Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 8, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #13,636 of 18,459
No worries. We're happy for any first impressions. You need to spend real time with them to do a proper comparison, and we did kind of put you on the spot.
atsmile.gif

Quote:
I guess I should also add that as I was analyzing the sound and looking for differences between the V1 and V2 cans, the sound struck me as a subtle enhancement.  Later, when I just sat back and listened to music for enjoyment, I just kept saying "Wow!".

That's what I meant by jaw-dropping; not a night and day difference, but the fact that I could tell there was a difference at all.  Does that make more sense?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #13,637 of 18,459
Quote:
I would put it this way; for those who use words like fear and hate when discussing treble, you're going to have to put up with more treble extension in the rev2. But you also get better mids and better bass extension which is also tighter. As with all things, a slight trade-off. Do I miss my rev1's? Yes. Would I go back to rev1 and give up rev2? No. I've heard too much. Literally. Will I try to acquire a rev1 again at some point? Maybe.

Hmmmmm, food for thought. I am at the proverbial crossroads :¬)

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #13,638 of 18,459
Quote:
No worries. We're happy for any first impressions. You need to spend real time with them to do a proper comparison, and we did kind of put you on the spot.
atsmile.gif

It was pretty much self-inflicted...I advertised the fact that I would have both at the same time and was willing to post my impressions.  The difficult part in this case is the fact that the differences aren't that drastic.
Definitely not AKG vs. Grado vs. Sennheiser...
tongue.gif

-HK sends

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #13,639 of 18,459
Quote:

Impressions aside, I think the V1/V2 sound quality issues will be a matter of debate for some time to come...at least 90 more pages, then Audez'e and the hamsters will rule the world. 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

P.S. - I agree with a previous post...can someone please make a LCD-2 smiley?

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #13,640 of 18,459
Wow, that's quite a first post! 

Do you have a lot of experience with LCD-2's? 

My own personal experiences is like many who've responded here:  After 100's of hours I heard virtually no change after burn-in in any of the frequency spectrum on the LCD-2's.  I don't think they are remotely as vulnerable to burn-in as traditional dynamic drivers are.  The differences I've heard on occasion with dynamic drivers in both headphones and speakers over the first 100-300 hours has been quite distinctive in contrast. 

Can you elaborate further on what you've posted, and I hope I'm understanding you correctly, that what comes out of headphones has nothing to do with the truth? 

By the way, I don't think there are many "professional" reviewers among us here.  The vast majority are hobbyist just trying to share their enthusiasm for their hobby as best they can.  "Professional" implies someone who makes a living / a profit from doing something.  I don't think "professionalism" is expected by anyone here.  Perhaps you were looking for the word, "Objective"? I don't know.  If so, I don't think you're going to get much of that in this hobby either. 

Quote:
Hello folks,

i´m just wondering when i read this long thread about how unprofessional some goes up with the thematic Headphone. When i read something like : "I heard my headphone only at night because of disturbing no one else and if there is no one to disturb i heard of course speakers!!!

I think thats ok but People who think so please don´t write tests on headphones!!!! You don´t recognize the essential about headphone and what cames out has realy nothing to do with the trues. 

Now i read hear from persons who get the rev.2 and brings them immediately  in comparison to the rev.1.

What kind of professionality is this?

I can understand that all are curiosity but don´t forget to be professionel.

The LCD-2 needs for completly burn in at least around 200 hours.

Only then we can make a right and fair comparison.

The Rev.1 for example lost his "light capped" midrange i think at 180 to 200 hrs. and reach his fabulous open sounding.

So i hope you will do it right and burn in your rev. 2  before bringing in comparison.

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #13,641 of 18,459
Keep in mind my very neutral rig. I keep bringing that up, because my creamier rev1 experience was on a portable RSA amp (but with the D1 dac). I never got to try Rev1 with the Peak.

Quote:

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #13,642 of 18,459
I would have thought to keep a neutral amp when using the LCD-2 to enjoy the darkness of the phones...the Auditor may do nicely

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #13,643 of 18,459

Well, you're probably good enough, but unfortunately people like me, who never found the treble distant, dull or missing anything, are just as mystified as before.

I find the whole Head-Fi thing a mystery, to be honest. To me all the popular phones--K702, DT880, D2000, etc, etc--were way too bright They bore no relationship to live sound, and the number of people who loved them was irrelevant to that simple fact. When I discovered the HD595 first, then the HD650, I thought both had a very natural balance. However, they were so often labelled "boring" and "veiled" that I began to wonder why my ears seemed so unaligned to everyone else's. Then the LCD-2 came along and seemed supremely lifelike, if just a little bright at first. The brightness has diminished, maybe from burn-in, and now the balance seems ideal, a little concert hall around my head. I certainly wouldn't want them any brighter, not even a smidgen, so talk of "recessed" highs being brought forward so that now some or other frequencies are no longer "missing", of the treble being brought up to the level of the bass and midrange, leaves me completely baffled. Was it never at the level of the bass and midrange but I just imagined it was? Were all those people who reviewed it and called it the best headphone they'd ever heard just being kind and overlooking this obvious imbalance? I'm not being sarcastic; I'd really like to understand why so many people hear what seems to me a supremely naturally balanced headphone as dull, shelved and missing frequencies. Sometimes when I read things like that I put the phones back on and look for the most testing music I can find in an effort to hear these missing frequencies, these shelved highs, but no, they totally allude me; the balance I hear is what my aural memory of many live concerts tells me is correct.  

