Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 8, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #13,651 of 18,459
I think Audeze already offered the only trade-in they intend to with the June buyers which was pretty good considering they didn't even have to do that.  Beyond that, it's the used market for the rest of us as jax suggested.

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #13,653 of 18,459
wow the drama and science in this thread is fantastic! ive got the rev1, guess ill just wait for LCD-3
wink_face.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #13,654 of 18,459
YES YES YES - 

I was home in the UK this Xmas - the coldest winter EVER - and found no LOVE from audio shops - even in London's famous 
hi-fi area at Farringdon (though I did find some HD650 and HD800s hanging around - also some Grados)

better to buy online these days anyway - and I always buy from the manufacturer direct - so I can trust the product. The UK is not even good for CDs anymore - no borders etc...all closed down - online is the way to go now - I'm afraid...

Quote:
after reading last few pages i really want to try the rev2 now...

why oh why there are no high-end audio shops in UK ?!

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #13,655 of 18,459
Wow, I go to bed and wake up to another 59 posts!
Interesting reading of which all confirms my decision to stay with the LCD rev1's. my hearing is not like anyone elses nor theirs like mine so we all hear things differently which I think we tend to forget. I personally would not want any more detail and treble than I already have with the rev ones.

Comparing the to my J$ padded Denon D5000's and all the other phones I have heard over the years all that veil stuff was lifted completely (remember, for my ears!). As it is I can easily tell between gut, nylon and metal strings on instruments, can tell if drumsticks are naked or have the plastic coating on the tips. I Can feel the breath of a singers voice inhaling between phrases and can hear the finger hit the string of a double bass as it is plucked, all with the so called veiled and dark v1!

All at the same time as giving me an analog warm feel that makes me relax into the music and forget about listening to those said details and get on with all the other good stuff! Just reminding folks that sometimes we don't actually need more detail. If some find more detail equates to a better listening experience then they are right. For others, like myself my listening experience is right!

Just remember that when reading this thread and all the reviews, both my thoughts and the thoughts of folks who like the sound the other way. What I am afraid of is the usual headfi/HiFi thing that I used to succumb to that everything new has to be better than what came before. Sometimes it is just different, not better, not worse, just different and all you have to figure out is does that difference matter or appeal to you and make your choice from there.

I have personally experienced and also witnessed in over thirty years of HiFi buying upgrading because there is another ounce of detail to be got only to then realize I am not enjoying the music as much as I did with my last component. I now have to admit I used to justify that difference so as to feel good about spending money I need not have and changing a component I should have left well alone and just spent the money instead on music!

Anyway, just a tale to tell so others don't have to go down the foolish and expensive path as I did. Boring old fart I know but there it is! Think how much extra your getting and then think, do I need it and does it justify several hundred dollars in loss of money selling my original pair then all the hassle of re ordering and then getting used to a new sound when you were only a week or two before revelling in the sound of the original pair...

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #13,656 of 18,459
The safest way to be sure is to collect them all! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #13,657 of 18,459
Good advice.  I must admit that if my cans fells within the June 1 to 30th time frame I would have sent them back for the newer driver.  Past couple days I've been contemplating selling then buying a new pair.  But, in the end, I like what I got and there is a bunch of music purchases I have been delaying so that's what I'll be doing this weekend.  Supporting and listening to artists.

It is a foolish path, not that upgrading or side-grading is a bad thing, just a thing that happens more frequently than maybe it should.  I know for myself with my other hobbies like photography and shakuhachi that when first starting out it's all about the equipment.  Then your guru is like kicking your butt with a practice flute or a busted camera.  So, good reminders, Ian.  I still want to hear the rev2 reviews and I think I'll be able to fight this upgraditis storm.  

Quote:
I have personally experienced and also witnessed in over thirty years of HiFi buying upgrading because there is another ounce of detail to be got only to then realize I am not enjoying the music as much as I did with my last component. I now have to admit I used to justify that difference so as to feel good about spending money I need not have and changing a component I should have left well alone and just spent the money instead on music!
Anyway, just a tale to tell so others don't have to go down the foolish and expensive path as I did. Boring old fart I know but there it is! Think how much extra your getting and then think, do I need it and does it justify several hundred dollars in loss of money selling my original pair then all the hassle of re ordering and then getting used to a new sound when you were only a week or two before revelling in the sound of the original pair...

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #13,658 of 18,459
20 hours on Rev2's and still going strong!!

I sold my Schitt Asgard and AKG 702's and now am looking for another amp.

Looking at these three:

1. Schitt Lyr
2. Meir Concerto
3. HA160

Yes I know there is a seperate amp thread...but all the action seems to be here!!

Any suggestions, comments?

Thanks
Alex

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #13,660 of 18,459
Good advice.  I must admit that if my cans fells within the June 1 to 30th time frame I would have sent them back for the newer driver.  Past couple days I've been contemplating selling then buying a new pair.  But, in the end, I like what I got and there is a bunch of music purchases I have been delaying so that's what I'll be doing this weekend.  Supporting and listening to artists.

It is a foolish path, not that upgrading or side-grading is a bad thing, just a thing that happens more frequently than maybe it should.  I know for myself with my other hobbies like photography and shakuhachi that when first starting out it's all about the equipment.  Then your guru is like kicking your butt with a practice flute or a busted camera.  So, good reminders, Ian.  I still want to hear the rev2 reviews and I think I'll be able to fight this upgraditis storm.  

Thanks mate. I have had the same experience as you with Camera's as well, it is a good analogy I think. In the end it is all about the music after all. I went to my local secondhand CD store yesterday and got some jems which have already been burned lossless and on the classic Solo last night being enjoyed. If your ever up in BC Vancouver has some great indie music stores!

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #13,661 of 18,459
It's very sad, I've lived in Washington state for 10 years and haven't been to BC Vancouver yet.  Good to know you can still get CDs.  I think Silver Platters is really the last major CD chain around here.  

Quote:
Thanks mate. I have had the same experience as you with Camera's as well, it is a good analogy I think. In the end it is all about the music after all. I went to my local secondhand CD store yesterday and got some jems which have already been burned lossless and on the classic Solo last night being enjoyed. If your ever up in BC Vancouver has some great indie music stores!

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #13,662 of 18,459
It's very sad, I've lived in Washington state for 10 years and haven't been to BC Vancouver yet.  Good to know you can still get CDs.  I think Silver Platters is really the last major CD chain around here.  

Well, if you ever make it up here I would be more than happy to show you around. Here are are a few of what we have to entice you up. Heck I will even buy you a coffee! :D

http://www.vinylrecords.ca/

http://www.zulurecords.com/

http://www.redcat.ca/

http://neptoon.com/blog1/

http://www.audiopile.com/

And that is not counting a few other used CD stores in the downtown core!

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #13,664 of 18,459
Quote:
20 hours on Rev2's and still going strong!!

I sold my Schitt Asgard and AKG 702's and now am looking for another amp.

Looking at these three:

1. Schitt Lyr
2. Meir Concerto
3. HA160

Yes I know there is a seperate amp thread...but all the action seems to be here!!

Any suggestions, comments?

Thanks
Alex

Quote:
PS Audio - Auditor -would be a very neutral amp - allowing the audeze LCD-2 sound sig to remain in tact

The Lavry DA10 and DA11 are also very neutral DAC/Amps, though I've only heard the DA11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back