Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 8, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #13,621 of 18,459
Not really. Different cans respond differently to burn-in. On the other hand- I've heard of people who actually enjoy their cans less after the burn in signature shift. If I remember correctly it was about Grados getting more tame after burn in.

Quote:
Burn-in a myth...

Damn, some thread you have got going there guys. A pitty that there isn't a LCD-2 near me to audition. The head-phile scene in baltics is really small.

P.S. Which one of you bought it for the looks? Be honest!

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #13,622 of 18,459
Quote:
And by that you mean that pp312 is much younger than HK_Sends?

Well, I am an old fart... 
wink_face.gif

Quote:

I think it just depends on what you use as the reference point, and what stuff they're listening to.

I've had the Stax O2's for a while now, and the very first moment I heard the LCD-2's I couldn't help but think that the LCD-2's sound signature walked along the same relaxed clarity path.

Imaging aside, there is next to no difference in terms of tonality between the two, but I couldn't help but notice something peculiar about the treble. In terms of volume, there's no problem at all, but there was a strange hazyness to the LCD-2's treble. I'm not sure what it is but I feel that the treble is somewhat slightly out of focus. Nothing sounds missing at all because it's all there, and the differences were only apparent when I ping ponged between the two extensively.

Anyway, the rev.1 LCD-2 was an absolute ripper of a headphone, but from some of the impressions of the rev. 2, it sounds like they've got the treble in focus now.

Actually, that may be a more accurate way to describe it than what I came up with...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #13,623 of 18,459
I personally dun believe in burning in. Actually I recently start not to believe in amping headphone either.  Well maybe I am wrong.

IMO headphone will sound just like what they are, u like it, then u like it, if u dun, u never will no matter how u amp it or burn it in.

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #13,624 of 18,459
Many of us bought them without ever auditioning them. Sadly, I've done all my audio gear this way, and I'm 20 minutes from NYC.  Like, WarriorAnt, I only go out when they make me. And if you don't like them, I don't think you'll have a problem selling them. 

Quote:
Not really. Different cans respond differently to burn-in. On the other hand- I've heard of people who actually enjoy their cans less after the burn in signature shift. If I remember correctly it was about Grados getting more tame after burn in.

Damn, some thread you have got going there guys. A pitty that there isn't a LCD-2 near me to audition. The head-phile scene in baltics is really small.

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #13,625 of 18,459
The problem is they don't sound like themselves without amping, but I guess that too can be subjecive. I couldn't imagine plugging these directly into my mac. It sounded horrible when I tried with the HD650. 

Quote:
I personally dun believe in burning in. Actually I recently start not to believe in amping headphone either.  Well maybe I am wrong.

IMO headphone will sound just like what they are, u like it, then u like it, if u dun, u never will no matter how u amp it or burn it in.

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #13,626 of 18,459
Quote:
Hey nice review Hk.

I am still a lil bit lost though. Maybe I hv 2 do the same thing as u
rolleyes.gif
 to actually compare them myself.

That bass thing got me really interested, But I am not sure if I can live with that treble thing.

I understand why ppl say abt that V shape sound.  It sounds like the sound signiature is leaning towards to D7000's, more bass, more treble.

So do you experience more sibilance?

No, I didn't.  However, as I said, since the treble is more forward, it is a bit jarring at first so I could easily understand why someone could think they were sibilant.  Sibilance makes me cringe, the treble here just made my jaw drop.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #13,627 of 18,459
Not to discredit your opinions HK since you are the only one so far who has both, but I think we do need a few more comparisons!

It's quite amusing how your descriptions vary from "subtle enhancement" to "jaw dropping".
tongue.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #13,628 of 18,459

Quote:

Thank you for your review efforts thus far, KH. Would you be so kind as to listen to this track again with the Rev 1's with a critical ear, just to be sure that you can't hear these details with them?

Increased soundstage and tighter bass has me interested in going to Rev 2's, although like many, I'm scared of treble :¬)

I did.  the details are not as prominent and blend together a little more with the V1.  Remember, this isn't a night and day difference, but I would definitely say the faster diaphragm on the V2s makes a difference.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #13,629 of 18,459
Quote:
Not to discredit your opinions HK since you are the only one so far who has both, but I think we do need a few more comparisons!

It's quite amusing how your descriptions vary from "subtle enhancement" to "jaw dropping".
tongue.gif

I agree completely.  I am not the best at describing sound qualitatively.  The "jaw dropping" part was when I was listening to a track from "Fresh Aire 3" that I know very well.  I have listened to it plenty of times with my V1 cans.  As I listened to it again with the V2s I got chills and goosebumps over the difference in sound quality.  That, to me, is jaw dropping.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #13,630 of 18,459
I would put it this way; for those who use words like fear and hate when discussing treble, you're going to have to put up with more treble extension in the rev2. But you also get better mids and better bass extension which is also tighter. As with all things, a slight trade-off. Do I miss my rev1's? Yes. Would I go back to rev1 and give up rev2? No. I've heard too much. Literally. Will I try to acquire a rev1 again at some point? Maybe.

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #13,631 of 18,459
Quote:
Burn-in a myth...

Now, now...no comments specifically designed to generate intense debate and mud-slinging... 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Same here. I never noticed a difference before or after 150+ hours burn-in time with either the rev1 or the rev2. Your listening sophistication will improve thanks to LCD-2's sonics and its ability to engage you, and your appreciation will heighten as a result.

Out of all the headphones I have owned, the LCD-2s seemed to need the least (if any) burn-in.  AKGs and Beyers the most, my old Grado HF-2s second, these a distant third...

Quote:

It was one of my motivating factors. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

My experience is different concerning burn-in (but I don't want to start a debate).  As for amping, consider this:  any sound coming out of a source that isn't digital (i.e. *Pod, etc.) has been amped in some way to reach the specified output level of the device.  All you are doing is adding power and amplitude to the signal when you amp it.  Some headphones require the increase in power to fully realize their capabilities.  If you listened to a 600 ohm set of headphones verses a 32 ohm set of headphones, you'll understand that you would have to turn the volume up considerably more to get the same sound level as the 32 ohm headphones.  Increasing the volume is amping.
smile.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #13,632 of 18,459
I forgot add:
To the rest, those that are fine with treble or indifferent, you're getting a slightly better headphone is the rev2. ALL IMHO of course. 

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #13,633 of 18,459
How can we LCD-2 owners be expected to gauge burn-in? Don't you have to put them down for a while and come back to them to gauge burn-in? We listen straight through the burn-in period. 
o2smile.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #13,634 of 18,459
Quote:
How can we LCD-2 owners be expected to gauge burn-in? Don't you have to put them down for a while and come back to them to gauge burn-in? We listen straight through the burn-in period. 
o2smile.gif

True!  I never wanted to just let the phones burn-in with out putting them on and listening...I think I'm burned-in too. 
wink_face.gif

-HK sends

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #13,635 of 18,459
Quote:

tongue.gif

I guess I should also add that as I was analyzing the sound and looking for differences between the V1 and V2 cans, the sound struck me as a subtle enhancement.  Later, when I just sat back and listened to music for enjoyment, I just kept saying "Wow!".

That's what I meant by jaw-dropping; not a night and day difference, but the fact that I could tell there was a difference at all.  Does that make more sense?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back