2watt headphone amp of his own design (I don't know what he was using as an amp for that initial observation).  So that brought me back to my experience just before shipping them out which I'd forgotten til he wrote.  I thought I'd solved by swapping tubes (it kind of sounded like a driver tube going bad), and with the new tubes I did not hear it again, but only listened to a few cuts before packing them up.  It was like some of the frequencies had a bit of a sympathetic warble...like the mids were being distorted by the upper low range. It could still be just a bad tube - my tube tester needs calibration so I don't trust it to tell me the right story.  But I thought I'd check to see if anyone had experienced anything at all that sounded like what I'm describing.  I don't know for sure if what he's hearing is the same thing (it could have been a bad tube and what he's hearing could be unrelated - as I said, he hasn't clarified as of yet), but it is in the right region that he noted.  Anyone have any similar experience or comments?  I was listening on my WA6SEm.

For what it's worth I've also had the same experience with my WA6SE (not maxed, original prototype unit). IMO it definitely depends on the tubes.  I used my WA6SE with my RCA 6DE7 vintage tubes, which have been used for well over a year... and I heard resonances in those regions with certain music (nothing annoying but definitely there).  Then I recently switched to a NOS pair of GE 6DE7 and it was totally gone.  No resonance in that region whatsoever with anything.

I reported those resonances in my initial impressions of the LCD-2 and WA6.  It really mucked around with pianos and some vocals.  It does improve with changing tubes or amps, but it was worrisome at first.

Don´t forget source switching. I think people should hunt sources way way more then amps for the LCD-2. That is my experience anyway. I also had some resonances on piano with my tube amp but it´s completely gone after switching source and DSP module. And as I said earlier my Ref9 is my biggest amp upgrade for the LCD-2. But 9 out of 10 head fiers are hunting amps it seems. Me too in the beginning but all I learned is that the LCD-2 is really easy to drive well :)

Thank you Larry, and Oqvist!  This is very useful information.  The one single time I heard it happen, the day before I shipped mine out, I had just sold my Modwright Transporter (my former source) because I'd upgraded my source to a Modwright DAC prototype in my main system, and the Transporter just was not fitting into my office space because if it's height (the tubes sticking out).  So the short version is that I have a REF 8 incoming.  In the meantime I was just listening to my Squeezebox Touch directly into the WA6 using its own DAC.  That's exactly when it started and I didn't even think of that!  Swapping the tubes did seem to solve it though, but I'd never heard it before that. 

Many thanks for the input here.

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #7,187 of 18,459
Quote:

Like with my O2 Mk1, if the LCD-2 are the first headphone I put on my head that day then I don't miss the highs.  It's mostly in comparison to other cans that the LCD-2's highs then seem recessed to me.  Switching from most of my other cans leaves me feeling the LCD-2 are lacking in the highs.  But once my ears adjust after listening for a while, then the less present highs seem okay again.

Hmm, seems still sound dark to me :frowning2:
Just like SE530, after listening to HD650, I don't hear SE530 high, but after sometime, I can hear again.

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #7,188 of 18,459
Quote:
I came to the LCD-2 with a very fresh brain (after several weeks of not listening due to schedule). I don't think I had enough time to adjust away from my particular preferences.

The LCD-2 didn't exactly sound open perse. It was a fairly small headspace, but everything was clearly defined inside it (as I'd expect from any quality headphone).

I didn't mention it in my thoughts earlier, but vocal separation is VERY good.

So are you started to like LCD-2 Mr. Hulk?  (MrGreen) :D  what do you think now? after 'resetting' your brain?

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #7,190 of 18,459
I can't go back to the stock cable...ever.  In fact I like it so much that the next set of Tps and my wharfedales are going to be configured with the mini-XLRs so i can use the cable with all 3 headphones.

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #7,191 of 18,459
I loved the sound of the ALO cable, but found the extra weight, which is significant, was too much for me in the end, and I sold them, preferring to stick with the also excellent and much lighter Moon Silver Dragon.

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #7,193 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I need a quick help
Do anyone know how many days will take to arrive NYC since my payment ?
I may be leaving soon and worry if it will be arrived on time.

I am in NJ and they arrived in 2 Business days. Ask for tracking and check the status. If they left Friday look for them Tuesday

X2 for delivery to Michigan.  Does the LCD2 come with a 1/4" plug adapter cable?  I received my LCD2 package yesterday and I only have the cable with the 2 balanced XLR's on the amp end.  I ordered a Silver Dragon cable with the 1/4" plug from Moon Audio but if my package was missing a cable, I want to get it from Audeze.   Since I don't have a balanced amp nor a 1/4" plug cable, I'll just have to wait to try it out.
mad.gif

No, the balanced cable is optional and costs extra

I received the balanced cable (XLR) in my package, but no single ended 1/4" plug.  Do you mean that the single ended cable is optional and cost extra?

