Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #13,666 of 18,459
Sorry, multiple postings one after the other but again I wanted to remind folks. Whichever driver you have we still have what could be termed the finest headphones out there (yes I know the new Stax are out now but look at the substantial cost involved for the sonic improvements, Jude has already stated you need at least another 5K to get the very best out of them so that for me makes what Audeze have done an even more incredible achivement.

All that sonic goodness and they still managed perfect customer support. Sorry, I know I sound like a fanboi but at least with this company and these headphones there is a real and grounded foundation for being one :D

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #13,667 of 18,459
Well put, Ian.

It's a different situation for those with the option to exchange (purchased in June) however, as there is the potential for some "improvements" at no additional cost/effort. As long as these improvements meet one's subjective preferences, of course :¬)

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #13,668 of 18,459
I wonder what the Gizmodo release will be? I'm thinking free hamster vouchers.
wink_face.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #13,669 of 18,459
Well put, Ian.

It's a different situation for those with the option to exchange (purchased in June) however, as there is the potential for some improvements at no additional cost/effort. As long as these improvements meet one's subjective prefences, of course :¬)

Well put Yoga.

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #13,670 of 18,459
Quote:
Well, you're probably good enough, but unfortunately people like me, who never found the treble distant, dull or missing anything, are just as mystified as before.

I find the whole Head-Fi thing a mystery, to be honest. To me all the popular phones--K702, DT880, D2000, etc, etc--were way too bright.  They bore no relationship to live sound, and the number of people who loved them was irrelevant to that simple fact. When I discovered the HD595 first, then the HD650, I thought both had a very natural balance. However, they were so often labelled "boring" and "veiled" that I began to wonder why my ears seemed so unaligned to everyone else's. Then the LCD-2 came along and seemed supremely lifelike, if just a little bright at first. The brightness has diminished, maybe from burn-in, and now the balance seems ideal, a little concert hall around my head. I certainly wouldn't want them any brighter, not even a smidgen, so talk of "recessed" highs being brought forward so that now some or other frequencies are no longer "missing", of the treble being brought up to the level of the bass and midrange, leaves me completely baffled. Was it never at the level of the bass and midrange but I just imagined it was? Were all those people who reviewed it and called it the best headphone they'd ever heard just being kind and overlooking this obvious imbalance? I'm not being sarcastic; I'd really like to understand why so many people hear what seems to me a supremely naturally balanced headphone as dull, shelved and missing frequencies. Sometimes when I read things like that I put the phones back on and look for the most testing music I can find in an effort to hear these missing frequencies, these shelved highs, but no, they totally allude me; the balance I hear is what my aural memory of many live concerts tells me is correct.  

Anyway, at least I don't have to worry about Rev.2 as nothing I'm reading about it, save for the improved headband, tempts me in any way. However, if they could come up with a Rev 3 that shaved a quarter kilo off the weight then I might be interested.   

Treble attenuates faster than low frequencies.

There's a reason why a musician wouldn't put a mike down back in row 37, way off in the left wing in a recording situation. 

I'm baffled myself, because you're modest about your own hearing, but also implying others are hearing things wrong.

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #13,671 of 18,459
I really enjoy the reviews and in depth description of the sound of the LCD 2s, unfortunately I find that I am unable to match this description by the medium of the written (typed) word, and TBH Im not sure my old ears are up to the job, since these superb headphones were recommended to me by Ian (ianmedium) I have listened in awe to them, I still find my description of their sound as bit of a let down, but here goes anyway.

Wow.......................see what I mean? a bit lame, I'll try again.

Wow!!!!!!!!!

[size=xx-large][size=xx-small]Thats better.[/size][/size]

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #13,673 of 18,459

Quote:
I really enjoy the reviews and in depth description of the sound of the LCD 2s, unfortunately I find that I am unable to match this description by the medium of the written (typed) word, and TBH Im not sure my old ears are up to the job, since these superb headphones were recommended to me by Ian (ianmedium) I have listened in awe to them, I still find my description of their sound as bit of a let down, but here goes anyway.

Wow.......................see what I mean? a bit lame, I'll try again.

Wow!!!!!!!!!

