Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #1,337 of 13,134
Quote:
So would i be losing a lot if paired the lcd 2 with a Schiit Lyr / Bifrost combo?

I haven't heard that combo personally, but it's pretty popular around here, especially at that price point.

Jun 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #1,338 of 13,134
Long time since I listened to this combination but...it's pretty good. You wouldn't be "losing" anything; it's a fine place to start. Think of it more as you would 'gain' something later if/when you move 'up'.

The key variable is the Lyr, which is very responsive to tube-rolling. There's an extremely long thread dedicated to it. If you go this way, best advice is start with modestly-priced tubes suggested in that thread (the last 20-30 pages will give you an overview, as new people joining the thread mostly ask for a summary [they prefer to get straight to the spoilers than read the whole novel :D]). Learn Lyr's capabilities and your preferences before remotely considering uber-expensive tubes.

So would i be losing a lot if paired the lcd 2 with a Schiit Lyr / Bifrost combo?

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #1,339 of 13,134
I haven't heard that combo personally, but it's pretty popular around here, especially at that price point.

This is my current setup. I find it fantastic! Certainly the best I've had the pleasure of owning. I rolled in an $80 pair of tubes that helped. I'm going to upgrade to the taboo and w4s dac2 eventually, but am perfectly fine with the lyr/bifrost for the next year or so.

Edit: quoted wrong person, but yeah..

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #1,340 of 13,134
Quote:
This is my current setup. I find it fantastic! Certainly the best I've had the pleasure of owning. I rolled in an $80 pair of tubes that helped. I'm going to upgrade to the taboo and w4s dac2 eventually, but am perfectly fine with the lyr/bifrost for the next year or so.

Edit: quoted wrong person, but yeah..

Ha ha...  That's cool.  Glad you're enjoying your setup 
size]

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #1,341 of 13,134
^ Thanks for chiming in. Exactly right. A pair of $80 (for both) Matsu (National) 6922s sure opened my ears to what the Lyr is capable of doing.

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #1,342 of 13,134
Quote:

The Lyr/Bifrost pairs very well with the LCD 2. With the right tubes, it will blow any amp/dac at the same price out of the water. WA7 may be an exception, your going to want to look into that one as well. Not only is the Schiit stack good with the LCD 2 but it has enough power to drive my HD800's which are a 300 ohm headphone compared to the LCD at around 60 ohm. And it sounds great with them as well. Now mind you this is no endgame setup, but it will keep you going for a long time. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #1,343 of 13,134
The Lyr/Bifrost pairs very well with the LCD 2. With the right tubes, it will blow any amp/dac at the same price out of the water. WA7 may be an exception, your going to want to look into that one as well. Not only is the Schiit stack good with the LCD 2 but it has enough power to drive my HD800's which are a 300 ohm headphone compared to the LCD at around 60 ohm. And it sounds great with them as well. Now mind you this is no endgame setup, but it will keep you going for a long time. 

+1

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #1,344 of 13,134
Look what I picked up 
size]
 (Not the best picture but I am too busy listening to them to take a proper one 
size]
). Thinking of getting a Little Dot MKVI+ for it (comes in silver, will sit nicely on top of my DAC dimension wise, balanced inputs, balanced output and being able to roll tubes is very handy) or the Yulong A18, but am thinking the MKVI+ would be better for me. No longer interested in the V200, Mjolnir or BHA-1 as I have said in the LCD-2 amp thread. Will of course need to get some nice cables and a headphone stand too 
size]

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #1,345 of 13,134
Comparatively to the AKG K701 on the Schiit Bifrost (uber) + Lyr, the LCD-2r2 are superior, but not by as much as I would have suspected. The LCD has the edge on bass but the AKG have the edge on highs and soundstage.

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #1,347 of 13,134
Quote:
I'm sure this has been asked before but do the LCD-3 pads fit with the LCD-2 Rev2s?

Definitely would, as they both have the same dimensions and the pads are put on with an adhesive anyway.

Of course, the problem is the changes in sound it would result in.  The few reviews I've read in the past of LCD-3 pads on LCD-2 weren't too favourable IIRC.  

Jun 20, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #1,349 of 13,134
Quote:
Look what I picked up 
size]
 (Not the best picture but I am too busy listening to them to take a proper one 
size]
). Thinking of getting a Little Dot MKVI+ for it (comes in silver, will sit nicely on top of my DAC dimension wise, balanced inputs, balanced output and being able to roll tubes is very handy) or the Yulong A18, but am thinking the MKVI+ would be better for me. No longer interested in the V200, Mjolnir or BHA-1 as I have said in the LCD-2 amp thread. Will of course need to get some nice cables and a headphone stand too 
size]

That's like the best photo of the LCD-2 I've seen in a long time.
eek.gif
 I shudder to think what you can produce if you took your time with the camera/flash.

Jun 20, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #1,350 of 13,134
Quote:

Definitely would, as they both have the same dimensions and the pads are put on with an adhesive anyway.

Of course, the problem is the changes in sound it would result in.  The few reviews I've read in the past of LCD-3 pads on LCD-2 weren't too favourable IIRC.  

That's BS, the earpads only result in a positive improvement as they provide a better seal. I have LCD-3 pads on my Rev 2s myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back