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #7,194 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
I came to the LCD-2 with a very fresh brain (after several weeks of not listening due to schedule). I don't think I had enough time to adjust away from my particular preferences.

The LCD-2 didn't exactly sound open perse. It was a fairly small headspace, but everything was clearly defined inside it (as I'd expect from any quality headphone).

I didn't mention it in my thoughts earlier, but vocal separation is VERY good.

So are you started to like LCD-2 Mr. Hulk?  (MrGreen) :D  what do you think now? after 'resetting' your brain?

No, sorry. I still hate the headphone. Sorry for the misleading post.

It's a technically capable headphone that is crippled by it's frequency response IMO. It would be a much better headphone without it - probably very transparent rather than constantly tinging everything with it's pulled back treble (although it would still be forcing many large pieces into a smaller soundstage).

My post was referring to my listening session - which I came to after weeks of no hifi (as I gave away my last fullsize and have been busy). I still prefer bright headphones, which the LCD-2 is very far away from. However it was the first headphone I had listenned to in some time (and most of my casual listening around the house after work involved a very very very lo-fi speaker system that is overly bassy and has no treble at all).

Definitely listen before buying if you are worried about it being dark - I had the same problem and when I listened I hated it.

It's been too long now to say whether I thought the vocal separation on the LCD2 was better than on the stax, but they were both extremely good.

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #7,195 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

Like with my O2 Mk1, if the LCD-2 are the first headphone I put on my head that day then I don't miss the highs.  It's mostly in comparison to other cans that the LCD-2's highs then seem recessed to me.  Switching from most of my other cans leaves me feeling the LCD-2 are lacking in the highs.  But once my ears adjust after listening for a while, then the less present highs seem okay again.

Hmm, seems still sound dark to me :frowning2:
Just like SE530, after listening to HD650, I don't hear SE530 high, but after sometime, I can hear again.

*face palm*

(why do I bother? I retreat, I surrender)

Redbull, the LCD2 is significantly more rolled off than the SE530 in the treble...be afraid be very afraid.  It is dark in here.  In fact, the LCD2s have no treble...like Mike in headfonia says.

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #7,196 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I need a quick help

I am in NJ and they arrived in 2 Business days. Ask for tracking and check the status. If they left Friday look for them Tuesday

X2 for delivery to Michigan.  Does the LCD2 come with a 1/4" plug adapter cable?  I received my LCD2 package yesterday and I only have the cable with the 2 balanced XLR's on the amp end.  I ordered a Silver Dragon cable with the 1/4" plug from Moon Audio but if my package was missing a cable, I want to get it from Audeze.   Since I don't have a balanced amp nor a 1/4" plug cable, I'll just have to wait to try it out.
mad.gif

I received the balanced cable (XLR) in my package, but no single ended 1/4" plug.  Do you mean that the single ended cable is optional and cost extra?

I would like to know this as well. Anyone?

-Daniel

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #7,197 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I need a quick help

mad.gif

-Daniel

No, the balanced cable (thus NOT the single-ended cable) is optional (you have to ask for it, and pay for it) and costs extra. Unless they put it in your package by mistake, of course.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #7,198 of 18,459
DAC has it correct, in this batch the usually optional balanced cable was included with the LCD-2 and they left the standard SE out, it was definitely a mistake and anybody that received the balanced cable and would rather have the SE cable should contact Audeze. Now why are we posting this info instead of Audeze doing it themselves, that is the question?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I need a quick help

mad.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I need a quick help

mad.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I need a quick help

mad.gif

-Daniel

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I need a quick help

mad.gif

-Daniel

No, the balanced cable (thus NOT the single-ended cable) is optional (you have to ask for it, and pay for it) and costs extra. Unless they put it in your package by mistake, of course.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #7,199 of 18,459
Maybe they are busy replacing these balanced cables.....

Quote:
DAC has it correct, in this batch the usually optional balanced cable was included with the LCD-2 and they left the standard SE out, it was definitely a mistake and anybody that received the balanced cable and would rather have the SE cable should contact Audeze. Now why are we posting this info instead of Audeze doing it themselves, that is the question?

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #7,200 of 18,459

Don´t forget source switching. I think people should hunt sources way way more then amps for the LCD-2. That is my experience anyway. I also had some resonances on piano with my tube amp but it´s completely gone after switching source and DSP module. And as I said earlier my Ref9 is my biggest amp upgrade for the LCD-2. But 9 out of 10 head fiers are hunting amps it seems. Me too in the beginning but all I learned is that the LCD-2 is really easy to drive well :)

I forgot that I did get many improvements after switching from my Apogee mini-DAC to the Nuforce CDP-8 as source with my WA-6, and even previously posted that either here or in the LCD-2 amp thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back