Anyway, at least I don't have to worry about Rev.2 as nothing I'm reading about it, save for the improved headband, tempts me in any way. However, if they could come up with a Rev 3 that shaved a quarter kilo off the weight then I might be interested.   

Sounds like something in your audio chain is making everything bright you may want to take a look at your components and see which one is causing it.

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #13,644 of 18,459
Quote:
Keep in mind my very neutral rig. I keep bringing that up, because my creamier rev1 experience was on a portable RSA amp (but with the D1 dac). I never got to try Rev1 with the Peak.

Ah yes, good point, thanks for the reminder.

The 160D is a warmer DAC/amplifier, which might not highlight the top end as much as your own.

It may in fact be a perfect partner for revision 2s :¬)

This thread will easily hit 1000 pages, amazing headphones with much to discuss with all these tweaks and revisions :¬)

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #13,645 of 18,459

Quote:
I wonder if Audeze will offer a trade-in program for end users to have theirs retrofitted, like say $200 for the drivers and another $100 for the headband plus shipping both ways of course. They rolled out a retrofit program for their retailers so it could happen.

It would also give the an opportunity to spread the hamsters throughout the headphone world, along with the nuclear growth hormone in those bogus bags of silicone beads, so world domination would potentially arrive at an earlier date for Alex and Sankar.

If you are wanting those terms of trade-in, all you would need to do is sell your pair for $750 on the used market and you'd pretty much be adding exactly what you suggested on top of what you charged for the used ones to get a new pair.  And you'd get the hamster too. 

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #13,646 of 18,459
Quote:
Wow, that's quite a first post! 

Do you have a lot of experience with LCD-2's? 

My own personal experiences is like many who've responded here:  After 100's of hours I heard virtually no change after burn-in in any of the frequency spectrum on the LCD-2's.  I don't think they are remotely as vulnerable to burn-in as traditional dynamic drivers are.  The differences I've heard on occasion with dynamic drivers in both headphones and speakers over the first 100-300 hours has been quite distinctive in contrast. 

Can you elaborate further on what you've posted, and I hope I'm understanding you correctly, that what comes out of headphones has nothing to do with the truth? 

By the way, I don't think there are many "professional" reviewers among us here.  The vast majority are hobbyist just trying to share their enthusiasm for their hobby as best they can.  "Professional" implies someone who makes a living / a profit from doing something.  I don't think "professionalism" is expected by anyone here.  Perhaps you were looking for the word, "Objective"? I don't know.  If so, I don't think you're going to get much of that in this hobby either. 

True enough.  That's why these posts are about our "impressions".  I know I am not a professional reviewer, because if I was, then God help the professionals... 
wink_face.gif

I'm just somebody that enjoys the hobby and tries to pass on my impressions of what I hear to others, knowing full well that their experiences could be different than mine.
That's why I always caveat with In My Humble Opinion (IMHO) and Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV).

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

P.S. - Here's a good intellectual exercise: Qualitatively define "Lush", "Warm", "Dry", "Sibilant" and "Recessed"...Now, get 10 people to agree they are hearing the same thing at the same level.
That's why impressions vary and you need a number of them.  Don't go exclusively by mine. 

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #13,647 of 18,459
Quote:
It would also give the an opportunity to spread the hamsters throughout the headphone world, along with the nuclear growth hormone in those bogus bags of silicone beads, so world domination would potentially arrive at an earlier date for Alex and Sankar.

If you are wanting those terms of trade-in, all you would need to do is sell your pair for $750 on the used market and you'd pretty much be adding exactly what you suggested on top of what you charged for the used ones to get a new pair.  And you'd get the hamster too. 

Aww, NUTS!!  I knew I wasn't supposed to eat them for some reason. 
biggrin.gif

-HK sends

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #13,648 of 18,459
If I'm not mistaken HK, jax was directing that post towards the person who chimed in about it not being professional due to having not burnt the revision 2s in (which would indicate they hadn't even used them), rather than your own feedback, which has been very helpful :¬)

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #13,649 of 18,459
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken HK, jax was directing that post towards the person who chimed in about it not being professional due to having not burnt the revision 2s in (which would indicate they hadn't even used them), rather than your own feedback, which has been very helpful :¬)

You're right, I was just piggy-backing on what jax said to "oldcow".  It just seemed better to add to jax's post than to reply directly.

Sorry if I caused any misunderstanding...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back