Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Dec 4, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #7,201 of 18,459
my single ended cable has what seems to me to be black cloth.  It's very soft and not microphonic even a little bit.  I can scratch my fingernail on it and no sound whatsoever.  I don't mind the stock cable so far, there are many aftermarket cables that are much more annoying. 

actually I can hear the scratch a bit, but it's not like I sit here doing that...

Dec 4, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #7,202 of 18,459
If the cable is dull then I would suspect it is cloth. 

I can't find the diagram for the pin out. 

Who knows where the diagram for the right connect is for the cables when making a cable for the LCD-2? Thanks. 

Dec 4, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #7,203 of 18,459
Dec 4, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #7,204 of 18,459
The link doesn't work. I have seen the wiring diagram for both the HE-6 and LCD-2 somewhere here but I don't remember where. Most likely buried in the hundreds of replies. :^)

Ah, works now. It's a conspiracy I tell you, a conspiracy! But . . . they were found out. . . yes sir, found out. . . 

Dec 4, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #7,205 of 18,459

Quote:
The link doesn't work. I have seen the wiring diagram for both the HE-6 and LCD-2 somewhere here but I don't remember where. Most likely buried in the hundreds of replies. :^)

That website is correct, but apparently it just went down... Someone doesn't want you to have your new cable ready for when your LCD-2 show up!

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #7,206 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
And your thoughts on the sound?
biggrin.gif

evil_smiley.gif

Care to expand?

Dec 5, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #7,207 of 18,459
Quote:
No, sorry. I still hate the headphone. Sorry for the misleading post.

It's a technically capable headphone that is crippled by it's frequency response IMO. It would be a much better headphone without it - probably very transparent rather than constantly tinging everything with it's pulled back treble (although it would still be forcing many large pieces into a smaller soundstage).

My post was referring to my listening session - which I came to after weeks of no hifi (as I gave away my last fullsize and have been busy). I still prefer bright headphones, which the LCD-2 is very far away from. However it was the first headphone I had listenned to in some time (and most of my casual listening around the house after work involved a very very very lo-fi speaker system that is overly bassy and has no treble at all).

Definitely listen before buying if you are worried about it being dark - I had the same problem and when I listened I hated it.

It's been too long now to say whether I thought the vocal separation on the LCD2 was better than on the stax, but they were both extremely good.

Hmm, the problem is I have no way to listen before I buy :frowning2:

Quote:

*face palm*

(why do I bother? I retreat, I surrender)

Redbull, the LCD2 is significantly more rolled off than the SE530 in the treble...be afraid be very afraid.  It is dark in here.  In fact, the LCD2s have no treble...like Mike in headfonia says.

Ha ha ha, thanks SP Wild, despite constant explanation, due to conflicting perceptions, I still can't get to convinced the treble is enough for me, I'll keep listening again :wink:
My lower minimum treshold is SE530.  Don't give up on me ok?  :wink:

Dec 5, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #7,208 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
And your thoughts on the sound?
biggrin.gif

evil_smiley.gif

Care to expand?

Yeah I definitely will, but the LCD-2 isn't really what I was expecting and so I want to listen to it more before I say much. 

But what has impressed me most so far is the detail, it is really extreme and almost makes me feel woozy from being presented with so much information.  I honestly keep having the feeling that my brain simply can't process so much information at once.  I think this might be the first time I have felt that a headphone is truly exposing flaws just by the sheer power of it's resolution.  It's not frequency response that brings things out, it is just the speed and accuracy of the driver.  I'm not sure I could say that no other headphone has more detail, but I do think there is more accessible detail with the LCD-2 than almost any other headphone I can remember hearing.  I believe this is because of the very flat and smooth frequency response.  Because nothing really sticks out anywhere in the spectrum, there is a wide open window and you can move freely between all the notes and detail all through from bass to treble, the closer you look the more you hear. 

In comparison, most other headphones sound like they have more "blank tones", like broader tipped marker strokes, whereas with the LCD-2 it is like millions of tiny dots, every single sound is embedded with layer after layer of detail.  I actually think there is something pleasing about both, it's kind of relaxing going to the HD600's broader strokes and listening more to tones rather than being accosted by details.  But I haven't had a chance to listen much yet. 

Dec 5, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #7,209 of 18,459
Interesting, not what you were expecting. I don't know what to expect next week. I hear/read so many different types of opinions. 

Dec 5, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #7,210 of 18,459

Quote:
Yeah I definitely will, but the LCD-2 isn't really what I was expecting and so I want to listen to it more before I say much. 

When I heard the LCD2, I had the same reaction.  I recognized that it was a high end product, but I did not like as much.  The next day, different story.  I really enjoyed it, especially any tracks with female vocals. By the time two weeks came and I shipped it to my friend, I was very sad to see it go.

These are definitely on my to buy list.  Not so much burn in time, but I think people need to take some time with these headphones to get used to it.  The only problems being the small soundstage and not being bright.  I felt the treble had enough sparkle when the track called for it, no more and no less.  Of course, ymmv.

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #7,212 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:
I think people need to take some time with these headphones to get used to it.

This is not a desirable quality IMO.

True, it is not a desirable feature.  But as humans highly adaptable, I've been trying to get my ears used to several different sound signatures.  I don't believe in golden ears, but I've been noticing details I didn't notice before in songs I thought I knew well.  Not necessarily because I have a new high-end pair of cans, but because the difference allowed my ears to pick up unnoticed nuances in cans that I'm more familiar with.

I'm glad I took the time to do it, which was purely happy chance.  If it wasn't to check it out for my friend (he couldn't be bothered with customs especially with all the build problems being posted), I would have probably never taken the time and merely written it off as a FOTM, though my wallet would have been happier for it 
tongue.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #7,214 of 18,459
Quote:
I don't think anyone was expecting the LCD to please everyone and the subdued treble is a well recognized part of the phones signature. They are still extremely resolving and fast though. I instantly loved the sound and it stayed that way.

I found they were a step below stax in that department, and they didn't really reveal anything more than my ER4S (but they had superior vocal separation).

I'm talking about pushing passages down the lower end of the spectrum way back for some odd reason and blurring particular phrases.

Other than that, it's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back