Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Nov 14, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #6,601 of 18,459
Nov 14, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #6,602 of 18,459
If you're curious about custom cables, I say choose your favorite vendor and buy one, and return if you don't like the results -- avoid anyone w/ a restocking fee and you'll only be out ~20 for the cost of shipping to and back, and you'll never have to agonize over whether it would have made your setup better or not.  Personally I've had the chance to try some of ALO's custom cables at meets, and felt it made no difference -- don't forget that the stock cables are made of fairly solid components themselves.

As far as ergonomics, after sliding off the red/black sheath up top and cutting off the plastic meshing I find them very comfortable.  Sliding off the tubing makes the jack not protrude as much, taking the meshing off makes the exposed cable gets rid of the annoying grating cable effect any time you move.

Nov 14, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #6,603 of 18,459

Nice tip, I'll give it a try. I find the $300 for a cable to be a little hard to believe. There's a lot of profit in there. Make one yourself. Next change I get I'm going to make one using Silver wire and Audience's Auric wire. Total cost for making two cables will be under $120. I'll post feedback.
Quote:
If you're curious about custom cables, I say choose your favorite vendor and buy one, and return if you don't like the results -- avoid anyone w/ a restocking fee and you'll only be out ~20 for the cost of shipping to and back, and you'll never have to agonize over whether it would have made your setup better or not.  Personally I've had the chance to try some of ALO's custom cables at meets, and felt it made no difference -- don't forget that the stock cables are made of fairly solid components themselves.

As far as ergonomics, after sliding off the red/black sheath up top and cutting off the plastic meshing I find them very comfortable.  Sliding off the tubing makes the jack not protrude as much, taking the meshing off makes the exposed cable gets rid of the annoying grating cable effect any time you move.

Nov 14, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #6,604 of 18,459

Quote:

yeah stripping off the black casing and sheathing would make it look a lot less professional, but definitely more along the lines of what those recabling have been asking for: lighter, less microphonic, and more flexible.

Might just do that myself, actually.

Edit: not even unprofessional if you re-heatshrinked it afterwards... hell look at ALO's cable... would be similar in design.

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #6,605 of 18,459
Yes this is good advice.  I also find the price tags on the cables hard to swallow. 
1 day soon I will try an expensive and exotic cable and if I don't hear a noticeable difference in A/B comparisons I will be able to sleep easy knowing I won't ever have to spend anything on aftermarket cables again.  On the other hand if I do hear an improvement well that is even better news as it means I have been able to improve the sound of my favorite headphone.  That's what I call a win/win scenario!

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #6,606 of 18,459

Quote:
Yes this is good advice.  I also find the price tags on the cables hard to swallow. 
1 day soon I will try an expensive and exotic cable and if I don't hear a noticeable difference in A/B comparisons I will be able to sleep easy knowing I won't ever have to spend anything on aftermarket cables again.  On the other hand if I do hear an improvement well that is even better knews as it means I have been able to improve the sound of my favorite headphone.  That's what I call a win/win scenario!

That's the way to go! So long as the tests are blind, they are valid. They are you ears, so truly the best test.

Helps if you have someone to keep score for you and swap components so you really are only using your ears.

I would also go so far as to say that if changes with cables aren't apparent with the LCD-2, they won't be on any other headphone, so its not like it would be a lengthy process.

A great way to put your mind at ease. (and your wallet too ;p)

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #6,607 of 18,459

Quote:
Nice tip, I'll give it a try. I find the $300 for a cable to be a little hard to believe. There's a lot of profit in there. Make one yourself. Next change I get I'm going to make one using Silver wire and Audience's Auric wire. Total cost for making two cables will be under $120. I'll post feedback.
Quote:

Throw in some high quality solder and a connector of your choice and you are set.

The 4 pin xlr on the LCD-2 cups are supposedly tricky though.

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #6,608 of 18,459
Personally I don't find it all that unprofessional looking; the LCD2 looks off-the-wall as it is anyway, and a little bit of color can't hurt it one bit.  Would have been nice if the cables were red/white and black/white though, then I'd be able to get rid of the red/black sheaths.

and for anyone that cares, the Rx Mk2 is great with the LCD-2s.

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #6,609 of 18,459
The LCD-2's are so sexy.  When I see the headband stretched out like that, connected to the outside edge of the cups, with those plain looking C-brackets, man I just feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #6,610 of 18,459

Quote:
... When I see the headband stretched out like that, connected to the outside edge of the cups, with those plain looking C-brackets, man I just feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Man, even for head-fi that is so sick. 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #6,613 of 18,459
DIY headphone cables for the win definitely.  They are quite a bit of money for a small difference, but when one spends hours listening, that adds up to a lot of "small difference" IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back