Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Dec 5, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #7,231 of 18,459

Quote:
the LCD2 is definitely very impressive and not FOTM. i am still in great wonderment that a small company with limited resources could produce such a quality headphone - one that easily competes with the mighty HD800 and Stax headphones. Someone like Sony should buy Audeze, polish up the design/materials of the LCD2 and mass produce them. it would be a huge success.

I agree. It would be a great thing to get more Audeze headphones. Particularly if they produce various flavours of headphones

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #7,232 of 18,459

absolutely not, let the small company do its thing. Every time some big company tries to buy out the little guys with the great ideas, the company goes in the toilet. Every band that was good that goes to a big major label just goes in the crapper as well. Let Audeze do its thing and keep the big companies that are COMPLETELY about money out of it. 

Quote:
Quote:
the LCD2 is definitely very impressive and not FOTM. i am still in great wonderment that a small company with limited resources could produce such a quality headphone - one that easily competes with the mighty HD800 and Stax headphones. Someone like Sony should buy Audeze, polish up the design/materials of the LCD2 and mass produce them. it would be a huge success.

I agree. It would be a great thing to get more Audeze headphones. Particularly if they produce various flavours of headphones

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #7,233 of 18,459
All this negative talk is really upsetting me. I haven't got them yet and want to read only good things, ok? Then when I get mine I can bash them.

Mr. Green, I don't want to get personal but have you thought of, . . . well, trimming your ears? Ok, Ok, I know it isn't any of my business but I have to be honest here, and that is what we are about, right?, it looks like there might be a bit of a fit problem and, I am not sure where you are, but I like stir fry. Also, well maybe just a little, off the top of your head? I just think it would be more with the times and less vege Beetle cut. Just a thought. 

So where is my tracking number! No tracking number. I watch the outboard motor boats leave the jungle shored harbor and I worry about headphones? What is wrong with me? 

The sun is rising and no tracking number. 

Ok, more opinions please, not about me but the LCD-2. I always enjoy reading that. 

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #7,234 of 18,459

Quote:

absolutely not, let the small company do its thing. Every time some big company tries to buy out the little guys with the great ideas, the company goes in the toilet. Every band that was good that goes to a big major label just goes in the crapper as well. Let Audeze do its thing and keep the big companies that are COMPLETELY about money out of it. 

Quote:
Quote:

i agree entirely, if somebody big bought them, i think the first thing they would do is hike the price, which i dont want haha

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #7,235 of 18,459
I don't understand why you are so upset Mr Green.  There are so many bright headphones out there you really have to try to find phones that are not bright.  You are looking at one of very few headphones which, whether it's rolled off or not (I do not think it is), is not bright.  I don't really see the point of an ortho being bright.  That is the biggest advantage IMO- you can get all the detail (and much more) of dynamics without the peaky treble.  But if you want peaky treble or pronounced treble, or just more treble, most headphones have it and it's not hard to find one.  Grab an HE6, or HD800 or some STAX (not O2) or T1 or any other Beyers or ATH phones or Denons or Ultrasones or Grados, etc.  I just don't see the point in seeking out one of the few headphones that is clearly not bright, and wishing it was. 

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #7,236 of 18,459

Quote:

I hope you are kidding.  Every time a large company buys the product line of a small company the quality and innovation of the product line goes to pot.  Logitech purchased Slimdevices and the transporter, its flagship product, disappeared.  They kept the lower cost items which sell in larger quantities.  They don't care about the audiophile world.  They are buying these companies to take an item, mass produce it, and make money.  This is the complete opposite approach of these smaller companies.  They are looking to produce something unique and high quality. If Sony bought Audeze, within 2 years the top of the line product would be long gone.

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #7,237 of 18,459
Many of us (including me) also own or have owned many phones including the ER4S, numerous Stax and other electrostatics, HE, K1000 and a bucket load of other upper end phones so it's not like we're not familiar with how they sound. To me the LCD 2 creams them all to one extent or another. Some of us also discount soundstage to a large degree because, simply put, headphones can't do it. Not Stax, not AKG K1000 or HD800, none I've ever heard. Some sound more spacious than others though none have ever thrown out anything I would class as soundstage. That's the realm of speakers.