[size=xx-large][size=xx-small]Thats better.[/size][/size]

Sometimes that's all you need to describe something. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #13,674 of 18,459

Quote:
How can we LCD-2 owners be expected to gauge burn-in? Don't you have to put them down for a while and come back to them to gauge burn-in? We listen straight through the burn-in period. 
o2smile.gif

Since nobody has mentioned it, I will remind you all that Audeze already burns the LCD-2's in extensively now:

"Before Shipping we have now added a long burn in test on every headphone with Pink Noise at average level of 95 dB."

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...can someone please make a LCD-2 smiley?

A commemorative smiley for 1,000 pages of immortality, perhaps a hamster wearing them?

Quote:
I would have thought to keep a neutral amp when using the LCD-2 to enjoy the darkness of the phones...the Auditor may do nicely

I don't think the Auditor fared too well with the rev.1 in the LCD-2 amp thread...

Quote:
after reading last few pages i really want to try the rev2 now...

why oh why there are no high-end audio shops in UK ?!

Audeze dealer in the UK:

Decent Audio
Castlegate Mill
Quayside rd
Stockton on Tees
TS18 1BZ, UK
Phone: +44-1642267012
Email: info@decentaudio.co.uk

Quote:
20 hours on Rev2's and still going strong!!

I sold my Schitt Asgard and AKG 702's and now am looking for another amp.

Looking at these three:

1. Schitt Lyr
2. Meir Concerto
3. HA160

Yes I know there is a seperate amp thread...but all the action seems to be here!!

Any suggestions, comments?

Thanks
Alex

I would vote for the HA-160 out of those 3, esp. with the rev.2.

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #13,675 of 18,459
From the newish Stax flagship thread:

"[size=10pt]SR-009 is a new high polymer ultra-thin film material called super engineering plastics, that is reinforced and much thinner than conventional engineered plastics."[/size]

I wonder how close that material is to the material used in the LCD2.1's new drivers:

"The Audeze LCD-2 uses a proprietary thin film diaphragm that is housed between a unique super efficient push-pull magnetic structure."

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #13,676 of 18,459
From the newish Stax flagship thread:

"[size=10pt]SR-009 is a new high polymer ultra-thin film material called super engineering plastics, that is reinforced and much thinner than conventional engineered plastics."[/size]

I wonder how close that material is to the material used in the LCD2.1's new drivers:

"The Audeze LCD-2 uses a proprietary thin film diaphragm that is housed between a unique super efficient push-pull magnetic structure."

Unrelated similarities I gather. :cool:

Anyways, has anyone noticed that the product section and the online shop of the Audeze website have been inaccessible for the past 12 hours or so?

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #13,679 of 18,459

Quote:
Can you elaborate further on what you've posted, and I hope I'm understanding you correctly, that what comes out of headphones has nothing to do with the truth?  

bebbbbecausehddddddffdddbecause jdjdjdjddcvv

No you don´t understand me correctly. Sorry for my poor english. I mean what came out of the people... or better what people writes who thinks speakers betters headphones easily has nothing to do with the truth.

Again for break in time :

People who not hear differences between a new out of the box LCD-2 and one that has hundrets of hours playtime writes about differences from rev 1 to rev 2.  That is very funny...

I have no problem with the fact that People doesn´t hear something but i have a Problem with People they think:  I can´t hear anything and so of course there isn´t anything.

The worst part on this is that People who don´t hear anything writes all the time anything because they think they know anything.  

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #13,680 of 18,459

Quote:
bebbbbecausehddddddffdddbecause jdjdjdjddcvv

No you don´t understand me correctly. Sorry for my poor english. I mean what came out of the people... or better what people writes who thinks speakers betters headphones easily has nothing to do with the truth.

Again for break in time :

People who not hear differences between a new out of the box LCD-2 and one that has hundrets of hours playtime writes about differences from rev 1 to rev 2.  That is very funny...

I have no problem with the fact that People doesn´t hear something but i have a Problem with People they think:  I can´t hear anything and so of course there isn´t anything.

The worst part on this is that People who don´t hear anything writes all the time anything because they think they know anything.  

I think that you are certainly hearing things oldcow:

"Before Shipping we have now added a long burn in test on every headphone with Pink Noise at average level of 95 dB."

It's more likely to be your brain's psychoacoustics adapting to the headphone than any change in the headphone itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back