Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Nov 14, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #6,586 of 18,459
Threw on "Converting Vegetarians" by infected mushroom today... oh boy is the phoenix + LCD-2 ever good. Sound stage is probably the best I have ever heard on this CD - no joke.

Transients are nuts and imaging is simply superb... they also have some sort of nazi-esque vendetta against distortion.... I love how I continue to enjoy this headphone more and more as time passes... instead of it loosing its FOTM :p.

that HE-6 ship is telling me to set sail before January 15th (i think) but I am already sailing the musical universe on my private yacht.. her name is the LCD-2 :p.

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #6,587 of 18,459

Quote:
Threw on "Converting Vegetarians" by infected mushroom today... oh boy is the phoenix + LCD-2 ever good. Sound stage is probably the best I have ever heard on this CD - no joke.

Transients are nuts and imaging is simply superb... they also have some sort of nazi-esque vendetta against distortion.... I love how I continue to enjoy this headphone more and more as time passes... instead of it loosing its FOTM :p.

that HE-6 ship is telling me to set sail before January 15th (i think) but I am already sailing the musical universe on my private yacht.. her name is the LCD-2 :p.

Ah, setting sail. As I sit here looking at the bay here in Pohnpei with the sun setting behind me. This side of the bay with the sun set and the other with the last rays saying goodbye. A few skiffs coming in and some going out for night fishing. A multitude of green hues mark the opposite shore and coconut palms sway. The breeze is right, the clouds are white and sky is blue, so set sail. :^)

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #6,588 of 18,459

yes, i have it set on low gain
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah i listen to the meier concerto at 8:30 too, but mostly at around 8. does anyone know if thats a healthy level? how does that mic thing work anyway, how do i use it?

Is that at low gain?

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #6,589 of 18,459
Quote:
yes, i have it set on low gain
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah i listen to the meier concerto at 8:30 too, but mostly at around 8. does anyone know if thats a healthy level? how does that mic thing work anyway, how do i use it?

Is that at low gain?

I was curious to know what the loudness would be around that setting so I checked it out with my Radioshack SPL meter using what I believe to be a typical track.  At the 9 o'clock position (easier to set it at 9 then 8:30), the loudness was measured to be about between 55 and 60 dBc, which is a bit low for my preference but, to each his own.

Nov 14, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #6,590 of 18,459

Quote:
How much power does it have?
Have you burned in your phoenix? Has the bass increased with burn in?

I have to say I am very happy with the Phoenix/LCD-2 combo. The headstage/soundstage is somewhat wider than with the SE amps I've tried, mating well with the more "intimate" presentation of the 'phones.  The result is somewhat more 'stat-like ('stats are balanced by default), but keeping the punch of dynamic cans and lets not forget the bass that's as sharp as the treble in most high-end cans.  I don't think that the Phoenix is a "wow" amp that would impress at meets (except for detail junkies possibly), and it doesn't do anything like gain bass or change tone with use, it just gets the hell out of the way and lets the music through without trying to impose any kind of character on it. Except moments of wanting to divert to some coloration for something different (for which having a good but coloured tube amp to hand serves well) I can get on with listening to and enjoying music and forgetting about the gear. I do wonder sometimes if the black boxes with their blue LEDs and silver knobs are actually doing anything, as I don't feel as if I can "hear" them.

Nov 14, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #6,591 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
How much power does it have?
Have you burned in your phoenix? Has the bass increased with burn in?

I have to say I am very happy with the Phoenix/LCD-2 combo. The headstage/soundstage is somewhat wider than with the SE amps I've tried, mating well with the more "intimate" presentation of the 'phones.  The result is somewhat more 'stat-like ('stats are balanced by default), but keeping the punch of dynamic cans and lets not forget the bass that's as sharp as the treble in most high-end cans.  I don't think that the Phoenix is a "wow" amp that would impress at meets (except for detail junkies possibly), and it doesn't do anything like gain bass or change tone with use, it just gets the hell out of the way and lets the music through without trying to impose any kind of character on it. Except moments of wanting to divert to some coloration for something different (for which having a good but coloured tube amp to hand serves well) I can get on with listening to and enjoying music and forgetting about the gear. I do wonder sometimes if the black boxes with their blue LEDs and silver knobs are actually doing anything, as I don't feel as if I can "hear" them.

+1 and x2

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #6,592 of 18,459
I get the chance to hear these for the first time tonight. Looking forward to getting chores done and watching some football after dinner to some old classics.

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #6,593 of 18,459
this has to be unusual. a case where less expensive gear(phoenix+lcd-2) is outperforming more expensive gear. i suppose these are better than the he90 and o2? excuse me, i have to go kick myself in the head!
or on second thought i could just buy a phoenix and lcd-2. that should prove less painful

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #6,594 of 18,459

Quote:
this has to be unusual. a case where less expensive gear(phoenix+lcd-2) is outperforming more expensive gear. i suppose these are better than the he90 and o2? excuse me, i have to go kick myself in the head!
or on second thought i could just buy a phoenix and lcd-2. that should prove less painful

who knows, but they certainly are redefining what kind of sound quality and experience can be had for a given amount of cash... which is a very good thing.

Nov 14, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #6,595 of 18,459

Quote:

The LCD2 is great.  I'm planning on ordering a pair if I find the HE6 is not to my liking.  After spending a couple weeks with the LCD2 and comparing it with my O2, I can say that as much as I like the LCD2, it is not as good the O2.  Others might disagree, but O2mk1 with a Blue Hawaii is a special thing indeed.

But if we were going bang for the buck in the higher end, the LCD2 would be on my very short list.

Nov 14, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #6,596 of 18,459
What have the different cables done for the sound after some time listening to the LCD-2 with after market. Does balanced bring about any noticeable change to the high frequencies and imaging?

Nov 14, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #6,597 of 18,459

Quote:
What have the different cables done for the sound after some time listening to the LCD-2 with after market. Does balanced bring about any noticeable change to the high frequencies and imaging?

I find that the Moon Audio Silver Dragon is just what the doctor ordered...the treble energy is enhanced just enough and gives the sound stage / sense of air a bump up in turn. It's an incredibly light cable (much lighter than the stock) and helps from an ergonomic perspective.

Nov 14, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #6,598 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

I find that the Moon Audio Silver Dragon is just what the doctor ordered...the treble energy is enhanced just enough and gives the sound stage / sense of air a bump up in turn. It's an incredibly light cable (much lighter than the stock) and helps from an ergonomic perspective.

I really value transparency. One thing I have read is there is a feeling of less transparency with the LCD-2's when playing live music, and the feeling of the "live" stage isn't quite there. Does the Silver Dragon enhance the transparency?

Nov 14, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #6,599 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I really value transparency. One thing I have read is there is a feeling of less transparency with the LCD-2's when playing live music, and the feeling of the "live" stage isn't quite there. Does the Silver Dragon enhance the transparency?

I find the sound stage and imaging on the LCD-2s incredible. While not as wide as the HD800s (but then again what is?), it can still portray an incredible visual image in one's mind (Left to Right and Front to Back). I do find an improvement with the Silver Dragon , not huge, but a bit more believable. The cymbals seem more properly located (front to back imaging) to my ears. Without the cable, the LCD-2s were my second favourite headphone (right after the T1s), but with the cable, it really put them "over the top" for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back