They have the detail, though not always obvious or in your face. They have speed combined with power, solidity and great depth but more importantly to me is that they simply sound right to my ears. It's all very subjective and depends on how you like to hear your music and that's basically the crux of the matter here. Some love it, others not. That's to be fully expected. When something instantly clicks with you, you know it and there is no 'getting used to them' phase. Of course there is always room for improvement and I look forward to seeing what they come up with next. Are they the best phones ever? I don't care, I like them a lot and that's all that's important to me. I do prefer them to any other stock phone I've listened to that's for certain.

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #7,238 of 18,459

Quote:
Then he comes back and says he prefers his HE-5 which just happens to be a planar also.

I never said I prefer the HE-5, those are your words entirely. I said I found it more enjoyable to listen to than the other planars I have tried, and I specifically said it has as much to do with how much it weighs on my head as much as anything to do with their sound signature. Based on sound quality, I have ranked the HE-5 #5 in my collection and would have to rank the LCD-2 higher than the HE-5 as well if I still owned the LCD-2.

But when a/b'ing the two headphones the HE-5 is like a breath of fresh air to me after the physical weight and sound congestion of the LCD-2, and I also find the HE-5 more "fun" to listen to than my HE-6 even though I have ranked the HE-6 higher on SQ.

All I did was agree with a couple of reviews that you guys disagree with, find another bandwagon to jump on!

Quote:
Quote:
If anybody missed it, Larry the Headphone Addict concurred with Mike's revised impressions of the LCD-2. I also agree with them, after spending some quality time with both the LCD-2 and the HE-6. They both do some things very well but they also have issues, albeit different ones.

Mike's last comment, "I think the problem with planars, so far, is that the very short transients, though very articulate, sometimes doesn't sound natural." was particularly relevant to my experience with both of them.

In fact my HE-5, while it isn't as proficient as the LCD-2 and HE-6 in some areas, is the more enjoyable headphone to me than the other two because it doesn't have as many glaring deficiencies. It also weighs a lot less on my head.

This is a completely meaningless statement, and succinctly expresses the reviewer's ignorance. Having said that, I have no quarrel with his opinion, even though I don't share it.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

So because the reviewer doesn't find the headphone to sound natural his statement is meaningless and he is ignorant? That's a pretty trollish comment for a mod/admin, especially without any explanation IMO. Perhaps you could share with us your reasoning in insulting this reviewer by articulating why his statement reflects ignorance, then your insults would at least make some sense.

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #7,239 of 18,459

Quote:
I don't understand why you are so upset Mr Green.  There are so many bright headphones out there you really have to try to find phones that are not bright.  You are looking at one of very few headphones which, whether it's rolled off or not (I do not think it is), is not bright.  I don't really see the point of an ortho being bright.  That is the biggest advantage IMO- you can get all the detail (and much more) of dynamics without the peaky treble.  But if you want peaky treble or pronounced treble, or just more treble, most headphones have it and it's not hard to find one.  Grab an HE6, or HD800 or some STAX (not O2) or T1 or any other Beyers or ATH phones or Denons or Ultrasones or Grados, etc.  I just don't see the point in seeking out one of the few headphones that is clearly not bright, and wishing it was. 

X2. I pull a veto on a bright LCD-3 :wink:

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #7,240 of 18,459
I think, and I hope Kevin will correct me if I am wrong, that he was saying it makes no sense to say that the headphone has transients that are too fast and that this makes it sound unnatural. I agree that this does not make sense. You can't have transients that are too quick. You can have them be accurate, or they can be too slow, but they can't be faster than the actual recording - that indeed does not make sense.

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #7,241 of 18,459
Ok, I got my tracking number, now where are they? Doggone island life. :^)Soon I will be joining the ranks of the nayers or yeahers or inbetweeners. Hey is Palin can make up words and get them into a dictionary I should be able to. 

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #7,242 of 18,459
Is anyone actually listening to music with the LCD-2 just for the sake of pleasure/relaxation on this thread or is nearly everyone who posts here just too busy picking apart each and every little thing.

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #7,243 of 18,459
I have to wait to get mine to pick them apart. Geez, give me a chance. :^)

I am using my Ultrasone Ed. 9 and HD650's balanced right now. Oh the suffering, the suffering. Oh, and while using them, I listen to music!

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #7,244 of 18,459
Quote:

Um, I'm merely contributing to the thread. You know, diversity of opinion is a good thing.

I've put any desire to own these headphones away, because I hate them. I've already gone looking for Stax.

RE: the detail. If we want to play the measurements card, the impulse response of the headphones suggests that they will have timing problems compared to the HD800 (which performs better in this regard).

But of course, measurements aren't everything.

Quote:
You are looking at one of very few headphones which, whether it's rolled off or not (I do not think it is)

You'd have to be easily wrong there. By Tyll's measurements, anyway.

I don't understand why you're so upset that I do not like these headphones, but feel the desire to provide my input on the matter.

Quote:
Skylab said:

I think, and I hope Kevin will correct me if I am wrong, that he was saying it makes no sense to say that the headphone has transients that are too fast and that this makes it sound unnatural. I agree that this does not make sense. You can't have transients that are too quick. You can have them be accurate, or they can be too slow, but they can't be faster than the actual recording - that indeed does not make sense.

Exactly right. There are other issues (phase problems), that might occur, but the LCD-2 seems to measure well in that department for the lower end of the spectrum (where it's most important, I suppose). Regardless, transients is a bit of an odd issue when speakers frequently move at 20khz or higher (of course it's a little more complex than that)..

Quote:
smeggy said:

Many of us (including me) also own or have owned many phones including the ER4S, numerous Stax and other electrostatics, HE, K1000 and a bucket load of other upper end phones so it's not like we're not familiar with how they sound. To me the LCD 2 creams them all to one extent or another. Some of us also discount soundstage to a large degree because, simply put, headphones can't do it. Not Stax, not AKG K1000 or HD800, none I've ever heard. Some sound more spacious than others though none have ever thrown out anything I would class as soundstage. That's the realm of speakers.

Cool, a post directed at me.

a. I never said you haven't, I merely provided them as examples of headphones I prefer
b. That's great that you like the LCD2. I do not.
c. I also discount soundstage size, in fact, I've made several threads about it - and even mentioned it in this thread (how I prefer the LCD2 soundstage to the HD800).

What's really upsetting is the attitude many head-fi members have when someone doesn't like your favourite headphone.

It's been like this for a long time now.

It's really no wonder that cables are considered legitimate upgrades by so many when, within reason, there is no explanation for any difference in physics (and cables have not been double blind tested), because of this pack mentality that hordes on like-mindedness and shuns those with a difference in opinion.

I need a break from head-fi because of this mentality. Hopefully it changes in the future (not holding my breath).

Enjoy your thread. I hope for a day where some of the senior members of head-fi can start acting their age.

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #7,245 of 18,459
I've read this thread in it's entirety, MrGreen, and you haven't really contributed anything, other than a terrible avatar. You've made your point I quoted below....LONG ago. You hate these phones. You love the stax.  Instead of letting your hate for these phones fester inside of you, maybe you should focus on your love of other phones and go post in those threads instead. Seriously it will help with the ulcers.

To try and stay somewhat on topic: I pre-ordered these on Nov. 5th, do you guys think I'll be getting 'The Email' this week sometime. Most of the guys that got it last week had pre-ordered at the end of October. Thanks.

-Daniel

Quote:
Quote:
Um, I'm merely contributing to the thread. You know, diversity of opinion is a good thing.

I've put any desire to own these headphones away, because I hate them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back